Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just picked up my brand new Ascent Touring last night from dealer and this morning on my way to work, the check engine light and RVP (eye sight) light came on. And the car become rough to drive. I took it to nearest Subaru Service and it had been one whole day and they had no idea what is wrong with it. Have anyone experienced similar thing??? The dealer contacted me saying that they don’t know how long it will take because they don’t know what was wrong or how to fix it.. i planned to take this car for a road trip this weekend and i feel so disappointing with my very first Subaru.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess.. my bad luck to get one malfunctioning touring out of (1,000?) of first batch.. We originally planned to buy a limited but went with touring because the color and trim that we liked wasn’t available or were sold.. thought it would be better..now this.. what a stressful car buying experience

·
Registered
292 Posts
I guess.. my bad luck to get one malfunctioning touring out of (1,000?) of first batch.. We originally planned to buy a limited but went with touring because the color and trim that we liked wasn’t available or were sold.. thought it would be better..now this.. what a stressful car buying experience
I doubt it has anything to do with Limited v. Touring. Lemons are lemons. Here's to you getting a "tester" and getting a brand new one without issues!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya that is if they easily give me a replacement. I don’t know how many days of testing they will perform on this car before they declared it a lemon or got it fixed.. meanwhile i won’t be able to take the new car to this weekend road trip.. I did quite a bit of works calling/emailing with so many sale guys fr diff dealers to get this car at MSRP price and in time for our family trip.. What a big disappointment!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ya that is if they easily give me a replacement. I don’t know how many days of testing they will perform on this car before they declared it a lemon or got it fixed.. meanwhile i won’t be able to take the new car to this weekend road trip.. I did quite a bit of works calling/emailing with so many sale guys fr diff dealers to get this car at MSRP price and in time for our family trip.. What a big disappointment!!
Really sad to start hearing these stories. We are early adopters and paying at or near MSRP. To maintain a high level of customer satisfaction, Subaru definitely should compensate somehow. Especially when we are indeed production pilot testers for Subaru.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Check your state's lemon laws, or even if they exist. The one in my state requires you to notify (via certified mail) the manufacturer that you are giving them one last chance to repair the vehicle. You give them 10 days. If 10 days are up, you can file a application for a lemon.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It may be something simple that the dealer just isn’t aware of, don’t think you have a lemon just yet.

