Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spilled coffee in the center console cup holder, because it always moves around! I wiped it up and noticed coffee had seeped into the cracks. I was able to get the rubber pad out, barely, and saw under the clear plastic covering a lot of coffee trapped underneath it. I called the dealership to ask how to safely remove to clean and was told to bring it in because they have to take the ENTIRE console out. Is this really the design?!? Does anyone know how to remove the plastic lining covering the led lights? Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spilled coffee in the center console cup holder, because it always moves around! I wiped it up and noticed coffee had seeped into the cracks. I was able to get the rubber pad out, barely, and saw under the clear plastic covering a lot of coffee trapped underneath it. I called the dealership to ask how to safely remove to clean and was told to bring it in because they have to take the ENTIRE console out. Is this really the design?!? Does anyone know how to remove the plastic lining covering the led lights? Thank you!
Just curious if you were able to figure out a way to clean this? The exact same thing happened to me this morning, someone cut me off in traffic and my coffee tipped over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As of this morning, I have the same issue, except with spilled tea. It's just sitting there under the clear plastic on top of the light. I can't get to it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately the dealer is correct. The console does in fact have to be taken apart to get access to the clear plastic cup holder. I know this for a fact because when we purchased our ascent my wife inserted one of those twist in cup adapters because her drink cup was too large to fit in the cup holder. The adapter did not hold her cup well and it left a lot of deep scrapes and scratches in the sides of the cup holder so I had to replace it for her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any update on this? Did they charge to take it out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
As of this morning, I have the same issue, except with spilled tea. It's just sitting there under the clear plastic on top of the light. I can't get to it. Any ideas?
Did you have to end up taking it in to dealership?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would totally DIY this instead of taking a few hours out of my day with a trip tp the dealer. Here's a video that can help get you started. Just don't use a metal knife like this guy did. Get some cheap plastic pry tools.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I would totally DIY this instead of taking a few hours out of my day with a trip tp the dealer. Here's a video that can help get you started. Just don't use a metal knife like this guy did. Get some cheap plastic pry tools.

can a small steam clean device followed by suction work?

·
Registered
865 Posts
can a small steam clean device followed by suction work?
I’m really not sure. I’m sure it might help a little in getting it clean, but I would personally avoid introducing steam/moisture. It may cause corrosion if there are any electrical connections down there. I haven’t had the console apart myself so I’m not sure what’s under there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a person that works for Subaru the best bet you have without having to go to the dealership is putting a towel in the cupholders to catch what comes out of the holes. Then take an air compressor and just blast it🤷 saves you $100 and gets most of it out without any problems!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts