Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I purchased Weather Tech floor mats for our 2019 Ascent Limited. The WeatherTech mats offer great coverage and look good. About two weeks later, we made a 600 mile trip to visit our daughter in Arkansas. I noticed the driver side mat was dirty and took it out and shook off the dirt and replaced the driver side mat.

A few hours later I started the Ascent and the car was revving between wildly between 3000 and 4000 rpm -- it sounded like I was driving a Harley and wanted to impress everyone by making a lot of noise. I shut off the motor and tried a couple of more times, the engine revving crazily each time. I was even able to drive forward a few feet and this did nothing to slow the rpm's. The car was not driveable.

So I called the Subaru Roadside Assistance number since I only had the Ascent for 6 months and approximately 8000 miles. Subaru Roadside Assistance was helpful and sent a tow truck on its way to take the car to the nearest Subaru dealer which was 30 miles away.

While waiting for the tow truck, I called the dealer to see if they would have an Ascent loaner since I needed to take our family of seven on a 400 mile round-trip the next day to watch our grandson compete in the state high school cross country meet. I finally got through to the service manager at Adventure Subaru in Fayetteville and he asked me to describe the problem. He listened and said the only time he had heard of a similar problem, it was due to a floor mat improperly installed and resting on the accelerator pedal.

The light went on in my head and I told him that I had just removed and reinstalled the floor mats. I immediately went out and checked and that was the problem. I thanked him profusely for his help and immediately called Subaru Roadside Assistance and cancelled the tow truck.

Moral of the story -- don't make a stupid move like I did and check carefully when reinstalling the floor mats in your Ascent (or any car). My only defense is that is was a dark cloudy day and I could not see that the front of the driver's side floor mat was resting on the accelerator.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
My 1963 Chevy had a floor hinged pedal, and, I got a set of cheap "universal" mats once, that would slide onto the pedal and make the car accelerate. Real pain to try to "heel grab" the mat and yank it back while steering and unintentionally accelerating.

Ah, fun times. :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My late RX350 had a recall where they cut off the bottom inch or so of the accelerator pedal to reduce the chance of an errant carpet catching on it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Wasn’t there a Floor Mat-gate that happened a few years ago?...Can’t seem to remember the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
^^^ yeah. Lexus was part of that.

(Way) Back in the day, most gas pedals were attached and hinged at the floor. A carpet could ride up on the pedal but didn't have enough leverage to affect it. Hinging them from above, the point were the carpet contacts has the best leverage. Now we have hooks on the floor that engage grommets in the carpets to prevent them from sliding forward.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enjoyed the responses. I just wanted folks to be aware that if you start your Ascent (or any other vehicle) and the engine rpm's are crazy high, just remember to be smarter than I was and to check your driver floor mat before calling Subaru Roadside Assistance like I did. ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts