Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many of you were very helpful back on this post a few weeks ago when I was deciding which travel trailer to purchase, so wanted to follow up after our first towing experience! We did follow through on purchasing Option #2, the Palomino Puma XLE Lite 20RLC. Dry weight of the trailer upon delivery was 4,384 with a listed hitch weight of 380.

We took off Friday from Houston, TX and arrived Sunday in Colorado, totaling 1,114 miles over three days. After loading up the trailer we did make one stop to weigh along the way, and the CAT scale measurements came in at 5,720 lbs on the Ascent and 4,140 for the trailer, giving a gross weight of 9,860 lbs. Given the trailer weight measured lower with cargo than upon delivery, I know obviously that several hundred pounds were transferred to the vehicle weight, so I am curious as to exactly how much the trailer weighed without being connected to the vehicle (didn't care to put that much effort into measuring at the CAT scale stop).

Nonetheless, overall, great experience and seemed to tow very smoothly in all geographies! My towing history only includes towing some smaller stuff short distances, but this was by far my longest towing experience and first with the Ascent. I was very pleased with how the Ascent handled and my wife and I kept saying along the way how proud of it we were - she performed beautifully! Only downside was certainly the gas mileage, but I guess that's just to be expected when towing that far. Over the 1,100 miles we averaged a whopping 9.5 mpg. Surprisingly (or maybe not to some of you), the mileage was better in the mountainous areas of NM and CO. I guess throttling off on the uphills and letting it ride on the downhills will do that, I just wasn't anticipating that. When not in the mountains we pretty much kept the cruise between 60-65 mph the whole way.

I've included some pics below. Thanks all for the advice leading up to the purchase and trip. We are pleased with our trailer decision, but especially the Ascent! We'll be continuing our journey through CO, WY, and MT the next several weeks.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Parking
Vehicle Transport Luxury vehicle Car Automotive exterior

EDIT: adding a few interesting things we encountered along the way... night one on the road we stopped overnight with family and left the fridge on the keep some things cool. Woke up in the morning to a completely dead car battery. Apparently the trailer battery hadn't gotten fully charged yet in the two days we had it and was pulling juice from the car. So we had a warm fridge and a dead car battery in the morning.

Additionally, on the 3rd day of driving we actually blew the trailer fuse in the Ascent. After a stop we noticed the trailer brake lights weren't working, but the brake controller still was. So we knew it wasn't an issue with the 7-pin. Pulled out the trailer fuse and sure enough, it was blown, so had to replace that. Not entirely sure what happened, but my guess is that it came from plugging in the 7-pin while having the fridge and water pump turned on in the trailer. Not sure what else it could have been, but we'll be mindful of that going forward.

·
Registered
67 Posts
First off, Congrats on the new trailer! Glad you had successful first trip and good experience.

It seems like it's all working out for you. But yeah it would be crucial to know the tongue weight you ended up with. I totally get it though, it's not always practical to do all that at the CAT scale when you are ready to go on a trip or vice versa, pack up your stuff and family as if you were going on a trip just to go to the cat scale. What's been practical for me is to measure my tongue weight at home before trips (you can find about some methods with a little bit of digging here in the forum), but only after I roughly know my GVW of the trailer loaded and for that you need to at least once measure your loaded trailer alone and then might as well do your tongue weight only at the CAT scale too.

And welcome to RVing with your fridge battery drain! Just learned the hard way myself to just not use the 12v fridge any other time than with the vehicle running or else it will drain your batteries in no time (I doubt you had anything wrong with your trailer battery on a new trailer).I just don't use it at all anymore, it's not worth it since my 12v barely even gets the fridge going (I tried it to use it for pre-cooling the thing). Just turn on the propane once you're stopped and it gets you fridge cool very quickly.

·
Registered
942 Posts
EDIT: adding a few interesting things we encountered along the way... night one on the road we stopped overnight with family and left the fridge on the keep some things cool. Woke up in the morning to a completely dead car battery. Apparently the trailer battery hadn't gotten fully charged yet in the two days we had it and was pulling juice from the car. So we had a warm fridge and a dead car battery in the morning.
When hooked up, even with nothing on, the trailer will pull juice from the car. Always disconnect the trailer connection when not driving!

When we went camping last summer I had hooked everything up before we went on a different trip (Alaskan Cruise). When we got back, the car battery was totally dead, so rather than getting an early start on camping, I was running out and getting a new car battery!

Looking at your pics of the car and how it's sitting, it does look like your tongue weight is in the 400-450 range.

Glad it's working well for you. I love towing with mine!

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts
Yup, don't run your fridge while plugged in to your vehicle. Stuff your fridge a few days prior while at home and plug it in to get everything nice and cold/frozen. Then turn your fridge off literally just prior to hooking it up on the hitch. Then off you go. As soon as you get to your camp site, plug it in or put the fridge in propane mode.

When I had my RV, I also would put the batteries on the RV on my charger about a week prior to any trip. I would never count on the "drive" charging those batteries fully.

I am soooo impressed you can pull 60+ mph with that 20 footer.

10 mpg towing ... yup ... welcome to towing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts