Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are trying to figure out what level of PPF to do on our new Ascent. Dealer says that, because the car is black, we will definitely see the line on the hood if we don't do the whole hood. Is that true or am I getting upsold? We don't want to be able to see the line.

They are quoting us $1,199 for full hood, full bumper, mirrors, and door cups. Add $200 for door edges (which seemed high to me). I already bought door edge guards from a Subaru parts warehouse for $95, assuming that they would provide more protection than the plastic film, but maybe that's not true?

Does this seem like a good price and a decent amount of coverage? We live in South Dakota. We won't be off-roading, but we do a fair amount of summer camping and hiking and will be driving the car cross-country at least once a year. Local shop quotes weren't much different on price, although a couple of them use Xpel instead of 3M, not sure if that matters.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
You'll see the line, especially when it gets dirty. I have no idea on the prices though, especially because they are area specific.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make sure you know their stated warranty. We've used 3M on several Subarus. One of those cars is white. Dirt started gathering inside the lower edge of the hood cover. The company that did the install replaced the hood section free of charge. I can't comment on price because I've only done the front 18" of the hood and haven't done the front bumper. To me, the entire hood is overkill but the bumper seems like a good add. That adds a lot of the cost due to the labor involved in working around lights, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure you know their stated warranty. We've used 3M on several Subarus. One of those cars is white. Dirt started gathering inside the lower edge of the hood cover. The company that did the install replaced the hood section free of charge. I can't comment on price because I've only done the front 18" of the hood and haven't done the front bumper. To me, the entire hood is overkill but the bumper seems like a good add. That adds a lot of the cost due to the labor involved in working around lights, etc.
Thanks, appreciate it. It's a 10 year warranty but the dealership is 4 hours from us, so that alone might be a reason to go with someone more local.

·
Registered
17 Posts
@ Goseto11 I did full hood, bumper, half roof, lower doors (all 4 doors), mirrors, and door cups and fenders. I got the work on on my 2019 Ascent and my 2019 Impreza. I recommend doing this at a local shop rather than dealer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
We are trying to figure out what level of PPF to do on our new Ascent. Dealer says that, because the car is black, we will definitely see the line on the hood if we don't do the whole hood. Is that true or am I getting upsold? We don't want to be able to see the line.

They are quoting us $1,199 for full hood, full bumper, mirrors, and door cups. Add $200 for door edges (which seemed high to me). I already bought door edge guards from a Subaru parts warehouse for $95, assuming that they would provide more protection than the plastic film, but maybe that's not true?

Does this seem like a good price and a decent amount of coverage? We live in South Dakota. We won't be off-roading, but we do a fair amount of summer camping and hiking and will be driving the car cross-country at least once a year. Local shop quotes weren't much different on price, although a couple of them use Xpel instead of 3M, not sure if that matters.

Thanks!
The darker the car, the more visible the line will be. I've never done full hoods, etc. because the cost goes through the roof. If they quoted you $1200 for full coverage, that is a good price. Don't forget the headlights and fogs. Xpel is a great product as well and most of their line is self healing as well. I've done 7 cars with my local installer and would never buy a new car and not do it.
For the most part, dealers do not do the work, they usually have a local shop that comes in and does the work and then takes a cut. A local shop may be cheaper. PREP IS CRITICAL. I saved the installer a couple hours of prep by clay baring the paint to get all the crap out of it due to procrastinating and getting tons of bugs on the front end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve been quoted $1,670 to have the entire front clip done in ClearBra. I’m having it installed in November. The same vendor applied ClearBra to my wife’s Mustang and the results have been very good.

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
Personal opinion... I’d rather have the rock chips than a line across the surface from a clear bra or any ppf that doesn’t cover the entire surface. Any protection you get from a partial ppf job with be negated by paint that will look different with the film removed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, we went with full hood and front bumper/fender, mirrors, door cups, and door edges. Dealer charged $1100. They told me that they lost $400 on the deal because they had to rush it in 24 hours, but I did ask for a quote a full week before we picked it up, so oh well!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personal opinion... I’d rather have the rich chips than a line across the surface from a clear bra or any ppf that doesn’t cover the entire surface. Any protection you get from a partial ppf job with be negated by paint that will look different with the film removed.
On my Mustang the film ends in panel joints or about 1/32” before panel end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.