Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
*POSSIBLY* the gas cap...

Obviously going to call the dealer, but what could possibly be going on for multiple warnings? Check engine light is on, eyesight and RAB are disabled and the x-mode light is blinking. 800 miles, 2 weeks old.
Check your gas cap. Take it off, then tighten it all the way back on, then drive for a bit and see if it turns off. Subaru is VERY safety conscious. If it detects a fault, it shuts off ALL driver assist functions, thus, your dash lights like a Christmas Tree.

If that doesn't resolve it after a couple miles, then schedule an appointment at the dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I will, although I haven’t gotten gas in a few days. I was just reading an older thread with similar warnings, so I’ll have the dealership take a look.

Edited to add, gas cap was on tight. Have an appointment for tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Code came back as P24BA -Evap system leak sensor low. Hadn’t filled gas in a few days, so wasn’t gas cap, didn’t overfill either. No damage to lines, so they cleared the code and sent me on my way. They will do more extensive diagnostics if issue should repeat itself.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Code came back as P24BA -Evap system leak sensor low. Hadn’t filled gas in a few days, so wasn’t gas cap, didn’t overfill either. No damage to lines, so they cleared the code and sent me on my way. They will do more extensive diagnostics if issue should repeat itself.
Could still be the gas cap, as you use gas over a couple of days and it tests the evap system.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Aaand again... Yesterday morning, as soon as I cranked up, same as last time. This time the code is P2404, still “evap System leak”. Hopefully I’ll get it in for more extensive diagnostics today.
Ours just did the same thing on Tuesday. Everything back to normal on Weds. I have no clue. Don't have time to take it in. We are over 20K miles FYI. I feel like it has done this before in the past as well. Also, still pissed that we constantly lose the radio presets. That issue has been happening since day one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ours just did the same thing on Tuesday. Everything back to normal on Weds. I have no clue. Don't have time to take it in. We are over 20K miles FYI. I feel like it has done this before in the past as well. Also, still pissed that we constantly lose the radio presets. That issue has been happening since day one.
There’s an update for your head unit, to fix the presets issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wonder if this may be related to potentially loose turbo bolts that others poated about in mid-late 2018...again potentially. There are three bolts underside of turbo, shaped like a triangle, on passenger side that folks were either missing or were loose. You may want to feel those too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ours checks for updates every time we start the car at home, and every time we come back. It happened when we first got it almost a year ago for a few months, then an update came out and I don't remember it being an issue for a while...maybe over winter, but now it is happening again.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Ours checks for updates every time we start the car at home, and every time we come back. It happened when we first got it almost a year ago for a few months, then an update came out and I don't remember it being an issue for a while...maybe over winter, but now it is happening again.
No, that's not for firmware.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you have Navigation go to: https://subaru-maps.com/#/updates Click on the center tab for "Updates". If you don't have Navigation the dealership needs to do it. As Robert mentioned, this is a Firmware update and it has fixed the Preset problem. The one that the car checks for at home is for the individual maps for the states you have selected-roads, interstates, etc.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Aaand again... Yesterday morning, as soon as I cranked up, same as last time. This time the code is P2404, still “evap System leak”. Hopefully I’ll get it in for more extensive diagnostics today.
Since it does check the fuel system pressurization, even if the gas cap clicks, you could literally have a bad gas cap. I've only seen that once over the years, but it has happened. And the car doesn't know the difference between a loose gas cap and an actual fuel system leak - it treats those the same way, by turning your dash into a Christmas light display.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Obviously going to call the dealer, but what could possibly be going on for multiple warnings? Check engine light is on, eyesight and RAB are disabled and the x-mode light is blinking. 800 miles, 2 weeks old.
Mine had been doing the same thing on and off for weeks now. We bought it new just over 1 month ago. The dealer can't get it to duplicate it, and I hadn't gotten gas in just over a week the previous time it happened. The most recent two times it happened. I got gas and the lights went off. 24 hrs later, all lights are back on. This time, I finally got a message sent to my phone to make a service appointment. This never happened before. I am hoping the code is now stored and the service department can fix it this time. I am so frustrated. Do you know what the issue is/was with yours?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2019 Ascent Touring. Here are some things that we have gone trough that may be applicable to your situation:

1. Un-tightened Gas Cap: Wife didn't tighten the gas cap fully. After filling up, she normally drove home that day. Then, I drove it to work normally the next morning. We I attempted to go home in the afternoon, I got the full Christmas tree light show with All driving assist features off and not working. After finding and tightening the gas cap, I had to drive a little over 150 miles to get the error cleared out. I was told by Subaru that the cars need to drive a certain amount for the car's computer to verify it is all ok and clear the problem. Note that keeping the car and driving it with the active problem is not recommended. It is a risk and assumes that another problem does not exist. Of course it is a safety concern and could severely damage the car.

Recalls, etc:

1. Type: Customer Satisfaction| Service Campaign: WUU06| NHTSA Campaign: N/A ECU Reprogramming C1424
2. Type: Safety| Safety Recall: WUV07| NHTSA Campaign: 19V855000 Ascent CVT Chain Slip
3. Type: Safety| Safety Recall: WRD20| NHTSA Campaign: 20V218000 19 Ascent Fuel Pump Replacement
4. HC Head Unit/Navigation: Again, after all of the recalls have been fixed, the HC Head Unit with Navigation keeps going crazy. Some times it is ok and fully operational, then it will looses functions and all settings will be gone. Then, it will slowly gain a few functions, then start normally again. With this, sometimes the Rear Warning Backup/Braking, Navigation, Cruise Control, etc doesn't function. We have been connecting it to our Wifi to do the Head Unit updates and the map updates. They say it is all up to date. The maps are up to date, I think. It will download and install new ones. The Maps version says version 2017, etc.... Not sure if that is current. I turn off Wifi when not manually connecting to our house WiFi and updating. I tried downloading the program from the Subaru-maps website, and installing the program to my Mac, but I get an error warning stating "The configuration of your vehicle in the Portal is not complete. Please contact your retailer/dealer". So, now going down this rabbit hole.

Other current problems and dislikes we have/had:
1. Got a small chip in the windshield, probably from road debris. It is about half the size of a thumbtack head. I recently learned that Subaru Ascent windshields crack frequently. Going to get it sealed asap. Don't want to deal with the insurance and eye-sight calibration aggravation.
2. The driver seat's cooling fan is noisy and messed up.
3. The speakers are not powerful. Our 2010 Outback has MUCH greater power.
4. When changing the volume, the head unit dims with the speaker icon for way too long. We are unable to see or use any functions during that time. This is especially true while trying to glance at navigation.
5. When Eye-Sight turns on, the small upper dash screen switches to the Eye-Sight display which is totally worthless. It should may pop up for a few seconds when it initially engages and be a screen that you can scroll to if desired.
6. The rear compartment does not have adequate lighting. The only light is the measly left side manual light. I do not think that it has a "Door" mode. Even if it did, it is not bright enough for anything.
7. We have interior rattles everywhere.
8. I don't know if the turbo V4 is going to be durable in the long run.
9. Between the Subaru apps and the main websites and the local one, there should be better continuity in the records.

Conclusion:
We have been Subaru fans and owners for along time. I do not know if the newer Ascents have remedied most of these issues. I haven't started looking again until recently. We have had numerous problems with our 2019 Ascent Touring. We had the transmission replaced early on, after filing a safety complaint with the NHTSA. The car would surge and then stall like a bucking horse. This was early on, so the entire transmission was sent back to Subaru headquarters for investigation. The HC Head Unit and/or computers for the car keep going crazy time after time. I knew that buying a first year car was a gamble. Regardless, we are getting tired of all of the malfunctions we are having. All of the driver assist functions are a good thing, if they work. We would never fully rely on them, but being in this quasi state of car/computer control and it breaking is not good nor safe. The local dealer we use is ok. They are extremely busy. Since Subaru has become very popular here, the dealership has expanded, but is still probably not large enough. They have made it as painless as possible, but It seems that we keep having problem after problem. We cannot afford to take time off to make these constant trips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
More I own Subaru more I don't understand, why we have to deal with all this issue, we spend so much money, Subaru don't pay as for our time spending with Diller

1 - 18 of 18 Posts