Hopefully this early on Subaru will be paying extra attention to major issues like this, to make sure it isn’t a common problem. If the dealer is slow with information you might want to contact Subaru directly. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did check the lemon law for CA.. quite complicated to go through the process.. it could be that the dealer didn’t have a proper equipment to fix the software issues for the new line. I do hope they can fix it and is not a reoccurring problem.. i’m looking for a reliable car, and thought highly of Subaru.. ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
So i just picked up my brand new Ascent Touring last night from dealer and this morning on my way to work, the check engine light and RVP (eye sight) light came on. And the car become rough to drive. I took it to nearest Subaru Service and it had been one whole day and they had no idea what is wrong with it. Have anyone experienced similar thing??? The dealer contacted me saying that they don’t know how long it will take because they don’t know what was wrong or how to fix it.. i planned to take this car for a road trip this weekend and i feel so disappointing with my very first Subaru.
This is why I never go far from home without an OBD II scan tool. A basic one is not expensive, but in an age of 'idiot lights', the root cause of your problems can get buried or lost in the diagnostic process. I had an RV on a Dodge Sprinter 3500 (Mercedes Benz) chassis. At 22,000 miles the transmission failed more than 3,000 miles from home. Chasing warranty dollars, the dealer in central Florida attempted to overhaul the transmission. Ten days later, the rebuild only lasted 35 miles and had to be towed back in. Second overhaul, lasted longer (300 miles) and never made it out of the state. Limping into another dealer, a new transmission and torque converter was installed. Lost in all this was any information of what caused the initial and second failure. I was told that because of the circumstance, a remanufactured transmission should have been used and the defective one sent in for analysis. If I had a scan tool, I could have recorded all the trouble codes for myself. A few years later, the trouble light came on a short time after loss of power. This time I had a scan tool that returned a code that indicated a turbo boost pressure loss. I discovered a defective hose connecting the turbocharger to the intercooler. I elected to take it to a local competent Dodge dealer to replace the hose and test the turbo system. I have a new RV, but this time the Sprinter chassis is sold by Mercedes Benz. Even so, I won't leave home without a scan tool. Modern vehicles have several computer control systems interconnected by a data bus. I would not draw any conclusions yet with a failure of one of the early Ascent cars built. It could be a one-off thing. Then again, sometimes things can get out of hand real fast. One only has to look at the Boeing 787 Dreamliner to see a less than perfect rollout. Exploding batteries and now Rolls Royce engine problems. It is early yet, I would not worry too much. I have a OBD scan tool that works dynamically and connects to a mobile device like a phone or tablet. It is possible to monitor what is going on in real time. Recently, we were able to identify which of the four O2 sensors went bad on a friend's 1998 Lexus LS400. Saved him a trip to the mechanic. If you do use a Scan Tool to retrieve trouble codes, I would caution you not to reset the check engine light and erase codes. This could interfere with the technician's ability to diagnose problems. The computer records how long the vehicle was operated since the MIL (malfunction indicator light) came on.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Too bad you did not buy from AutoNation Subaru - you could have returned the vehicle within 3 days/500 miles for a full refund! In all seriousness, it will be an easy fix.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Too bad you did not buy from AutoNation Subaru - you could have returned the vehicle within 3 days/500 miles for a full refund! In all seriousness, it will be an easy fix.
Wait, I DID order from AutoNation? Is that part of their schtick!? I don’t watch commercials or pay attention when they come on but maybe I should start?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Wait, I DID order from AutoNation? Is that part of their schtick!? I don’t watch commercials or pay attention when they come on but maybe I should start?
AutoNation Subaru here in Colorado used to have a return offer (it was actually 5 day/250 miles) here in Colorado, but I am not sure if they are still offering it. They would have had you sign the appropriate paperwork when you signed your documents.

I could find date on this ad, but this shows what I am talking about.

https://www.autonation.com/money-back-guaranteed

·
Registered
149 Posts
AutoNation Subaru here in Colorado used to have a return offer (it was actually 5 day/250 miles) here in Colorado, but I am not sure if they are still offering it. They would have had you sign the appropriate paperwork when you signed your documents.

I could find date on this ad, but this shows what I am talking about.

https://www.autonation.com/money-back-guaranteed
My vehicle isn’t due to arrive at the dealer until 7/16 so I guess we’ll see then! Regardless, I am not planning on needing to return. Everything I keep reading and hearing is that Subaru corporate takes care of their folks so I am going to bank on that (and an extended warranty LOL).

·
Registered
313 Posts
I did check the lemon law for CA.. quite complicated to go through the process.. it could be that the dealer didn’t have a proper equipment to fix the software issues for the new line. I do hope they can fix it and is not a reoccurring problem.. i’m looking for a reliable car, and thought highly of Subaru.. ?
5-6 years ago I had issues with a new 2012 Impreza (in the end we think it was a bad axle) however after ~7 visits to the dealer service shop in less than a year I contacted SOA. My state has lemon law rules I looked up and was ready for, but Subaru was great about it, painless process, gave me a prorated amount that erred on the side of more than the law required, etc. That process, and specifically Wendy at Subaru, were the reasons we bought an Outback to replace the unfortunate Impreza.

All that said, if the dealer can't figure out something in a day or two, and it were me, I would contact Subaru directly, since it is literally brand new.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Keep us posted, and I would definitely write SoA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I will definitely keep you all posted. I will definitely contact SOA if dealer service says the same thing tomorrow that they have no clue what is wrong. I haven’t even driven 10 miles on that vehicle, and why do i have deal with inconveniences, late to work for 3 hrs the other day, have to change vacation plans, and would have to take time off work to pick it up... Now i dont even know if i trust this car to take it on a long road trip.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts