Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a CB radio and NOT gone thru the firewall to route the power cable? What did you do instead?

Also, if you DID go thru the firewall, can you please share a few photos and describe the ease or difficulty of doing this?

I don’t want to half-a*s the install but I also don’t want an unnecessary challenge if there are different ways to run power. Thanks!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I believe one of these blanks are hot. Just use a fuse tap with 10amp fuse.

Otherwise if you perform a search, there's talk about running wire along the hood release cable grommet lower left firewall.

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
I went out the door for now, but I am planning a through roof mount. Will share details tomorrow or in person Sunday.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for your insights. The power cable ends are both bare but if I recall correctly a fuse tap and/or adapter will turn it from open ends to accommodate the fuse box. As it stands now I'd only be able to do a direct battery tap. I may do that option now and run it thru the hood and door jam just to get me thru a trip over the weekend. Yes @Robert.Mauro I look forward to speaking with you more about it for sure! I don't want to rush it once it's a permanent setup...and want to make sure it's clean and safe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Where do you install the radio? I always had a CB and an external speaker in my Jeep. Just don't see a good place in the Ascent.

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
Where do you install the radio? I always had a CB and an external speaker in my Jeep. Just don't see a good place in the Ascent.
I got a remote unit, and installed the base behind the passenger side center-of-car kick panel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got a remote unit, and installed the base behind the passenger side center-of-car kick panel.

Thanks Robert. I had one of those in my RV and it worked good with a good antenna. The one I had in my Jeep was a compact one (Cobra I think) and it had a jack to add an external speaker for talking. That was fun on trail rides, with the grandkids and useful for directing traffic at times.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone installed a CB radio and NOT gone thru the firewall to route the power cable? What did you do instead?

Also, if you DID go thru the firewall, can you please share a few photos and describe the ease or difficulty of doing this?

I don’t want to half-a*s the install but I also don’t want an unnecessary challenge if there are different ways to run power. Thanks!
I have a very small radio shack CB ( works incredibly well had it 30+ years ) that fits in the slot in front of the shift liver and just plugged in to the 12 volt cigar type lighter receptacle that is deep in this recessed area , it is deep and hard to see

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe one of these blanks are hot. Just use a fuse tap with 10amp fuse.
Otherwise if you perform a search, there's talk about running wire along the hood release cable grommet lower left firewall.
I believe the fuse blank you are pointing to is #7 and it is hot when accessory mode is on. The one below it is #12 and is hot even when the vehicle is off. Had I known that I would have used it for my dashcam...but I digress lol. Anyway, I'm going to try and see how empty #7 works out. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I believe the fuse blank you are pointing to is #7 and it is hot when accessory mode is on. The one below it is #12 and is hot even when the vehicle is off. Had I known that I would have used it for my dashcam...but I digress lol. Anyway, I'm going to try and see how empty #7 works out. Stay tuned!
I wouldn't use #12 for dash cam lol drain your battery.

You can also tap the heated seat it's hot even if the vehicle is off.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't use #12 for dash cam lol drain your battery.

You can also tap the heated seat it's hot even if the vehicle is off.
All good I’ve actually had the dashcam in #33 for about two years, but I just didn’t think to check blank fuse spaces at the time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here's the report from the field. Fuse #7 worked like a champ. I did a temporary setup just to get things going. What I'd like to do is come up with a power connection point to conveniently install and remove the CB radio. I'd like to leave the fuse and ground permanently installed on the vehicle (likely using the ground point that my dashcam is using), and then splice in connectors on the red and black wires to connect/disconnect them whenever needed or not. This way I don't have to touch the fuse panel every time I want the radio in. I have a "vision", but now it's a matter of shopping around for the right connectors.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I was able to wire-up a plug so the ground and fuse tap can remain installed, and I can just connect the radio whenever it’s needed. Don’t want to keep messing with the fuse panel whenever it’s CB time. Need to figure out a clean path for the cables but this is a start!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts