Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the hitch a class 3 type? I have a Swagman bike rack that's rated for installing on the back of a towed camper. It requires class 3 or class 4 hitch. It's very heavy duty, and heavy at 66 pounds. I suppose the rating depends on how it's used, and on the back of the Ascent it would have a gentle ride by comparison.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is it one of those with the additional hitch ball so you could tow an additional trailer behind your camper or motorhome. They would work on the Ascent, as long as the total tongue weight didn't exceed 500lbs or total towed weight of 5000lbs. I'm confident their reference to a class 3 or 4 is that it needs to have a 2" receiver on the towing vehicle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hitch in the back of the trailer has a 2" receiver. It's bolted to the trailer frame and weighs 40 pounds. I'm adding the 66 pound bike rack and two bikes so it's quite a bit more dynamic load than the Ascent would be exposed to. All this weight on the back of the camper will reduce tongue weight on the Ascent, but it's already a tongue heavy camper. I not sure what it is, but I think I've read 360 pounds or so and this is only a 2600 pound camper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.