Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of a long road trip with our 2019 Ascent Limited the dash board lit up like a Christmas tree when I started the car one morning. Looked like a complete system failure, although a little digging indicated that the check engine light results in all sorts of safety features being turned off. The car still drives normally and I checked the gas cap, but it's been two days and all of the errors are still there. I'll be trying to get into a nearby Subaru dealer tomorrow when they have maintenance people there. Here are my two complaints. 1. Even though the car drives normally, cruise control is unavailable since you have to get to "conventional" cruise control by going through "adaptive" cruise control which is disabled because eyesight is disabled. The prospect of driving hundreds of open highway miles without any cruise control is depressing. 2. The vehicle health report on mysubaru shows alerts on June 10, even though the problem first occurred on June 27. The current report says everything is fine - no problems, so this is not very useful and quite misleading. Is getting a gadget to read and reset your error codes going to become as necessary as tools for these "modern" cars?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
In the middle of a long road trip with our 2019 Ascent Limited the dash board lit up like a Christmas tree when I started the car one morning. Looked like a complete system failure, although a little digging indicated that the check engine light results in all sorts of safety features being turned off. The car still drives normally and I checked the gas cap, but it's been two days and all of the errors are still there. I'll be trying to get into a nearby Subaru dealer tomorrow when they have maintenance people there. Here are my two complaints. 1. Even though the car drives normally, cruise control is unavailable since you have to get to "conventional" cruise control by going through "adaptive" cruise control which is disabled because eyesight is disabled. The prospect of driving hundreds of open highway miles without any cruise control is depressing. 2. The vehicle health report on mysubaru shows alerts on June 10, even though the problem first occurred on June 27. The current report says everything is fine - no problems, so this is not very useful and quite misleading. Is getting a gadget to read and reset your error codes going to become as necessary as tools for these "modern" cars?
You will receive some answers once the dealer tech has an opportunity to assess the codes and their history. In regard to #1, all I can say is get over it. No one needs cruise control to drive and if that depresses you out of all that is around us in life, with all due respect, I feel for you.

I would not be driving the vehicle if the check engine light goes on other than to get to a safe place on the road. I would be contacting SOA through Starlink to get them to address the issue and get you a loaner so you can go about your business including a planned road trip if necessary. It may not just be safety features that are disabled. Real damage might occur when the check engine light goes on. You will not know until a full evaluation is completed.

I would ask SOA about the health report timing and details. That would be a legitimate concern of mine as well. What do the June 10th alerts indicate? Did you see them and what was your response at that time?

Your Starlink connection should be able to answer some of the issues and will assist you in documenting the concerns so that you are somewhat relieved of your owner due diligence responsibilities.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MySubaru indicates alerts for the anti-lock brakes, check engine, eyesight and vehicle dynamic control systems. No details, just "there might be a problem" (on June 10 when there were no problems). Current status is "All systems are functioning correctly", which isn't what the car is saying. Tried Starlink and they were able to confirm that there are alerts, but again no details. It would be really helpful if the reason for the alert was available to the Startlink people and the owner without having to try to get help from a Subaru dealer. If it's just a loose gas cap or a temporary glitch from a sensor there should be no reason to disable so many systems, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
MySubaru indicates alerts for the anti-lock brakes, check engine, eyesight and vehicle dynamic control systems. No details, just "there might be a problem" (on June 10 when there were no problems). Current status is "All systems are functioning correctly", which isn't what the car is saying. Tried Starlink and they were able to confirm that there are alerts, but again no details. It would be really helpful if the reason for the alert was available to the Startlink people and the owner without having to try to get help from a Subaru dealer. If it's just a loose gas cap or a temporary glitch from a sensor there should be no reason to disable so many systems, but it is what it is.
The alerts on June 10th indicated a potential problem regardless that you were not experiencing any symptoms. My suggestion is to not ignore that but to contact the dealer or SOA or both. It seems the alerts are simply basic notifications something is amiss that requires further attention. The sooner that is followed up with the lesser the potential negative consequences will be.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, getting a Bluetooth OBD-II reader is always a good thing. Then with an app, you can view codes and reset them and see if it comes back. More information for you makes you a better informed customer

Then you can also get the Torque App to monitor things (Lite is free, and Pro is for a small fee).

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
42 Posts
Did you check with your dealer check to see if yours was one of the affected models by this?

I never experienced this, but my dealer applied the ECM update as part of the CVT recall.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My 2004 Mazda RX8 once did the Christmas tree thing while I was headed to a Mazda road rally that I was signed up for. One of the side effects was no electric power steering. When I got there, a Mazda tech team ran a diagnostic and found that the steering angle sensor had a freak out. Since reading the steering angle underlies all the stability control and antilock brakes, that's why every light came on. The tech assured me the sensor hada bad connector which he replaced. Then he showed me that the Christmas tree could not be cleared via obd but there was a secret method. If I remember correctly, he turned the key from off to on 5 times then turned the steering wheel to left lock to right lock 3 times. Started the car and all was well.

That was 16 years ago and the electronics have gotten more integrated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem discovered. The low pressure fuel pump that was replaced as part of a recall a couple of weeks ago has a seal with a cap on top and the cap was slightly askew, creating a leak that was similar enough to a loose gas cap that it caused an alert that caused lots of other stuff to shut down. This morning the brake warning light joined the others. I couldn't get an appointment with any Subaru dealers until Wednesday when we are supposed to leave town so i took it to the nearest dealer and humbly requested that they at least check the code to see what it was telling us. They called back later in the day saying that it had been fixed. If we are allowed mention specific dealers in this forum I will submit another post to thank the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
Problem discovered. The low pressure fuel pump that was replaced as part of a recall a couple of weeks ago has a seal with a cap on top and the cap was slightly askew, creating a leak that was similar enough to a loose gas cap that it caused an alert that caused lots of other stuff to shut down. This morning the brake warning light joined the others. I couldn't get an appointment with any Subaru dealers until Wednesday when we are supposed to leave town so i took it to the nearest dealer and humbly requested that they at least check the code to see what it was telling us. They called back later in the day saying that it had been fixed. If we are allowed mention specific dealers in this forum I will submit another post to thank the dealer.
I am interested in what dealership took care of you. I don't see a problem with a true owner mentioning a dealership that provided stellar service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This happened to me EXACTLY as you described. Right after the recall replacement of the fuel pump...it took two trips to the dealership, but that was the culprit. The cap was slightly askew--and the check engine light causes ALL the indicators to go off. Problem solved, thankfully!

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is great information to have on hand for those of us affected by Subaru Fuel Pump Safety Recall WRD20 in case it bites us. It sure would be great to link this information to the associated post in the Recall section of this forum.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
This happened to me EXACTLY as you described. Right after the recall replacement of the fuel pump...it took two trips to the dealership, but that was the culprit. The cap was slightly askew--and the check engine light causes ALL the indicators to go off. Problem solved, thankfully!
Thank you both for this information. I have been to the dealer 2 times now and each time they gave me an answer pointing to my negligence.

When it happens again I will provide them with this information. Not driving much at this time so have not been starting the car. Reading this it will come up again in the next couple of times I start the car.
I love the car but the dealers here do not know how to troubleshoot issues on the Ascent.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The dealer is Dean Team Subaru in Ballwin, Mo. They squeezed me in because I'm in the middle of a road trip. They also provided a loaner so I didn't have to rent a car while mine was being looked at.
There is a thread to highlight good dealerships. Sorry I do not know how to put in links to other threads. Maybe one of the more forum tech savvy folks will do it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Trying to add a link to a thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts