Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best wishes to all from the Great Pacific Northwest - where there are lots of Subaru owners!

So - after many months of contemplation (my wife might call it agony! :smile: ), I take possession of my red 7-passenger Ascent Limited (w/o the technology package) tomorrow.

I just could not decide between the Ascent and Highlander. Up until the introduction of the Ascent, the Highlander had long been my target vehicle. And, for some reason, the local Toyota dealers are having a fire sale on Highlanders - they are more than $8K under MSRP.

I think I got a reasonable deal on my Ascent. Dealer states $750 under invoice and that seems to bear out. Had to go to a dealer 120 miles away - local dealer was selling at invoice so, driving 120 miles to save $750 is something I would do.

My current vehicle is a 2014 Forester - a very nimble and well thought out car. I like it a lot but, after about 30 miles my butt starts to hurt. Any, since I'm now officially an old-fart, and my hearing is going, I have a hard time carrying on a conversation with the motor and road noise. Finally, the Forester is, IMHO, a bit gutless. Has to work hard in the mountains and, and, sometimes, to maintain 75 on the interstate. (Also burns a quart of oil between changes which annoys me greatly!)

I have high hopes for a comfy and quiet ride in my Ascent. During the test drive, I thought the Highlander was a bit more quiet. I was thinking that the V6 highlander might hold its value better. (I'll keep my Ascent, God-willing, for at least 5 years.)

Anyway - thats it, thats me. I got a lot of value from the Forester forum and hope for the same here. Sure hope the thread about transmission problems was written by a Toyota dealer!

Again - Cheers, best wishes and v/r from Oregon!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Anyway - thats it, thats me. I got a lot of value from the Forester forum and hope for the same here. Sure hope the thread about transmission problems was written by a Toyota dealer!
Me Too!:grin:

FYI, I looked at the Highlander also. It was a very tight for big and tall folks, so it was easy for me to pass up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
NUTS! I seem to have been a little premature. Somehow, the day before I planned to get my Ascent, the "out the door" price jumped by $650 in "fees". An "admin" fee, a "security guard" fee, some new $200 "tax".

Feels to me that the Subaru dealer was doing a classic bait-and-switch. Like the guy selling undercoat in Fargo. They offered a price that was $750 below invoice and packed on fees to make it up!

I don't like this. My initial inclination is to tell them to jump in a lake. Any suggestions on the best sites for me to leave my opinion of their behavior? Even if they revoke the fees, something seems "sour" and it makes me wonder what else is rotten with this dealership.

And, I'm back at the beginning in searching for my car. Maybe back to the Toyota dealership. How sad. I thought the deal was done and deleted all my other contacts and spreadsheet data.

My fault too - I didn't stress the final price. Their offer set a price and added "plus applicable DMV fees". I thought I knew what those were (from interactions with other dealers) and should have double checked. Nerts!

·
Registered
148 Posts
"Any suggestions on the best sites for me to leave my opinion of their behavior?"

Twitter is your friend for this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Best wishes to all from the Great Pacific Northwest - where there are lots of Subaru owners!

So - after many months of contemplation (my wife might call it agony! :smile: ), I take possession of my red 7-passenger Ascent Limited (w/o the technology package) tomorrow.

I just could not decide between the Ascent and Highlander. Up until the introduction of the Ascent, the Highlander had long been my target vehicle. And, for some reason, the local Toyota dealers are having a fire sale on Highlanders - they are more than $8K under MSRP.

I think I got a reasonable deal on my Ascent. Dealer states $750 under invoice and that seems to bear out. Had to go to a dealer 120 miles away - local dealer was selling at invoice so, driving 120 miles to save $750 is something I would do.

My current vehicle is a 2014 Forester - a very nimble and well thought out car. I like it a lot but, after about 30 miles my butt starts to hurt. Any, since I'm now officially an old-fart, and my hearing is going, I have a hard time carrying on a conversation with the motor and road noise. Finally, the Forester is, IMHO, a bit gutless. Has to work hard in the mountains and, and, sometimes, to maintain 75 on the interstate. (Also burns a quart of oil between changes which annoys me greatly!)

I have high hopes for a comfy and quiet ride in my Ascent. During the test drive, I thought the Highlander was a bit more quiet. I was thinking that the V6 highlander might hold its value better. (I'll keep my Ascent, God-willing, for at least 5 years.)

Again - Cheers, best wishes and v/r from Oregon!
Sorry to hear all of that - dealers certainly earn their reputations. Perhaps I read too much askcarsalesmen, but I'd first determine if you're shopping for a particualr car or a particular deal. Then go from there. The reason you're seeing great deals on Highlanders is becuase it's at the end of its run (since 2014). The upcoming 2020 model may cause a lot of buyer's remorse for those who purchased 2019s. The *new* 2019 Ascent is better than the *old* 2019 Highlander, but that will change next year. The market today and in the future should reflect that, respectively.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,853 Posts
Perhaps you should read the threads in the pricing area about VIP pricing opportunities, such as via a small donation to the Philadelphia Horticultural Society...Subaru is a prime sponsor of the famed Philadelphia Flower Show and offers VIP pricing (2% below invoice) to PHS members and there's no waiting period for it. You don't have to live here in the east to take advantage of this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All is well - dealer fees were removed - and I'm driving my new red Ascent Limited. I seem to get oddly emotional when buying a car.

I figure the same on Highlanders - last year of the current version - and dealers seem to have a ton of them. Still - $41K, out the door, for a new Limited Platnum was hard to pass up - but I did!

I'm not a very good negotiator. I just want people to recognize my logic, see the correctness of it, and give me what I ask for. Oddly - I don't get this response from car dealers.

I'll consider myself lucky if my Ascent works out as well as the Forester it replaced.

Cheers and safe motoring to all fellow Ascent owners!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hope you all don't mind that I seem to be having a conversation with myself here. Had a follow-up interaction with the dealer that brought a wry smile to my face.

I sent a courtesy email to dealers I did not choose. The Toyota dealer responded - asking for my top 3 reasons for NOT picking them. I tried to write a thoughtful reply. I am having second thoughts about my Ascent.

The Toyota dealer responded with a trade-in offer. They would give me the purchase price that I paid for the Ascent - and sell me a Highlander Limited Platnum for $40,300. (They have the blue - I like the blue.)

Geeze! I agonized about this decision, thought I'd come to a resolution and now, the option is back on the table! I am an ANALytical person, prone to over-analyze any situation that presents itself. (Told the dealer no - I've bought the Ascent and I'm sticking with it.)

(Even if I'm just talking to myself, FWIW, FYI and, I hope, not TMI)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts