Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just sent an email to Cobb Tuning to see about tuning a Subaru Ascent.

This is their response.

I'm sorry to say that we do not have any support for the Subaru Ascent yet. Our Subaru development team is diligently at work right now to bring out support for that 2019 model. At this moment, we only have a tentative release date for late summer 2019. If you subscribe to our Facebook page or create an account on our website, we will announce it when it is released though.

Please email them to let them know there is demand.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Being that subaru is using this platform for other vehicles it makes sense that Cobb would jump in on this.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Being that subaru is using this platform for other vehicles it makes sense that Cobb would jump in on this.
The problem is, the development cost vs return. How many COBB tuned WRX's are out there. How many Ford Focus RS's are out there.

How many Ascent owners (really) are going to marry a $650 AP to their ECU. It's a numbers game and the numbers don't add up to make any sense for them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The problem is, the development cost vs return. How many COBB tuned WRX's are out there. How many Ford Focus RS's are out there.

How many Ascent owners (really) are going to marry a $650 AP to their ECU. It's a numbers game and the numbers don't add up to make any sense for them.
My point was now that the legacy and outback is on the same platform that will increase the numbers.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Even so. I do not think that COBB would have ever offered tunes for the 2005-2009 LGT/OBXTs if the platform wasn't so close to the surrounding WRX and STI's at the time. I mean, the Legacy's and Outback got lucky and were able to hitchhike along.

If people are really serious about tuning their Ascent. XRT (Extreme Racing Tuning) could be talked into it. I know Ed just got himself a used Tribeca and has turned that sucker up, he was d*mn near gitty about it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'd have to see what the tune provided in terms of a performance increase. I do think the ascent is quick/powerful enough for what it is, but this is my slowest car, and I do love speed (when it's mated to a chassis that can handle the speed). I don't feel in it's stock configuration, the Ascent suspension can handle a lot more power, and I don't know if there's anybody who makes components to improve that aspect yet (or ever will).

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Today, COBB has told me that they are "still very early in the investigation phase with the Ascent to know what trim levels and monitors are to be supported for the Ascent."

But at least that sounds like it's going to happen. Some day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think they will have something in the future considering the same motor is going into the Outback shortly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It all depends what will happen with next generation WRX/STI... If one of those gets FA24DIT in any form (probably tuned for 91-93 octane) we may get lucky with Ascent/Outback/Legacy. It will be interesting to see what FA24DIT can do with just 91-93 tune.
I was honestly surprised that they did Forester 2014-2018 XT since engine was slightly different than in WRX and that take rate for Forester was like 5%. Ascent/Outback/Legacy combined should have much higher numbers of turbo engines vs 2014-2018 Forester XT.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It all depends what will happen with next generation WRX/STI... If one of those gets FA24DIT in any form (probably tuned for 91-93 octane) we may get lucky with Ascent/Outback/Legacy. It will be interesting to see what FA24DIT can do with just 91-93 tune.
I was honestly surprised that they did Forester 2014-2018 XT since engine was slightly different than in WRX and that take rate for Forester was like 5%. Ascent/Outback/Legacy combined should have much higher numbers of turbo engines vs 2014-2018 Forester XT.
I agree 100%. I don't think the 2014-2018 FXT would have been supported by Cobb if the FA20DIT had not been planned for use in the 2015 WRX. The use of the FXT platform gained Cobb a year head start on development that they otherwise wouldn't have had for the WRX.

If the FA24 is only in the Ascent / Outback XT / Legacy XT, I think the tuning support will be very limited. If there is solid evidence a derivative of the FA24 will be in the next WRX / STI, I think we will get better support from tuners who are looking to gain early developmental knowledge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't tune 2015 Forester XT since power was already good for chassis/suspension and it was already made to optimally run on premium, so gains on stage 1 weren't that significant. It was also questionable how much more HP/TQ CVT can handle. Ascent/Outback XT are optimized for 87 and CVT is revised for 5klb towing so they have much better potential for stage 1 gains with minimal risk. But, I doubt that many Ascent owners will do it, with maybe more Outback XT and hopefully future Forester XT go that route.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would be worried about the warranty as this is really the wifes car, but if we could get rid of the fake shift points and gain a few MPGs with a stage 0 tune and monitor CVT temps, I would go for it. That and the dealer I bought mine from is ok with mods.

·
Registered
649 Posts
OK.

Ed, from Extreme Racing Tuning (XRT) contacted me. He would like a stock ECU ROM from the Ascent. The process is very simple and will not put your car at ANY risk. It also will NOT leave ANY imprint since no new tune is being loaded. Just the stock ROM pulled from the car.

I would be willing to coach anyone through the process. It involves some opensource software. A laptop and a Tactrix cable ($170). I would be willing to offer my cable (free of charge to anyone interested) Ed will get there quicker than COBB and provide better service.

If you want to help develop a tune for the Ascent, please PM me or contact me at [email protected] for tactrix exchange and process discussion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What is the most annoying thing about the Ascent?
  1. Laggy DBW?
  2. Delivery of power which occurs 4000+rpm?
  3. CVT feels a little less footed?

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
What is the most annoying thing about the Ascent?
  1. Laggy DBW?
  2. Delivery of power which occurs 4000+rpm?
  3. CVT feels a little less footed?
Could you explain those? Power hits at 2000 rpm, and turbo spool is quite early (hence many of the mpg complaints).

·
Registered
114 Posts
The turbo setup in this model, the Exiga, Forester all behaves the same. That's is, full boost very early in the rpm for pulling and off-roading to some point. So not much topend due to the small backend/turbine.

Due to the need to be always in boost over a certain throttle level, it's always using fuel. The price you pay for a heavy vehicle and a small engine. I would expect the air filter to be dirty quicker.

In all models, due to emissions, you don't see any real performance until 4000+ rpm.

The other points are self explanatory.

Cvt footed mean you can feel the power into the ground for traction.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good morning!

When you have such a heavy vehicle with little power room to deal with, the only improvements that can be made is in the throttle and the cvt behaviour. Next up is to enhance the fuel delivery.

I owned a 2013 Tribeca. It is a number of months old now. I never through it could run down or even pass a stock wrx. It is fun to drive after tuning. I even run a little of VP Racing Q16 in it for added power. I will be soon be deleting my cats and may install some raptor headers. I may even get rid of the mid section and install a nice Magnaflow Resonator. I still want it to be quiet.

What I am trying to say, when one understands the limitations and work with it, you can effect changes that can make such cars a little enjoyable. Nothing beats displacement and hence why the well know manufacturers like BMW, Porsche, Audi and a few others, you will never see this madness. But I suspect we will see a new larger engine in the future, but due to emissions I wonder.

Have a great day guys and I hope to have a rom soon to investigate the possibilities.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
The turbo setup in this model, the Exiga, Forester all behaves the same. That's is, full boost very early in the rpm for pulling and off-roading to some point. So not much topend due to the small backend/turbine.
That's not quite accurate. And the MGT22 isn't exactly small, especially compared to the non existent turbo in the Forester (no longer comes with a turbo).

Have you driven an Ascent yet?

It's the first Subaru with this drive train.

As for the next Subies with it, that'd be the 2020 Outback, which stomps on the outgoing 2019 Outback 3.6R. And, while the Ascent only weighs a little bit more than the Tribeca, it's a lot faster, more powerful and more fuel efficient.

As for what the capabilities and possibilities are, we're already watching a couple of people who are tuning this.

Personally, I don't see the need, and I tow a travel trailer that weighs as much as the Tribeca. I don't plan on racing the Ascent. ;)

1 - 20 of 220 Posts