Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I actually kinda like most of the chrome accents on the Ascent, but for some reason, the rear hatch strip always bothered me a little bit. Maybe because the bumper protector is also silver in color??

so I did a thing yesterday..

So far, I’m liking how it came out. It’s relatively subtle and it surprisingly matches the Crimson Red closely. You don’t really notice it’s red tinted chrome unless you’re looking.

I originally tested using some red chrome vinyl first but my attempt ended up just looking... sad LOL. They make it look so easy on YouTube!!!

Few LIGHT coats of clear adhesion promoter followed by a few coats of trans / candy red (Dupli-Color MC200 red metal cast anodized color). Only thing I might have done a little differently would have been to maybe go a touch lighter in the amount of coloring. Because it’s a trans coating, the shade of the color is related to the amount of coating deposited. Will clearcoat it probably next week (as per the trans can instructions).

Thoughts?
-C

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wow! Looks really good. I have a CBP and I'm trying to picture brown chrome.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think it looks good. I plan on dipping mine this weekend if I don't get too busy.
Are you going to remove the chrome strip in order to dip? If so, how does it come off? Hoping it pops off like the plastic bumpers do, but I'm gonna guess no.
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts