Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working with a few local dealers here in Cleveland Ohio, does anyone have a good experience with any of them? I'm still deciding between a few and need to look into the VIP pricing not that we have settled on the Ascent. I would LOVE to score an ambassador coupon, but that seems next to impossible.

As I'm working through the trims dealers have presented me and I'm getting some with HUGE accessory add on costs.

My question is what accessories have to be installed at the factory/port vs what can I buy myself and install after. For instance I've installed my own splash guards etc. The good and bad with Subaru is the amount of accessories available, its hard to know what can be installed by the owners. Any websites that are recommended for these items?

We've settled on the Limited model with Black Leather, what are some of the must have packages ppl recommend? I will be a first time Subaru owner and it's quit overwhelming.

TIA

Tom

·
Registered
770 Posts
First post here. :)

I've been on LegacyGT.com and .org since 2005, with my MY05 LGT (5MT, ECUTeK tuned by Tim Bailey), and also NASIOC since that time (my wife's MY05 4AEAT WRX as well as her current vehicle, a '16 WRX CVT), SubaruForester.org (wife's '09 and '13 FXTs), SBT9.com (my '13 Tribeca) and SubaruOutback.org (my '16 OB). You can find me under either the handles "TSi+WRX" or "TSiWRX" on any of those Forums.

With the exception of my '05 LGT, we're a leasing family. I love working on cars myself, but since the little one was born, I've found myself with less and less time, and leasing is just mindlessly convenient: with a 36 mo./36K lease, we give the car back just as it falls out of bumper-to-bumper coverage. Even for as rock-reliable as our Subarus have been (we've had virtually ZERO major mechanical problems with our 8 Subarus since 2005, the sole exception having been my wife's '09 FXT, which apparently didn't throw enough deposits to cause it to be pulled as a part of the "Stop Sale" from that time period: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/09-turbo-engine-failure-62103/ - but our dealership as well as SoA took great care of us), we're still glad to trade a bit of money for the convenience and peace-of-mind.

Just last week, I put a deposit down on our 8th - my '19 Touring - and picked up the vehicle this past Saturday.

We've had very, very good experiences with Ganley Subaru of Bedford ( https://www.ganleysubaruofbedford.com/ ), from whom we've gotten our Subarus since 2005 (they were called Ellacott Shaker Subaru way back then). In the last 6 years, my in-laws have also both leased their two Legacys - also both on 3-year cycles - either from them or via a leasing company who in turn sources the vehicles from them. When my wife's '05 WRX arrived without the moonroof it was supposed to have, they put a Webasto in for her at no charge, of-course. When my wife wrecked the loaner Forester they gave her for the long-block repair on her '09 FXT, they immediately got us another free loaner, and all we had to pay them was their insurance deductible. They never gave us any grief.

On a Touring bearing base MSRP of $44,695 (plus '"Popular Package #2," code AAC, which lists at $742, the $50-or-so pair of third row sunshades, plus installed seat protectors on the captain's chairs - $60 to $80, depending on how you find them - and my salesman also threw in Starlink Safety & Security for free, too, so the Total Suggested would be in the $46,500-range), my negotiated price was $42,361.

Salesman's name is Larry Boro. We were in and out in 30 minutes when we picked up the vehicle, he'd prepped as much as he could, so all we had to do was sign and drive.

I'm very happy. :)

And yes, we're planning to go back to them when my wife's '16 WRX lease is up in February.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My question is what accessories have to be installed at the factory/port vs what can I buy myself and install after. For instance I've installed my own splash guards etc. The good and bad with Subaru is the amount of accessories available, its hard to know what can be installed by the owners. Any websites that are recommended for these items?

If you pop on Google, you'll find installation manuals for a lot of the accessories. In-reality, the owner's mechanical skill and tools-available will determine what's exactly self-doable, and what's not.

Depending on the specific dealer, your out-the-door price for the installed accessory may actually not be that bad, compared against buying online via one of the known parts outlets (it's usually just a bigger dealership's Service Department) and spending the time to self-install.

Over the years, I've self-installed virtually everything (OK, maybe not everything :tango_face_wink:, but one from every category, for-sure) that could be bought via the catalogs.

We've settled on the Limited model with Black Leather, what are some of the must have packages ppl recommend? I will be a first time Subaru owner and it's quit overwhelming.
I'm going to go over the Cars101 page ( http://www.cars101.com/subaru/ascent/ascent2019.html ) a bit tomorrow during my off hours, I'll be back to give you my very humble opinion, promise! :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
OK, looking at the Cars101 page, really, the only thing that's got a more involved installation process would be the engine block heater, for which Subaru notes that it involves taking off the turbo. That, and, of-course, the remote start - a hardwired one is supposedly a dealer-install only item (as SoA is pushing for Starlink/MySubaru use).

Many installation guides are available at the Subaru Technical Information System website: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis You can search by vehicle year, model, and trim level (drivetrain configuration).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.