Subaru Ascent Forum banner
341 - 349 of 349 Posts

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Will the Cobb AP address the jerky nature when applying light throttle at around 25-45 mph?
Yes, but it's an expensive method to do so. It's all about foot use and foot placement. But, sometimes relearning such an odd throttle mapping is tough. The 87 tune on the AccessPort smooths out the mapping.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Will the Cobb AP address the jerky nature when applying light throttle at around 25-45 mph?
From my experience very little. It has been a while since I drove without the AP. It stills seems to engage and bob around under low throttle conditions. As Robert said you learn to change your throttle input, not a perfect solution, but it can be done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We haven't had any requests for changes, or complaints on the Ascent tunes, so we have no plans to alter them as long as everyone is happy.
We understand some will decide to get custom tunes which are more aggressive, but we've seen what additional torque does to the transmission and we are not comfortable removing the margin of safety we've intentionally put in our tunes.

And in terms of the hard part we were developing, we tried, but are not bringing the product we tested to market at this time.

A stock vehicle with a tune can easily make more power than the transmission can handle, so where did that lead us?
The stock intake has a carbon trap and it flows better than it needs to already.
The exhaust system also flows well and houses critical emissions components, plus we don't get the feeling Ascent owners want their car to be loud for no performance gain.
The wastegate system works awesome, and the bypass valve doesn't leak at any reasonable pressure.
The intercooler works really well at reasonable boost levels, but maybe we can make it better?

We 3d scanned, CAD modeled, fabricated, got castings made, created ducting, flow benched, dyno and road tested etc.
It turns out after a great deal of effort, at a power level the stock CVT can handle, there just isn't much room for improvement, and there isn't a need to replace the intercooler.
If as the cars age we find people report the stock intercooler is failing at the seams, or something of that nature, then we'll be happy to fill the need.

I don't suspect there's a 6 speed manual option coming soon, so are there any non power related products you're hoping for from COBB?
Well, since you're asking... What are the chances y'all could come up with a nice snorkel kit? Something that's somewhat low-profile and doesn't stick up higher than the roof rails and cross bar (some of us scrape garages in DC :/)?

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Well, since you're asking... What are the chances y'all could come up with a nice snorkel kit? Something that's somewhat low-profile and doesn't stick up higher than the roof rails and cross bar (some of us scrape garages in DC :/)?
@COBB Tuning let me know when I'm testing it!!!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,851 Posts
Wonder COBB can use new incoming 2022 WRX GT as bench mark to address CVT issue.
Not sure if it's the same CVT model...have specs been published yet? It was just revealed a few days ago.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem is, the development cost vs return. How many COBB tuned WRX's are out there. How many Ford Focus RS's are out there.

How many Ascent owners (really) are going to marry a $650 AP to their ECU. It's a numbers game and the numbers don't add up to make any sense for them.
I did and absolutely love the all difference by running the 93 map. Transmissions, smoother, idler response time is quicker, 5-6 more mpg, 40+hp, and all that damn dead space in the peddle is gone. Had to reflash ECU back to stock to take it in for a service and the stock map sucks dumpster juice compared to the COBB 93 map. Couldn’t wait to change it back.

341 - 349 of 349 Posts