Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Center Console Cup Holder

20K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Jim_in_PA 
#1 ·
One of the few complaints I have about my new Ascent are the cup holders in the center console, which are ill suited for holding the 20 oz cup of coffee I pick up on my way into work each day. My cup wobbles around like a drunken sailor in the over-sized opening. My 2005 Honda Pilot had cup holders that were deeper and had rubber tabs that held the cup steady. I will admit the Ascent's center cup holder is prettier, especially with the blue rings of light at the bottom. Does anyone know of an aftermarket solution that might improve the functionality of the center console cup holders?

#4 ·
Hum, that's a really good point. I am kind of a cup holder nerd. Its important that they be accessible and practical. Engineers that design stuff without testing it out over and over drives me INSANE. (which is kind of what happened here). Are you telling me that NO ONE at Subaru put a smaller cup in the cup holder and thought...'I could see how a small cup of coffee could slide around in here and potentially burn somebody..lets fix that!' When a large number of people give something the 'green light', its these little details that should be covered...OK I'll step down from my soap box.

Sparklands suggestion is an interesting one. Though I could see the inserts just coming out, suck to the bottom of the cup instead of staying in place. Interested what you come up with

#5 ·
My '15 Outback included one of those inserts to handle a smaller container in one cup holder. I never used it. Even a soda can seemed to stay upright with the extra slack in the holder.

#7 ·
Not sure if this would help or not - but one thing I would think about is maybe getting some 3M Gripping Material TB641 Black (it’s available on Amazon) and cutting it to shape to line the bottom of the cup holders. It’s an adhesive backed super grippy rubber material that might help with the jiggling.
Just a thought...

#9 ·
The large size of the front console cup holders and the inability to adjust is one of my only complaints as well. This isn't a perfect solution but it is working for me until something better comes along. I drive a minimum of 6 round-abouts getting to and from my kids' school every day and I got tired of trying to pin my coffee mug in place while circling them all. Check out this YouTube video for a quick and easy solution. I ordered black neoprene wine carriers on Amazon in a set of three in case I wanted to alter any of the other cup holders later.

Hope this helps someone. It is working like a charm for me.

#10 ·
I have the same issue with a 30 oz. Yeti. It’s a huge cup but the base is small enough that it tilts when accelerating or turning. I find myself holding onto the cup any time I’m maneuvering just to keep my tea from spilling out of the hole in the lid all over my new car. I’ve got the Touring model so I’m also concerned about the lights in the bottom of the cup holders getting wet. I’d like to think they thought of that though considering that non insulated cups will be dripping with condensation. It’s extremely frustrating.

#11 · (Edited)
This issue is driving my wife crazy, rightfully so. Very surprised by this design from Subaru. Looking for a cup holder insert to secure coffee mugs better. Nothing seems ideal.

This one linked below seems to be for the opposite problem but still could work. I don't like how tall it is though. Anyone find a commercial product to just insert in cup holder and essentially make it smaller/more secure? Not crazy about the DIY option above.

https://www.amazon.com/Swigzy-Holder-Expander-Adapter-Adjustable/dp/B0752DZ1SB

This one could work too:
https://www.amazon.com/BottlePro-2-0-Adjustable-Extendable-Nalgenes/dp/B01M028L5E

#12 ·
Folks have come up with some good workarounds. Here's a favorite of mine:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...likes-dislikes/2069-19-cup-holders-but-2.html

I couldn't find ones that were short enough, and didn't feel like cutting one up - or covering the neat blue lighting inside mine.

Here's the solution I came up with which, with one exception, works well. The exception is I think they detailed the plastic surfaces, so, the 3M adhesive backing doesn't stick well to it. So, a little surface prep is needed.

https://www.facebook.com/SubaruAmbassadorRobert/videos/2117775158263498/

#13 ·
Cup Holder Issue--I found a pretty good solution

This is an issue that Subaru needs to address, but in the mean time I, and many others have tried to "fix" the issue. I think I have found a pretty good solution; at least it solves my problem. My wife and I use the large size cup from McDonald's most of the time and it rattles around like so many other items. I purchased a Rubbermaid Mobile Cup Organizer and it works great, with a little modification.
It has a cup holder, which fits perfectly in the existing Ascent cupholder, with rubber "stays" on the sides. It holds the McDonald's cup still and snug. It also has a empty spaces on the bottom which allow the blue light to shine thru a little bit. It has 2 small rectangle compartments on the back which I simply cut off with a hacksaw leaving just the cup holder. Perfect!
I bought it at Advance Auto for $7.99. Once I was sure it worked I bought a 2nd one on Amazon for $9.27 which was delivered in one day. Here is the title on Amazon to search for:
Rubbermaid Automotive Cup Holder Car Storage Organizer Caddy, Standard
Give it a try, it might work for you too.

#16 ·
Anyone come up with the best solution for the inadequate front console cupholders in the '19 Ascent Touring?

#17 ·
There are multiple threads with various solutions to various problems, depending on whether or not you need bigger or smaller...

Reactions: kann
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.