Subaru Ascent Forum banner
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,428 Posts
Sounds like a free cvt fluid change! My luck though, they’d be poopholes and put the same fluid back in after draining for an inspection!
It'll be interesting to see exactly what they're looking for visually. A CVT fluid analysis would be more comforting. They know the metallurgy of the chain area and guide areas that are getting damaged so finding it in the fluid would be telling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t know. To me there has to be a basic, underlying problem, either mechanical, hydraulic, or electronics and programming that Subaru should be upfront about- because it is occurring- look at the recent post about the transmission breaking open at 10k- and it is definatlet changing people’s perception of the reliability of the car. Our car‘s suspension got fixed, but I want out because it’s a 2019.

What I did notice is two things. One , you said a new recall is coming for the transmission, and two I notice at 34k the slightest stumble when accelerating in a conservative manner from a stop. It almost seems to me, but much more subtle, like its a manual transmission going into the beginning of a stall, and then recovering. That is not a reassuring feeling.

it’s like if Subaru came out and said there is a “bug” and extended everyone’s warranty on the power train to 10 years, then the issue would be a blip on the screen. Instead, its a story that they are allowing to ruin their reputation. Look at how the reliability of the car fell. Making it right for everyone is the way to go. Look at the massive engine recall for Kia and hyndai- they played games , but all it did was cost them customers. They are still going to fix all the cars.
I'd love to buy a Subaru but reading these transmission issues won't buy it unless Subaru fixes them. I have Kia Sorrento for last 3 years without a single problem. Kia Telluride seems much better than Subaru.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
384 Posts
I'd love to buy a Subaru but reading these transmission issues won't buy it unless Subaru fixes them. I have Kia Sorrento for last 3 years without a single problem. Kia Telluride seems much better than Subaru.
Could be true, but consider that every carmaker has occasional glitches. Google "Kia/Hyundai Theta II engine recall" Kia & Hyundai had to replace many thousands of these engines due to rod bearing failures, caused by a design/manufacturing defect. I considered a Kia Telluride, nice SUV, but every dealer in this area wanted $4000 to $8000 over MSRP....price gouging. Get back to us with what you pay for a Telluride.

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
It'll be interesting to see exactly what they're looking for visually. A CVT fluid analysis would be more comforting. They know the metallurgy of the chain area and guide areas that are getting damaged so finding it in the fluid would be telling.
It's easy enough to visually inspect the chain guide - pop the pan off, and pull the valve body out of the way. And, if it's broken but not ground down, residue won't be in the CVT fluid.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
It's easy enough to visually inspect the chain guide - pop the pan off, and pull the valve body out of the way. And, if it's broken but not ground down, residue won't be in the CVT fluid.
I have not followed this string, so I risk asking an annoying question to those that have ... is there a listing of the VIN numbers or the VIN range that are affected by the CVT recall?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have not followed this string, so I risk asking an annoying question to those that have ... is there a listing of the VIN numbers or the VIN range that are affected by the CVT recall?
I didn't see anything published by SoA, other than "some 2019-2020". Plug your VIN in here, it should come up

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Not yet public. But, you can use the link in my recall thread to check.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What is the point of the inspection? What if they inspect on Monday, and the guides break on Tuesday?
I suppose if it breaks on Tuesday, they fix it. If it doesn't break, they don't fix it until it does, if it ever does. The TCM reprogramming is the corrective/preventative measure. I'm not sure what else you would expect Subaru to do????

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
What is the point of the inspection? What if they inspect on Monday, and the guides break on Tuesday?
If they inspect and there's no damage, then reprogramming the CVT will prevent the issue that causes damage by maintaining proper clamping pressure on the chain. Thus, they should be preventing it from ever happening.

·
Banned
244 Posts
rob I saw this from one of your posts with the recall info-" remedy not available yet"
So here is the problem: mid I try to sell the car at say caravan- will they lower the price for not buy it due to the recall? Subaru would have to make up the difference. As you can see this causes a lot of worry because im trying to negotiate a vip sale.

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
rob I saw this from one of your posts with the recall info-" remedy not available yet"
So here is the problem: mid I try to sell the car at say caravan- will they lower the price for not buy it due to the recall? Subaru would have to make up the difference. As you can see this causes a lot of worry because im trying to negotiate a vip sale.
Unless you find some obscure state law I am not aware of, Subaru doesn't have to do any such thing - doesn't mean they won't if asked nicely - doesn't mean they will no matter how they're asked.

As for Carvana, whether or not a car seller can sell a used car with an open recall is up to state law. Some states (such as NY) have laws against selling used (or any) cars with certain open recalls, such as this law.

So, all in all, Carvana can buy the car from you, regardless of state. But, (a) they cannot resell it with an open recall in some states, or (b) can resell it without the recall being addressed in other states (in which case, the new owner can get the recall addressed for free).

Federal law prohibits dealerships from selling NEW cars with open recalls - so, those laws don't apply to used cars.

·
Registered
384 Posts
packard
8 I would expect lifetime warranty on transmission. this is based upon past car experience. if you wish we could elaborate
Not an unreasonable ask. Hyundai/Kia now offers a lifetime, unlimited mileage warranty on the shortblock assy of the ill-fated Theta II engines. It even applies to subsequent owners in the used market. A smart move IMO, and good PR.

OTOH, I'm reminded of a friend's ex-wife who, after a breakdown, commanded him to "Take it to the mechanic, and tell him to fix it so it never breaks again".

• Haha
Reactions: Hankdog

·
Banned
244 Posts
well I'm asking because its something on their pricing page, and im wondering if the recall is official yet or if it can be repaired quickly, because I think it may affect value. im just trying tom cover all the bases in this crazy time incase I pull the trigger on the 2022.

·
Banned
244 Posts
So I went to the link and our car is affected. It states the remedy is not available yet. At the bottom it says: If the manufacturer has failed or is unable to remedy this safety recall for your vehicle in a timely manner, please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at: 1-888-327-4236 or TTY: 1-800-424-9153 or file an online complaint with NHTSA.
I guess if I'm selling it in a few days, then I'll make the complaint and contact a lemon law lawyer if the price is affected or they decide not to purchase the vehicle because their hands are tied if they try to sell it and the carafe shows a problem and says remedy not available yet.
BUT if im not selling the car in a few days, then its no big deal.

141 - 160 of 168 Posts