Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Subaru. I've always puchased GM & decided to try something different. Bought a 2019 Ascent Touring off the lot 6/30. I live over 60 miles from the closest dealer. I've had it only a few weeks and driven only 562 miles & had to have it towed. No loaner, rental or anything offered. No answers yet regarding what is wrong. Hope this isnt a sign of the company's quality.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am new to Subaru. I've always puchased GM & decided to try something different. Bought a 2019 Ascent Touring off the lot 6/30. I live over 60 miles from the closest dealer. I've had it only a few weeks and driven only 562 miles & had to have it towed. No loaner, rental or anything offered. No answers yet regarding what is wrong. Hope this isnt a sign of the company's quality.
What caused you to have to get it towed? Mine's inoperable at the moment as well but I got a loaner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It ran but the check engine & x-mode would not turn off & the dash was full of warnings with most safety features off (eyesight, RAB, etc). Looked in the manual first, then I called roadside & they sent a bed truck. No upates yet to what is wrong

·
Registered
646 Posts
You should be able to get a loaner with a new car having issues while under warranty. Give the dealer a call.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did posted this on my other trend too..

"Yap.. that was exactly what happened to me.. Well mine was 110 miles when it happened. When i got the car from dealer, it has 96 miles. So i brought home and the next morning this happened. Took it straight to dealer service which is like 4 miles away from my house and they tried to clear the error and tested drive it and the light came back on.. the service ppl didn't know what to do with it and tried calling Subaru headquarter multiple times. I got my car back on Saturday, i was told there were two flange bolts missing on their turbo system, which should have been air-tight, so the factory sent them the parts and they installed it. It has been running ok since Saturday. The SOA representative called me just a few minutes ago checking on the car, and I told them it was working so far, and she told me that they will call again in a couple weeks to check it out. I had requested a replacement new car when the car was at the shop and they didn't know what was wrong with it, but they offered me the compensations on my car payment, but the person who followed up with me didn't mention anything.. It was so disappointing to get your new car get Check engine, x mode lights came on & eyesight, RAB other safety features turned off. I think your car and mine came off the same assembly line. I don't have the dealer receipts with me today, but i will take a picture and post it for you.. maybe it will help yr service ppl or you to figure out what was wrong with the car. I was told that the service guy were to report anything they worked on this new car with the SOA, so they just didn't want to do anything unless it comes specifically from SOA.

Here is the contact number for Subaru of America 1800-782-2783 or 1856-488-8730. The call wait time was 1.5 hours for me to get to talk to a representative. He did call me back with the updates afterward, but he won't give me his extension. The dealer service that i dropped off the car did give me a loaner which was helpful, but i think they should have recall for this if this continue to be an issue."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I am also working with SOA at this point. Thank you for the details to try to track down the issue. Mine is also a Touring package not that it should matter but really makes me wonder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine is a Touring too.. that is why i think it probably came out of the same assembly and had the same errors. Took them 4 days to figure out the problem and 4 more days for shipping parts.. overall took 9 days before they contacted me to pick up the car. here is what they wrote on my receipt

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’m seeing exact same symptoms on mine (Limited). Started this evening, so I’m taking it in tomorrow. Code P0045 came up on my OBD2 scanner, which is different than what shows on your receipt, but it is a turbo code.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I saw the following was just posted on the Subaru Ascent Facebook group:

"My Ascent (touring edition) made it to 74 miles before I had several warnings and a check engine light appear. (It should be noted that I was parked when this happened) The really cool thing is it tried to schedule it's own appointment with the local Subaru dealership. In my state of shock I bypassed the screen and went to work. I called the dealership on my break only to get the same appointment the Ascent had already tried to make. Once my Ascent was looked at they confirmed that the Turbo Assembly needed to be replaced. This is a now known issue with the Ascent ....I was told that a letter is likely to go out to all owners. I was unable to pick up the car as I cant drive two vehicles and switching car seats is a pain, so they drove it to my house for me. The reason I post is not scary anyone away from the Ascent but rather to reassure it could be a quick fix. I had feared it would take days as getting parts to Alaska can take some time. It only took a few hours. Quick and easy."

·
Registered
156 Posts
I saw the following was just posted on the Subaru Ascent Facebook group:

"My Ascent (touring edition) made it to 74 miles before I had several warnings and a check engine light appear. (It should be noted that I was parked when this happened) The really cool thing is it tried to schedule it's own appointment with the local Subaru dealership. In my state of shock I bypassed the screen and went to work. I called the dealership on my break only to get the same appointment the Ascent had already tried to make. Once my Ascent was looked at they confirmed that the Turbo Assembly needed to be replaced. This is a now known issue with the Ascent ....I was told that a letter is likely to go out to all owners. I was unable to pick up the car as I cant drive two vehicles and switching car seats is a pain, so they drove it to my house for me. The reason I post is not scary anyone away from the Ascent but rather to reassure it could be a quick fix. I had feared it would take days as getting parts to Alaska can take some time. It only took a few hours. Quick and easy."
Perhaps this is why people's orders are getting pushed back? Calling all the cars back to check on this issue?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’m seeing exact same symptoms on mine (Limited). Started this evening, so I’m taking it in tomorrow. Code P0045 came up on my OBD2 scanner, which is different than what shows on your receipt, but it is a turbo code.
FYI my check engine light and eye sight issues went away magically when I started the car to drive to dealer this morning. I drove a handful more short trips today, and it hasn’t come back on (????).

