Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love it! Aero bars are a little noisy, but bearable. Cost 10 times less than the Thule Aerobars! Put the Thule cargo box on top and works great& looks great! Actually was quieter once I put the box on top just won’t fit in the garage now. Don’t waste your money on a top of the line roof rack, just get the aero bars from eBay. These are the 53” ones and placed in the same location as all the measurements from Thules bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Love it! Aero bars are a little noisy, but bearable. Cost 10 times less than the Thule Aerobars! Put the Thule cargo box on top and works great& looks great! Actually was quieter once I put the box on top just won’t fit in the garage now. Don’t waste your money on a top of the line roof rack, just get the aero bars from eBay. These are the 53” ones and placed in the same location as all the measurements from Thules bars.
Can you post a link? I couldn't find them on eBay and would like to take a closer look.

I did find these though, which are intersting because they are probably the lowest profile bars out there.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIGHTLINE...PSGround!92121!US!-1:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

·
Registered
542 Posts
Can you post a link? I couldn't find them on eBay and would like to take a closer look.

I did find these though, which are intersting because they are probably the lowest profile bars out there.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIGHTLINE...es/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]f:1&frcectupt=true
Those look great!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree, compared to the others, it's a heck of a deal at $43. Has metal feet and bars, so it doesn't look like it'd go anywhere once attached; although the lock is easily defeated given the end caps are just plastic. The hex used for tightening things down is also molded into the end caps. For fear of losing the rack and roof box at highway speeds, I get heavy handed with tightening things down and will likely end up breaking the end cap (evidence of that happening in one of the Amazon reviews). But at the price point, I suppose you can just buy more of the same rack and have spare parts galore.

I've already got a Yakima rack that's been used on all our family haulers dating back to early 2003. Faded and not the prettiest anymore, but it's still still solid and I don't want to start over with the attachments since most of what I have is for the round bars; otherwise, I'd be really tempted to give this a try.

·
Registered
418 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve had the expensive Thule and Yakima racks on multiple vehicles. I honestly can say (with experience) that these cheap racks can be trusted at the same speeds and loads as the others. Here are a few more pics...
I agree, compared to the others, it's a heck of a deal at $43. Has metal feet and bars, so it doesn't look like it'd go anywhere once attached; although the lock is easily defeated given the end caps are just plastic. The hex used for tightening things down is also molded into the end caps. For fear of losing the rack and roof box at highway speeds, I get heavy handed with tightening things down and will likely end up breaking the end cap (evidence of that happening in one of the Amazon reviews). But at the price point, I suppose you can just buy more of the same rack and have spare parts galore.

I've already got a Yakima rack that's been used on all our family haulers dating back to early 2003. Faded and not the prettiest anymore, but it's still still solid and I don't want to start over with the attachments since most of what I have is for the round bars; otherwise, I'd be really tempted to give this a try.

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts

If they are noisy, you probably have them on backwards. The thicker part is suppose to face the front and the thin tear drop side face the back - just like wings on an airplane.

I don't have any noise whatsoever from mine - have had them 6 months.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did not try this specific one, but did try imitation bars. I was very unhappy with them. Rattle, wind sounds, and cheapness. I do believe name brand bars are way too expensive, but was better than the cheaper ones in my opinion.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks, saw that after I posted. Was kinda hoping for Ascent specific feedback to see how much clearance there is under the rails.

I'll probably end up ordering them, and swapping out the Allen to tamper resistant screws.

Ah. I will probably be able to provide that feedback before too long. I liked the Brightlines on the Crosstrek enough that I will most likely be getting the Ascent ones. On the Trek they were mostly like the OEM ones, the difference being they are slightly lower profile, so not quite as much room between the crossbars and the roof. However, that also means they are flatter than the OEM. I like them because they let my roof basket sit just a touch lower. I think it looks better, and also makes the basket a touch easier to reach. When we're doin our big road trip we usually stop and get a hotel room halfway through, and it's already a pain to have to unload the basket, then reload it in the mornin. Every little thing that makes it easier is a win for me :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone here have a roof basket on top with the moonroof? Just wondering how much the basket would block the view out the top. Anyone have pics?

·
Registered
542 Posts
FYI

Save 15% off the eBay crossbar with today’s coupon code that expires 7PM PST

PSAVETODAY

Got mine for $85, love the low profile look

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do, see pics above! I placed mine to the left of center to still save the visibility out of the panoramic sunroof

Does anyone here have a roof basket on top with the moonroof? Just wondering how much the basket would block the view out the top. Anyone have pics?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.