Subaru Ascent Forum banner
301 - 320 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Hello, I just drove from Houston to Dallas using the Cobb 83 tune and got 20.5 miles per gallon going 70 to 80 miles per hour the whole distance. On my return trip, Same speeds, I used the Cobb 93 tune and got the same 20.5 miles per gallon. Only difference was price of gas 1.79 per gal 83 and 2.20 per gal for 93.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hello, I just drove from Houston to Dallas using the Cobb 83 tune and got 20.5 miles per gallon going 70 to 80 miles per hour the whole distance. On my return trip, Same speeds, I used the Cobb 93 tune and got the same 20.5 miles per gallon. Only difference was price of gas 1.79 per gal 83 and 2.20 per gal for 93.
That must have been at 80 and not 70(I lived in Texas for 35+ years and drive 80 there) I get 24.5mpg when keeping it to 70 with no tune involved.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,851 Posts
I agree with Q-Man'...I don't have the tune (100% OEM) and get about 27 at 65-70 on highway trips with 87 fuel. I can see it dipping down to 20 no problem at 80 mph, however.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Also, there should be no difference between the 87+ and 93+ COBB tune wrt mpg (I am pretty sure). If anything the 93 should get worse gas mileage I would think.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Question on this, as I'm looking at buying... I assume you just buy an Access Port from Cobb (for ~$675), and put the management software on your computer, then use it to download the maps for the Ascent, connect the access port to the Ascent and choose and use your map (then remember to revert things prior to taking it into Subaru for maintenance)? Are there additional purchases or fees required (like a subscription fee or similar)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Question on this, as I'm looking at buying... I assume you just buy an Access Port from Cobb (for ~$675), and put the management software on your computer, then use it to download the maps for the Ascent, connect the access port to the Ascent and choose and use your map (then remember to revert things prior to taking it into Subaru for maintenance)? Are there additional purchases or fees required (like a subscription fee or similar)?

Thanks!
You are correct and there are no more fees after initial purchase.

·
Registered
266 Posts
A couple of observations: when measuring you should always measure both ways (round trip) on each fuel. If you measure one way, the difference in elevation favors one and counters the other. Also the wind could be adding or subtracting 5 or 10 mph to your speed, to add or subtract wind resistance.

In any case, I think your result seems reasonable. I don't see why you would expect better mileage or worse. Driving at constant high speed you produce small torque at low revs for a long time, and that is not where the difference between your tunes is. Now if you run the engine above 3000 rpm all the way uphill then you'll see that with one tune you can produce so much more torque that in theory it should give you better mileage as you can back off a bit or use a higher gear ratio.
But why even go there and test it, if you have an Access port is because you like extra torque and acceleration, just accept the price that comes with it. If on that trip you wanted to overtake somebody, you'll miss not having the 93 tune installed, so I keep it all the time.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Thanks!
It's actually simpler than that, mine came preinstalled with latest maps so all you need to do is follow the instructions to flash your vehicle. No need for your computer unless there's an update to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No problem,
You'll notice the difference in the drivability if you have concerns about the constant "hunting" for power and throttle input adjustments as I did.
It's a whole new vehicle.
Hey brother, are you referring to a COBB OTS tune? I’ve been curious on who can do tuning for our vehicles. I’m assuming you’re running an OTS map?

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts
@COBB Tuning , I have a '21 Ascent on order. Via the web site '21s are not an option yet for a Cobb tuner. How long does it typically take to have one for the next model year?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Howdy all. I hope everyone is staying safe and making the most of things, including enjoying their Ascents. :)

@COBBtuning . Any further information about a performance upgrade? I have been waiting patiently. It's been a few months since my bumper guard and lights install. I'm considering a K&N air filter, did read through that thread (and watched youtube projectfarm video, highly recommend). But before I pull the trigger I'd love to hear a) if I should hold out for a COBB release? b) will a KN Air filter make any difference with my AP stage 1 91 octance?
I think I wrote something up about the limitation of the CVT in here, but this thread has become pretty long. :) The test vehicles were run up to the point of the CVT slipping, then backed off a calculated amount to achieve safe operation for our customers. There was no need for mechanical changes to make the vehicle output more then the CVT could safely handle. Changing the filter won't add power. I would stick with stock or stock style filters which better protect the engine from debris than high flow units which favor flow over filtration since there won't be a performance benefit, but that's just my personal view.
Keep in mind also that with OP’s 91oct, a 91 ProTune will not stress the power train as much as full blown 93.
A conservative 91 ProTune by a quality tuner would bring the car up to powerful but safe levels IMO, not a “ragged-edge balls-out” 93 ProTune by a hack, as it were.
You could easily over stress the power train on 91, or 87, by simply taking an OTS map and increasing the boost targets. I mapped the whole system so that's all a Protuner has to do, but careful R&D determined safe limits for torque output so any further increase beyond OTS is playing with fire.
Hello, Question for Cobb, I am considering getting the Hood with scoop for my Ascent Touring (for looks). From prior posts, you are working on some updates. Would my getting the hood help, hinder or have no effect, if I install the hood and buy you updates? I will also have the Accessport. Thanks
I would advise against it. The stock intercooler ducting on the Ascent from the front grill is excellent and a scoop without a very well engineered and executed duct and shroud system would hurt cooling which will detract from engine performance and reliability.
I don’t know if this has been discussed but I’m thinking of using Torco additive to increase octane to 93 or above because there is no available 93 at my area. Any thoughts or recommendations? I’ve been eyeing the Cobb accessport for a while.
VP Octanium Unleaded works fantastic if you want to give it a shot. One can added to a full tank of 91 would be more than enough to run the OTS 93 map.
I think I might do that. There is 100 octane available I. My area but $9.20 a gallon...gulp.
100 unleaded at local pumps often performs worse than 93 because it sits there so long and barely anyone buys it. I've had situations where it performed worse than 91. Unless you're purchasing race fuel in a sealed container from a good race fuel supplier like VP, or at a race track which sells through their stock frequently, you're far more likely to have success with a quality octane booster. The VP Octanium Unleaded is under 30 bucks and treats at least a full tank of gas on the Ascent. I actually tried it with 87 in the tank on the OTS 93 tune and the logs looked good, but that was with good quality 87. If you live in an area without great quality fuel, 1/2 tank 87 to a full bottle of Octanium, or full tank 91 to a full bottle of Octanium would be more advisable. Either way, I don't feel this is something to do long term, every tank of fuel, but if you don't have 93 in your area, it can be a fun way to add extra power once in a while.
That's far lower than I get, but being steady on the throttle or setting the cruise control acceleration to be smoother makes a big difference. Wind and traffic also play a big roll, as does temperature. You get better fuel economy when it's hot out. If you're interested, I wrote an article on that before I started working for COBB. It goes into detail on fuel economy losses when it's cooler outside. For example, tire pressure is a huge factor that's temperature related. Winter Fuel Economy Reduction - Causes and Helpful Hints - Innovative Tuning
Also, there should be no difference between the 87+ and 93+ COBB tune wrt mpg (I am pretty sure). If anything the 93 should get worse gas mileage I would think.
Right on. Only if you floor it or get pretty close to flooring it, where the 93 map has higher max output.

Thanks!
As someone mentioned the maps are pre loaded on the Accessport so it will be ready to go upon arrival if you buy it new. We do update maps sometimes to make improvements, but I spent so much time on the original maps and feedback has been so spectacular that there's been no need for an update.
@COBB Tuning , I have a '21 Ascent on order. Via the web site '21s are not an option yet for a Cobb tuner. How long does it typically take to have one for the next model year?
It really depends on how much Subaru changes, and we have no way to know until we have access to a vehicle. Sometimes it's 2 months of work, sometimes a year or 2. We know it can be confusing, but even when the vehicle appears to be "the same" as the prior year, there are things related to what we do which if changed, make it a huge project. Hopefully 2021 will be an "easy" one, but that remains to be seen. I'm glad to hear you're looking forward to it!

Mike @ COBB

·
Registered
43 Posts
In Bill Lumbergh's voice from Office Space

"Yea... gonna need that COBB Accessport for my 2021 Ascent Touring... That'd be greeeaaat... Thanks......"
(y)
The last OTS map is in the final phase of road testing, there's a bit more final software and firmware testing to go as well some other odds and ends, but the 21 Ascent support project is going great. We never know something is done until it's really done because we do so many quality assurance checks, but we are getting there!

PS: COBB got a 21 Touring for the project and it's SO nice inside. :) The partial autonomous driving also seems to have taken a significant step forward. It's no longer like bumper bowling, bouncing back and forth between the lines on the road.

-Mike

301 - 320 of 349 Posts