·
Registered
978 Posts
With all modern very computer heavy cars you will get wonky stuff at times. Also in thd auto world the first 25,000 miles is called the electronic honey moon. Any flawed switches, relays, sensors, wiring plugs etc surface in the first 25k. After that electronic failures drop nearly to zero for a long time assuming no funky creative modifications or accidents happen.

So when people get upset that a new car has some goofy electronic issue they are missing the whole reason why every Auto maker has a automatic 30+ thousand mile warranty right out of the box. This is due to the failure statistics if something is flawed it almost always surfaces in the first 25k. After that your odds of issues drop exponentially.

So if your planning an around the world trip? Don’t take a new vehicle! Take one with 30,000 or more miles on it ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
It *can* be a major life inconvencience though. I bought a 2015 Ford Escape that had so many electrical problems it was in the dealership for almost 45 days of the first 8 months I owned it. They rarely gave us a loaner car. They did end up giving us a free extended warranty, but I will probably never buy another Ford because of it. It makes me very nervous to see posts like this (my July 6 Ascent now has a tentative delivery date of 7/31, but I will believe that when I see the car).

·
Registered
7 Posts
How many of you have run your car at wide open throttle to try and boost it hard? We haven't, but i might when I get my wife's hands off the wheel.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It *can* be a major life inconvencience though. I bought a 2015 Ford Escape that had so many electrical problems it was in the dealership for almost 45 days of the first 8 months I owned it. They rarely gave us a loaner car. They did end up giving us a free extended warranty, but I will probably never buy another Ford because of it. It makes me very nervous to see posts like this (my July 6 Ascent now has a tentative delivery date of 7/31, but I will believe that when I see the car).
I had an issue with my Ford Focus Electric and it was in the shop for 90 days. During that time I had a free loaner (Ford Escape), paid for my lease while it was in the shop, and paid for all gas as I had an electric car. It was a terrific deal and one of the reasons why I debated on buying a Ford again. The key was after the first week I contacted Ford Corporate and started sending out tweets and they contacted me that day to make me happy. As much as I hate to say it the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

How many of you have run your car at wide open throttle to try and boost it hard? We haven't, but i might when I get my wife's hands off the wheel.
I'm over 1K miles not and I'm thinking the same thing. Would rather have a Check engine light come on now rather than when I take an 8 hour drive for vacation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's totally a side note but I work on an oil rig 100 miles into the Gulf of Mexico and I just checked to see how many miles were on the car, love the Subaru app!! Anyway, yes I would assume you wouldn't want to load the engine up that much until after the break in period, but I would want to do it sooner than later after that period just to see if you have the aforementioned boost leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'll add that when this problem happened to me, I had just started the car and immediately put it in to drive to scooch forward to a different parking spot real quick. In hindsight, I think I didn't give the car enough time to fully start. (I'm used to the Prius push button start, which is closer to instantaneous.) The point is, I don't think my issue was throttle-related, but rather computer-related. The eyesight functions were still coming online. During the 2 or 3 miles I drove with the issues (same as described by OP), the car worked perfectly...except all eyesight was off. No engine trouble. (Note from my previous post that the problem went away as I went to start car to drive to dealership.) Since the car returned to normal on its own, I tried to do some moderate accelerations, nothing crazy, and all is fine. Like others said, we shouldn't be pushing it til 1,000 miles anyway. I'd be curious to hear from others with the problem how it started. To repeat: for me it wasn't anything turbo-related, but rather I think I made the computer crash!

So completely anecdotal, but I recommend waiting a couple seconds for all the lights on the dashboard to fully go off after starting before taking it out of park!

·
Registered
965 Posts
So completely anecdotal, but I recommend waiting a couple seconds for all the lights on the dashboard to fully go off after starting before taking it out of park!
Rule of thumb is, start the car, then put your seatbelt on. That gives the engine that couple of seconds it needs for the oil pressure to build up properly. If you simply start the car and immediately put it into gear and start to drive, it may throw a low oil pressure fault internally. And pretty much ANY internal fault code will put it into limp mode.

You want to have fun, take an Outback with eyesight and leave the gas cap off. With that pressurized fuel system, takes about 10 minutes or less for the check engine light to come on. Which throws a fault code, causing every single red light to come on, making your dash look like a Christmas tree.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: I have been told the service lights were due to loose wire(s) on on engine harness. Dealer has secured, cleared the codes & test driven the vehicle. I plan to picked Sat. Hopefully this is a one and only issue.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts