Subaru Ascent Forum banner
161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
384 Posts
So I went to the link and our car is affected. It states the remedy is not available yet. At the bottom it says: If the manufacturer has failed or is unable to remedy this safety recall for your vehicle in a timely manner, please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at: 1-888-327-4236 or TTY: 1-800-424-9153 or file an online complaint with NHTSA.
I guess if I'm selling it in a few days, then I'll make the complaint and contact a lemon law lawyer if the price is affected or they decide not to purchase the vehicle because their hands are tied if they try to sell it and the carafe shows a problem and says remedy not available yet.
BUT if im not selling the car in a few days, then its no big deal.
From what I've read, the "remedy" won't be announced nor performed before Feb. Sounds like you may be in limbo until then regarding selling or trading. Maybe see if carfax, carvana, vroom, etc will do a deal now, and take the money and run.

·
Banned
244 Posts
well if I do a deal in the next few days, that's the plan. But if I could look it up, then car fax will have it. The dealer has to give me only $34,500 because of the trade tax advantage, but their guaranteed trade- which one dealer told me Subaru did not update for the used car prices during the pandemic, is much lower. Like 30k. Thats why im trying to do a deal now. Get 37500, buy the new 2022 touring, and the difference should not be too much, but after used prices go down, the difference is crazy. I mean eventually we would do it anyway, buy now the value is high. I recently received a mailer from a dealer offering to put me in a new 2021- last years, trade the 2019 and give him $20k. That is crazy to me, but a real good deal for him.
So if you know someone who wants a 2019 with brand new tires, hitch, and new front shocks, springs, strut bearings, and alignment.....
Unfortunately the wait is pretty long so we have to figure the logistics of that also.

Plus we had the grey and want some color. You know your are getting older when people are buying cars in colors that your generation called primer, and covered with paint! I cant believe some of these "colors".

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,242 Posts
So I went to the link and our car is affected. It states the remedy is not available yet. At the bottom it says: If the manufacturer has failed or is unable to remedy this safety recall for your vehicle in a timely manner, please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at: 1-888-327-4236 or TTY: 1-800-424-9153 or file an online complaint with NHTSA.
I guess if I'm selling it in a few days, then I'll make the complaint and contact a lemon law lawyer if the price is affected or they decide not to purchase the vehicle because their hands are tied if they try to sell it and the carafe shows a problem and says remedy not available yet.
BUT if im not selling the car in a few days, then its no big deal.
I don't think that making a complaint is going to get you anything at all at this point. I doubt you have a basis for anything under most state lemon laws, either. This literally was just announced and the legal notices have not even gone out yet...they must go by US mail per the regulations and they are looking at mid-first-quarter 2022 for that. It's normal for there to be a delay between when initial notice is posted about a coming recall and having the remedy available. 'Timely manner" is at NHTSA's discretion, too.

I will agree that it's unfortunate timing for you, however, if you intend to sell your vehicle right away. CarFax does know about it as I got a notice from them today...my dealer participates in the CarFax "bombard you with email" system.

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
384 Posts
well if I do a deal in the next few days, that's the plan. But if I could look it up, then car fax will have it. The dealer has to give me only $34,500 because of the trade tax advantage, but their guaranteed trade- which one dealer told me Subaru did not update for the used car prices during the pandemic, is much lower. Like 30k. Thats why im trying to do a deal now. Get 37500, buy the new 2022 touring, and the difference should not be too much, but after used prices go down, the difference is crazy. I mean eventually we would do it anyway, buy now the value is high. I recently received a mailer from a dealer offering to put me in a new 2021- last years, trade the 2019 and give him $20k. That is crazy to me, but a real good deal for him.
So if you know someone who wants a 2019 with brand new tires, hitch, and new front shocks, springs, strut bearings, and alignment.....
Unfortunately the wait is pretty long so we have to figure the logistics of that also.

Plus we had the grey and want some color. You know your are getting older when people are buying cars in colors that your generation called primer, and covered with paint! I cant believe some of these "colors".
My advice would be to "strike while the iron is hot". About 2 months ago I sold my 2014 RAM/Cummins 2500 4x4 Crew Cab. I paid $42K OTD in 2014, sold it for $39.5K..."I took the money and ran". If you can get by with another means of transportation until you find the right Ascent (or something else). This seller's market won't last forever. I'd take the best offer that you can get from the usual suspects before your car gets too tangled up with the transmission recall issues and becomes dead meat to the resale buyers. Let Carvana, Carmax, Vroom etc, etc, deal with the recall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cindy, here’s my anecdotal story:

Wife and I traded our ‘13 Explorer Limited in at the end of October for our new to us ‘19 Ascent Limited. Our Explorer had an open recall, so did the Ascent (fuel pump). Ohio allows used vehicles to be sold with an open recall and does not require it to be disclosed to the buyer(s). Didn’t affect my trade value on the Explorer, salesman never mentioned it. They didn’t even drive the Explorer, put it on a lift, etc. when we did the deal, they just flat out wanted it.

Same with my ‘07 Acura TL Type-S I traded in this past May. No recalls, but the dealer never drove it and didn’t put it on a lift to inspect it.

Dealers need inventory and they are more open to trade scenarios that may not be as prime as in the past. Personally, check your vehicle on Carvana, Vroom and webuyanycar. See what they offer and go from there but I wouldn’t put any worry into the recall having an impact on the trade value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Ridgeline is a FWD based unibody truck w/ standard AWD. I think the Subaru AWD is far better; but in all honestly the real world result is the same. Under the sheetbetal there is quite a bit that differs between it and the Pilot. Additionally, it is longer, wider, uses a conventional V6 w/ a transmission that the fluid can be serviced over time (one of the biggest issues I have on the CVT.

Will the Ridgeline tow as much as a "real truck" ; No... I wont clarify if a real truck is a Maverick , Ranger , F150 , F250 , ... ... The best comparision I have seen is that if you head to the hardware store there are a variety of hammers and saws. The Ridgeline is not the best selling mainstream option, but it is an option. Unfortunately all the "Real Trucks" that I can deck out to be an extension of my ego / manhood are horrible in the city.

We got the Ascent as a compromise (as most all SUVs are). When we bought it we were towing under 2k. Now at over 3k I am less than impressed and a little concerned. The Ridgeline only tows 5k but it can do it better. Same as a 4 Runner; a "Real" SUV that can tow 5k. If the MPG, crash tests, etc were not so bad; it was appealing.
Subaru awd is not even in the same league as the torque vectoring awd system I-vt4 that’s in the Ridgeline, Pilot and sh-AWD that’s in the Acura (same system). I hear this often and it baffles me. Subaru, Audi, bmw, Toyota, Lexus etc all have similar clutch based systems in the transfer cases but use braking systems to transfer power between L and R wheels. Honda/Acura use dual clutch systems in each differential that can transfer 100% of the power to 1 wheel. The only other manufacturer to use torque vectoring that I’m aware of is Lamborghini. There’s many videos on YouTube that show Subarus not being able to climb a icy grade or a steep sand hill while the Honda goes right up easily. Subarus are not anything special fyi.

·
Banned
244 Posts
What was this pos about? Was it catastrophic transmission failure? As soon as I hog tinge point of vehicle modification - as much as I’m not a fan, I’d tell you your in your own. Can’t believe Subaru covered it. Somewhere along the way someone mentioned my complaint-
It paid 5k, but didn’t make up for the loss.’

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Subaru awd is not even in the same league as the torque vectoring awd system I-vt4 that’s in the Ridgeline, Pilot and sh-AWD that’s in the Acura (same system).
Correct. The Subaru system beats or trounces the Hondas, and many of the others, regularly, repeatedly. It rarely loses, especially when equipped with the same type tires. Oh, and it's been torque vectoring for ages for terrain issues, as well as active torque vectoring when steering for years.

Which is the ONLY vehicle that easily completed the course?

1. Jeep Compass 03:49
  2. Toyota RAV4 08:03
  3. Mitsubishi Outlander 11:33
  4. Subaru Forester 14:31
  5. Kia Sportage 16:40
  6. Hyundai Tucson 20:05
  7. Mazda CX-5 23:28
  8. Ford Escape 26:48
  9. Honda CR-V 30:00
  10. Haval H6 33:57
  11. Volkswagen Tiguan 36:50
  12. Nissan X-Trail 40:43

Which vehicle finished the test course without error'ing out its AWD system?
  1. Honda Passport (using the Honda I-VTM4 system)
  2. Subaru Outback Wilderness

161 - 168 of 168 Posts