Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had the materials in my possession to do a chrome delete on the exterior trim pieces for quite a few months now, but I have not yet gotten around to doing the wrap job. The color I have is the matte black from 3M. I am pretty much set on doing the window trim pieces for sure in this color.

I have seen people do the front grille trim in both plasti-dip and as a wrap, but I don't like the look of their results next to the "glossy" grille slats. It seems incomplete and a mismatch in my opinion. So I think I will do the slats in the matte black as well. That will probably use up all my materials in matte black.

That brings me to the rest of the trim pieces. I am thinking of doing a different color for front grille trim, fog light trim lower door trim, and the lift gate trim. I currently own a Magnetite Gray Touring and I like the color orange. The thing that bugs me is that orange is used on the Forester Sport for accent. So, I am looking for suggestions. If you look at this site, https://www.fellers.com/fellers-sho...lored-wrap-vinyl/set/3m-vinyl-wrap-all-colors you can see the color palette for the 3M products. I would prefer to go a matte or stain finish.

So which one would you choose? Matte Copper Metallic? Satin Canyon Copper? Go for a "Flip"? Help me decide...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No replies as of yet. But here is an update to my plan:

Do the Chrome Window trim, side mirrors, door handles, in 3M Matte Black vinyl along with the rear gate chrome. I would like to wrap the front grille and trim, but I think that is beyond my skill set to do nicely. So, for the front grille, I will plasti-dip in matte black.

For the chrome that is above the fogs, along the sides, and also the rear gate protector, I will Plast-Dip in an "orange" type color. The Burnt Orange Pearlizer looks nice. May also entertain brighter colors like Hugger or Hemi orange. Whatever I pick, I will also do my horns in the same color.

So again, I will ask for thoughts?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'll be curious to see the contrasting colors.

I've got a roll of black matte for my fiancee's "wood panel" in her Tesla Model 3. With whatever is left I'm going to look into deleting some of my trim pieces as well and see how it goes.

Not sure what contrasting color I could use to go with my blue, but if the initial wrapping goes well, I might look into that.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think someone did something similar to this recently... was it the OP?
Can't remember if it was on this forum or on FB though..

·
Registered
303 Posts

Found this one today on FB.

And this:

Personally, I like the flips for a little different uniqueness but it can look weird if you do it on the wrong background. If you want a copper-ish accent for the magnetite grey then go for it! That satin copper wasn’t too bad and I think it might look like the crimson red pic above.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate it, @Cannibal869. I plan on doing the window trim this weekend. Next weekend will be the dipping. I am do for an oil change/tire rotation at that time and have to install my horns. As I have refined, down to 4 colors, I will do each of the OEM wheels in one color, and also the section of chrome trim on the door. I will then post some quarter shots of the OEMs, and then put the aftermarket rims back on with more quarter shots. The car will look stupid for a few hours, but I think that is the only way to find out what truly works.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I did the vinyl wrap on the window trim yesterday. It don't look bad from a distance. You can tell it was self done up close. I am not sure how long this will last, but I would definitely not try this again. If it comes off or starts to peel, I will probably try to dip it instead.

·
Registered
776 Posts
With the black out trim, from the rear 3/4, it reminds me of certain versions of the new Honda Passport (there's one near me in a similar gray color with the blacked-out wheels and trim).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry it has been so long....dipping now in progress. Here are some in work photos.

I am about to put the 4th coat of black on. Then it will be time for the desired pieces to get the Copper Treatment.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 887

Found this one today on FB.

And this:
View attachment 888

Personally, I like the flips for a little different uniqueness but it can look weird if you do it on the wrong background. If you want a copper-ish accent for the magnetite grey then go for it! That satin copper wasn’t too bad and I think it might look like the crimson red pic above.
Hey, that's my post!

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
Hi, has anyone try this option. I found this on Ebay Chrome delete.
Looks promising. I’ve been toying with the idea of learning how to wrap stuff but never seem to have the time. This overlay looks pretty simple if it’s cut right and installation is user friendly. If anyone has purchased and installed it please report back!
After putting some black wheels on my cbp Ascent the chrome delete is even more tempting

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Looks promising. I’ve been toying with the idea of learning how to wrap stuff but never seem to have the time. This overlay looks pretty simple if it’s cut right and installation is user friendly. If anyone has purchased and installed it please report back!
After putting some black wheels on my cbp Ascent the chrome delete is even more tempting
I own it, but I am horrible at doing things like that, so, I am waiting on finding someone to install it for me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts