Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
This past weekend I started to hear the same noise described in this thread. I have 1800 miles and 2 and half months.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Our Ascent is now doing this as well. It is intermittent. Started two weeks ago one day and stopped the next day I drove and did not hear it again for two weeks. This was on a 400 mile trip. Strated doing it again yesterday and again today. Like others it started making noise during a slow left turn. It is now making the noise on some bumps. Scheduling an appointment to have it looked at.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Been noticing this noise in ours, picked up new on 6/3/19, and closing in on 1600 miles due to a big trip the first 10 days. Except ours definitely sounds like it's in the driver's side front. Having been through something with a 1990 Mustang GT, which had very similar noises after putting in some new strut upper bushings, I have to suspect something going on with the strut or its supports binding and then suddenly releasing a bit. Will be checking with the dealer before too long, and will report back when I can (may be a bit, though).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing on my 2019 Ascent I have it in the dealership right now for the second time bought it May 31st! Last time they told me it was the brake pads or something that needed adjusting. How many times do you take a brand new car in before the Lemon Law applies? I love my car though just don't want clunking sound in the front end

·
Registered
40 Posts
Had the same noise. Had the dealer replace the front passenger side lower control arm sine it ha too much play. Than after not fixing the clunk prob ultimately replace he strut. All is perfect now. No noise now. If dealer is still reluctant to replace the strut, call SOA. Start a query. They will get it replaced. My clunk was on the recovery side. Like I said all is quiet now.
Ahh, you were the one I was reading about. I admit my problem has not risen to this level...yet. I am starting to isolate it down to when going over a bump and the suspension is recovering when the vehicle's weight is compressing the front right strut the sound happens, not on the return which I initially thought. Need more time to determine the exact conditions it happens under.

Please keep us posted on how your resolution comes

·
Registered
51 Posts
Update on ours; basically we haven't had the noise in a couple of months (at least not at a level we hear). I guess something wore in enough or re-positioned itself enough through motion?

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Update on ours; basically we haven't had the noise in a couple of months (at least not at a level we hear). I guess something wore in enough or re-positioned itself enough through motion?
If yours was related to the spring rubbing on the top mount, then, yes, that's possible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the bulletin reference; I suppose ours is not part of that; our VIN is beyond that phase in number (ours starts K348). Also, I couldn't describe ours as "rattling" in the steering - it was definitely a "clunk" kind of sound elsewhere in the front end - a large release of something bound up moving suddenly for a short distance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

Started noticing a new problem with my less than 2 week old Ascent. There is an occasional clunking sound coming from the right front when going over some bumps while driving straight. Doesn't happen all the time, but some bumps cause the problem. I have read others having issues with clunking but not much in the way of resolutions. I am still piecing together the pattern of what might cause it. This is going to be one of those problems that will be intermittent and never reproducible by the dealer I just know it.

Anyone else have anything similar to this issue?
Strut mount is your problem I had a similar issue on my Ascent while driving slow then the noise would be evident.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Experiencing the same issue with my wife’s car. Started earlier this week or maybe last week not sure because initially it was very rare and only occurred for a second or two. Tonight we went down a gravel road and it was horrible basically constant on the rough gravel. Sound is coming from the right wheel well area or so it seems. I’m so pissed we both love this car but having issues like this at 2k miles is insane to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Got another few hundred miles on ours (~6600 now) and have started getting a "grunch" sound from the passenger front when making 90 degree turns left from a stop (like a left turn after a stop sign). Have an appointment Monday to get it looked at. Also noticed several smoke clouds after starts - parked overnight on an incline - nose up, mostly - maybe slightly down on passenger side. Normal starts at home are on a pretty flat area. These are the first cold starts on a hill, and it had its first oil change at the dealer a couple of weeks ago. If the smoke starts continue, I'll be posting on the other thread. Hopefully I'll have something to report on the suspension noise next week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Experiencing the same issue with my wife’s car. Started earlier this week or maybe last week not sure because initially it was very rare and only occurred for a second or two. Tonight we went down a gravel road and it was horrible basically constant on the rough gravel. Sound is coming from the right wheel well area or so it seems. I’m so pissed we both love this car but having issues like this at 2k miles is insane to me.
Your problem is the struts assembly. I have both of them replaced by the dealership. Problem is that it takes more than one visit to dealership to get your problem solved.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Got another few hundred miles on ours (~6600 now) and have started getting a "grunch" sound from the passenger front when making 90 degree turns left from a stop (like a left turn after a stop sign). Have an appointment Monday to get it looked at. Also noticed several smoke clouds after starts - parked overnight on an incline - nose up, mostly - maybe slightly down on passenger side. Normal starts at home are on a pretty flat area. These are the first cold starts on a hill, and it had its first oil change at the dealer a couple of weeks ago. If the smoke starts continue, I'll be posting on the other thread. Hopefully I'll have something to report on the suspension noise next week.
After the few hundred highway miles to get back home, the noise in the front passenger side is gone. Already had the appointment with the dealer and they looked at it, but no problem found. And starts on level ground produce no smoke. Guess we're good to keep going a bit longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just brought home our new 2020 Subaru Ascent less than three weeks ago. We've hardly driven it (less than 400 miles) and it's already making this clunking noise coming from the front right wheel. It's so bad that I find myself driving under the speed limit and avoiding any bumps even on fairly well maintained local roads. Looks like no one has posted in this forum for a while, but does anyone have any advice? I'm obviously going back in to the dealer, but it'd be great to have some extra knowledge of the issue. I really hope they don't just dismiss the problem and that it can be fixed.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
We just brought home our new 2020 Subaru Ascent less than three weeks ago. We've hardly driven it (less than 400 miles) and it's already making this clunking noise coming from the front right wheel. It's so bad that I find myself driving under the speed limit and avoiding any bumps even on fairly well maintained local roads. Looks like no one has posted in this forum for a while, but does anyone have any advice? I'm obviously going back in to the dealer, but it'd be great to have some extra knowledge of the issue. I really hope they don't just dismiss the problem and that it can be fixed.
Other than to have the dealer check it out, not really. If it's the strut, they'll figure it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here. It's gotten worse. The noise started in the right front wheel but now I hear in on both. This car has had a lot of problems. Already had to replace the entire wiring harness. I hate to bring it back to the dealership again, but it's a very disconcerting noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bumping this up since most of this communication took place months ago. Has anyone been able to resolve this issue or understand what is causing it? I just scheduled a service appointment with Subaru and I'd like to be able to explain to them what the issue might be.

·
Registered
2019 Limited
20 Posts
Bumping this up since most of this communication took place months ago. Has anyone been able to resolve this issue or understand what is causing it? I just scheduled a service appointment with Subaru and I'd like to be able to explain to them what the issue might be.
I've tried twice to get the clunking in my (mainly) driver side front suspension fixed (2019). The first time, they replaced the axle shaft. The second time, they did the TSB on the strut. The noise was still there, so my husband finally found a minute and put it on jacks. He believes it's the sway bar link. I haven't taken it back yet. I've already been so many times for so many other things. I think I saw you list quite a few of the same things I've had issues with on another thread, and if you have a 2020 or 2021, I'm just kind of baffled how these smaller things seem to have not been worked out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2020 Ascent.

Experienced a clunking noise in passenger area, especially over dips and some bumps with only about 1,500 miles on the car. They replaced the right strut and hub unit.

Noticed a similar noise on the drivers side at around 3,500 miles. They replaced the left strut, strut mount, and strut mount bearing. During test drive, the techs felt like they heard something on the right side. But needed to order parts ...

So they also replaced the passenger strut mount at about 4,000 miles.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts