Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Tungsten Metallic Premium. It was delivered to me with a chip on the bend of the plastic piece under the rear lift gate. The chip was in the upper, left bend line crease where the piece makes the bend going away from the rear window and then heads down to the 'chrome' piece on the back. The original also had several long scratches, about 1.5" long, right under the chip.

My car was just at the dealer for 2 weeks to have that piece replaced. Turns out that it is a HUGE deal to get all of the parts needed.

I went to pick it up this morning. The new piece has a chip in almost exactly the same place, where the plastic bends.k . Now there is another chip on the right side in almost the same place. Both chips are about a foot in towards the center from the outside of the car in the bend crease.

I'm taking it back in next Wednesday for them to give it another try at fixing it. The chip on the right side is about a 1/8" square and the one on the left is just kind of bubbling and looks like the paint will pull away from the plastic at any time now.

What I am wondering is, what are causing these chips? The factory, or sometime during delivery, caused the first chip, and, obviously the dealer, upon installation of the new piece, caused the second and its mate on the right side.

If you'd feel along that seam to see if this is happening to you, I'd appreciate it.

It could be just happening to me, as that tends to be the way my life goes. :sad:

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
After discovering my rubbing front door weatherstripping, I'm now afraid to look for these chips as I might have the same issue - but I will look as I can't help myself...

UPDATE - Assuming I'm looking in the right place, I don't see any chipping or scratches. Posting a photo would be helpful.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks,

I'll get a photo tomorrow when it is light tomorrow.

It is now, and was on the original, on the bend line of the plastic molded piece.

Thanks for checking.

Ken

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are the photos.

The end of the rear wiper blade gives the location of the chip on the left side of the panel.
My finger points to the 'blemish', that I believe will turn into a chip, on the right side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Here are the photos.

The end of the rear wiper blade gives the location of the chip on the left side of the panel.
My finger points to the 'blemish', that I believe will turn into a chip, on the right side.
Thanks for the pictures as they were very helpful. At least in my case I don’t have this issue. I don’t think this is a widespread problem, but one caused by someone being careless at the dealership.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, the original had the chip in almost the same place upon delivery, as well as scratches underneath the chipped area.

I was wondering if it was endemic or just bad luck. So far it does appear to be bad luck.

I contacted the General Manager at the dealership via email this morning. He called me back and they are dropping off a loaner, at my house, next Tuesday and have "a guy" they hire to try and fix stuff like this come in next Wednesday to give it a try. We'll see how it comes out.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here are the photos.

Wait are these chips under the rear windshield. If they aren't in the chrome trim pieces, but in pieces the same color as your car then it is a paint defect. Based on your pictures I can see primer underneath. Those pieces aren't just simply replaced, they need to be filled and paint corrected.

As someone who caused my own paint issue in the tailgate the process is as follows. They remove the chrome trim and tail lights. Maybe even the glass in your case. Then they would mix and match paint on sample sheets until they get the color and flake right. They would repair the area and paint it. They would then need to clear it and break off the clear in areas that they could then cover with the trim glass.

Since the car is new blending wouldn't make sense and be more work. A good body shop should be able to handle this. If the dealer has a body shop or they work with one I would check their reviews and if they are questionable I would get quotes from quality shops and press the dealer on the repairs.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Here are the photos.

I just walked out and looked at all the premiums I have on my lot, unfortunately none of them TGM or ISM.

Something is causing those dings, they don't look like your standard paint blemish to me. But they should be easily fixable. You'll always know they're there, but if it's done right, once the new paint cures, you won't be able to see them. (I had one delivery where I was showing the automatic power gate, had the car too close to the handicapped sign pole, and ... oops. Scratched it right off. With the customer standing right there. Ran it over to our paint guys, they fixed it in about 10 minutes with some simple touch up paint.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts