Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Found this picture on Facebook...

i think it did hold pretty good.
Were there any additional details shared with the post? Vehicle that rear-ended the Ascent? Speed of impact? It is difficult to say it held up well without additional info. If this was 10 MPH impact from a Prius, I would say it did poor. If it was 45 MPH impact from an F350, it did AWESOME. My guess it was something in-between.

I was surprised to see how much the hitch assembly bent. I am assuming this is by design since it replaces part of the bumper. I wonder if the impact on the passengers would be tougher with an aftermarket if it is not designed in the same way.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Were there any additional details shared with the post? Vehicle that rear-ended the Ascent? Speed of impact? It is difficult to say it held up well without additional info. If this was 10 MPH impact from a Prius, I would say it did poor. If it was 45 MPH impact from an F350, it did AWESOME. My guess it was something in-between.

I was surprised to see how much the hitch assembly bent. I am assuming this is by design since it replaces part of the bumper. I wonder if the impact on the passengers would be tougher with an aftermarket if it is not designed in the same way.
Due to how high the damage is it must have been a CUV or SUV of some sort. The question is the speed of the impact and where did all the glass go when it collapsed. This type of accident is one of the reasons why I didn't like the CX9. My head could touch the back window in the third row which worried me.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The really sad thing is that this vehicle will not be considered a total loss. These unfortunate people will be stuck driving a repaired vehicle until they sell it!! Do you think they will purchase a subscription to the online Ascent body repair manual?

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
The really sad thing is that this vehicle will not be considered a total loss. These unfortunate people will be stuck driving a repaired vehicle until they sell it!! Do you think they will purchase a subscription to the online Ascent body repair manual?
I was thinking that. Either they're out of a car for a few months waiting on a new one to be built (assuming it's not a generic configuration), or they're stuck with a repaired car which will invalidate them from being in the Guaranteed Trade-In program, and decrease private resale value. :sad:

Sucks either way.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Eh, that'll buff out.

Actually, new rear gate, new rear bumper, probably a new left rear quarter panel, a bit of straightening, and some new stuff on the front and it'll be good as new. That's probably only about $8K worth of damage, total. That's when you file a diminished value claim.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I was thinking that. Either they're out of a car for a few months waiting on a new one to be built (assuming it's not a generic configuration), or they're stuck with a repaired car which will invalidate them from being in the Guaranteed Trade-In program, and decrease private resale value. :sad:

Sucks either way.
They certainly better go for "diminished value" from the offending drivers insurance company. That's assuming the at fault party even had insurance - no diminished value if only your own insurance company is involved. I would say the diminished value on a vehicle this new would be at least in the $5-8K range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's terrible that we even have to think about that kind of thing. I carry un/under insured just for this reason. There's so many uninsured drivers out there waiting to ruin your life.
My 2 month old Legacy was totaled by a unlicensed and uninsured driver in June. Guess it isn't all bad though.....Now I have the Ascent I wanted anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.