Subaru Ascent Forum banner
261 - 280 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
TLDR, sorry...

I have the Cobb Accessport on order. I didn't realize, but the Cobb map is $110 extra (or does that come loaded on the device)?

How much does an individualized pro tune run?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Okay, now I've read, sorry...

Very excited for the AP. Although stage 1 specifies stock intake and exhaust, is anyone running stage 1 with intake it exhaust? I have in mind the nameless axelback...

Would the map dynamically take advantage of the better aspiration? No difference? Or, would they not play nicely?

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think I've read somewhere or in my email discussions with the guys at Cobb, that the axleback won't make 'much' difference with or without a tune. The Catback (which I installed from Nameless) 'may' have some very minor gains with the stage 1. Mostly the exhaust just sounds great. But the real difference maker is including the J-pipe for a full turbo-back exhaust. This WOULD absolutely require a pro-tune. Cobb advised me they will NOT be developing a stage 2 tune and advised against the J-pipe with aggressive pro-tune as they were easily able to get the CVT to slip.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts

Very excited for the AP. Although stage 1 specifies stock intake and exhaust, is anyone running stage 1 with intake it exhaust? I have in mind the nameless axelback...

Would the map dynamically take advantage of the better aspiration? No difference? Or, would they not play nicely?
It is very ill-advised to run an aftermarket air intake on a turbo Subaru unless there's a specific OTS or Protune FOR that intake.
It has been this way since Turbo Subarus. Can wrek havoc on stuff and offer no gain. Worsens the engine and power output. Nothing like throwing a cold-air intake on a naturally aspirated Civic or something, which essentially just leans it out.
When COBB says they're developing a bolt-on part for the Ascent, my gut says it's an intake. They will simultaneously release a Stg 1 map to go along with that intake. Or, they won't do it at all.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It looks like our stimulus check might be about 1/2 the additional we owe the IRS for '19. We'll get it and send it right back.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
It looks like our stimulus check might be about 1/2 the additional we owe the IRS for '19. We'll get it and send it right back.
Daughters will get it, but not us...that's good because one's a college student whose front-of-house hours at the restaurant have disappeared for now so she's only getting her back-of-house hours doing accounting (which is also her internship this semester) for now. Older daughter is disabled so having a few more shekels to work with will help her out.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
43 Posts
TLDR, sorry...

I have the Cobb Accessport on order. I didn't realize, but the Cobb map is $110 extra (or does that come loaded on the device)?

How much does an individualized pro tune run?
The COBB maps are included at no extra charge.

No tuning change is required.

-Mike @ COBB

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hah. We're putting what "stimulus" we're getting toward paying the IRS the additional we owe for '19, so we'll be sending it right back to them.

I know. That doesn't sound very stimulating, does it.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Uninstalled my Cobb AP today to take my Ascent for its second oil change, now at 6k miles, and it no longer felt as lively and the smoothness of the gas pedal was gone. It’s amazing how much difference the AP makes...even on 87 octane. Once home, I quickly reinstalled my AP.

On a Sport Subaru South service department note, they were doing complimentary interior disinfecting with the Transform Disinfectant product, both before and after servicing my vehicle. Another first, while waiting I received a text with a video link of the tech going over my vehicle. The tech said what looked good, what fluids needed topping off, showed the measuring of each tire’s tread depth, and showed the various parts of my vehicle from underneath. I thought that was pretty darn cool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picked up my limited yesterday for my wife’s Mother’s Day presents and ordered an my access port for my Father’s Day present.
Had the a p on my Wrx and loved the change so I can’t wait!

·
Administrator
795 Posts
Technically it is an advance on your annual tax deduction (credit) the Feds normally give people...

Ours was equivalent to what we received from our 2019 taxes... - yay for kids...

Anyone else thinking about spending ½ their stimulus check on an AP?

·
Administrator
795 Posts
Why did you feel the need to uninstall?

I do not leave the AP unit in the car, but I don't change the mapping back to factory when taking in for service...

C.

Uninstalled my Cobb AP today to take my Ascent for its second oil change.... Once home, I quickly reinstalled my AP.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Cobb advised to reset it to factory anytime it’s taken in for service. That way, if their is a factory update to install, they can install it. With the AP installed, the dealership would be unable to update it. That’s how I understand it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Why did you feel the need to uninstall?

I do not leave the AP unit in the car, but I don't change the mapping back to factory when taking in for service...

C.
It may cause future warranty issues if the dealership documents that the car has a custom tune.

261 - 280 of 349 Posts