Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Child car seats and comfort

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ilikeascent 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I've been eyeing the Ascent for a while..only debate with the better half is this over a mini van..(yes, sigh) Would pehaps go for a Limited with upgrades or a Touring.. Could anyone share pictures of their 7seater Ascent with 2-3 child carseats on ? I'd like to see and hear from you how it's worked out .. comfort and access to row 3, etc

Thank you

#2 ·
I test drove a 7 seater with two boosters in the back, one backless booster for my 6 yr old and one full back booster for my 4 yr old. It worked fine, both kids could climb back their by simply going between the captains chairs and buckle themselves in. I ordered a 7 seater premium knowing that it would work. I plan to put a third infant carrier in one of the captains chairs come October whenever my third one is born. I didn’t take any photos but if your local dealer has a 7 seater in stock I’d take my car seats their and test them out, most are very accommodating with this.

#4 ·
We have 2 forward facing car seats up front and 1 booster in the back. It is slightly annoying to get into the back as an adult, because the captains chairs won't fold with the car seats in them. But it doesn't seem to bother my 8 year old who is in the 3rd row.

When we get rid of 1 of the 2 captain chair car seats it will make it a lot easier.

#5 ·
I have child carseats in both captain chairs of the 2nd row. One facing forward (3 year old), another facing backward (14 month old). In the 3rd row I have two boosters for my 8 year old and 5 year old.

No issues whatsoever with spacing. I'll try to grab some photos tonight or this weekend.

We do also have a Honda Odyssey minivan. It's definitely more "convenient and practical" comparatively speaking for my family of 6, but i still hate minivans.

#12 ·
We had friends in town this past week.
The configuration that ended up working was:
Touring 7-passenger
Two rear-facing seats.
One in 2P, one in 3D
4 adults

The 1 yo kid sat in the back, and her mom would climb back there with her. She is pretty tall and seemed to do alright, but the longest rides were 45 minutes to/from the airport.

We tried both seats in the 2nd row captains chairs, but that required removing a seat to allow the two adults to get to the third row - tedious.

Two rear-facing seats completely block the 3rd row access, as you can't slide them forward enough or fold the seat backs forward to allow access from behind the seats, and there isn't room in front of them.

#14 ·
Did you have your seat protector approved by Chicco? If so, which one do you have? We have a Chicco Keyfit 30 and will be transitioning our son to the NextFit Zip once we get back from our vacation and would love to have something to protect the new seats in the Ascent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.