Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends...yup it’s me again (that’s what I say when I go to the dealership for yet another repair) after having the AC fixed twice, same pipe had to be replaced twice due to a leak, car stalled in reverse, and now I’m experiencing a clicking sound when I turn hard in either direction or at slow speeds.

Anyone have any idea what that clicking is?! Sounds to me like a cv axel when it starts to go bad. I have 6k miles on the car. I’m going to bring it in, yet again, but I was wondering if there is a service bulletin to address this issue too.

I have never had so many issues with any of my Toyotas. I’m regretting this purchase.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
I had what sounded like it might be a similar noise. They replaced the strut mount bearing on the drivers side to fix it. Twice. The dealer blamed it on sand getting into in but I could never get a good explanation from them how that could happen. They had to order the part both times but the actual work didn’t take long at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey friends...yup it’s me again (that’s what I say when I go to the dealership for yet another repair) after having the AC fixed twice, same pipe had to be replaced twice due to a leak, car stalled in reverse, and now I’m experiencing a clicking sound when I turn hard in either direction or at slow speeds.

Anyone have any idea what that clicking is?! Sounds to me like a cv axel when it starts to go bad. I have 6k miles on the car. I’m going to bring it in, yet again, but I was wondering if there is a service bulletin to address this issue too.

I have never had so many issues with any of my Toyotas. I’m regretting this purchase.
I had what sounded like it might be a similar noise. They replaced the strut mount bearing on the drivers side to fix it. Twice. The dealer blamed it on sand getting into in but I could never get a good explanation from them how that could happen. They had to order the part both times but the actual work didn’t take long at all.
I just dropped off my 21' Ascent because of this same issue. We started noticing a clicking at the beach when we were pulling out of a parking spot or turning at slower speeds. It only happened at the beach so the sand thing could make sense... I hope the find something or give me a reasonable explanation. I appreciate that I'm not the only one who has heard this. Thought I was going crazy for a moment.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
74 Posts
Interesting, but i wonder if sand is really the cause or just the catalyst... as I am sure you both are not the first people to use their Ascents on the beach or near sand...?
@Robert.Mauro what say you?

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I've never had sand make any additional clicking noises, but, the AWD system will make a variety of noises that range from a "full ABS lockup" type grinding sound, to more subtle sounds. OTOH, the AWD transfer clutch may chatter or "click" at times. Multiple times of doing 8 super tight figure eights at very low speed (5 mph) usually will resolve that.

It is possible sand can get into somewhere and get crushed out of the spaces and cause a clicking noise, such as on the spring perches on the struts, but, I personally, haven't had that problem.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,260 Posts
Ours makes a small "pop" or "click" when accelerating with a turned wheel. It seems like when there's torque on the system something clicks or pops. It happens when I'm turning the steering wheel slightly during acceleration. Our dealer has not looked at it yet, but I presume it to be something like the strut bearing.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Possibly indeed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts