Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I too my Touring model to the carwash yesterday. As I watched my car glide by through the window, I remembered that I still had the key fob in my pocket! An oh-no-what-have-I-done moment. One of the attendants was even able to drive the car around the side of the building to run it through again to get extra dust off the back. The car drove just fine! I thought I remember reading in the manual that you are supposed to do something inside the car before you go through a carwash, but I couldn't recall what that was at the time. Not relevant to my Key fob discovery, but anyway, I was shocked in retrospect that it appears that once the car is started, it will drive off just fine without the key fob inside of it, right? Something to keep in mind. I have been trying to tell myself to keep the darn thing in my pocket prior to this because I once left it sitting in the car when I went into a store. Yikes! So convenient, but also dangerous! Summary: 1) Is there something I should have done with the sensors before entering the carwash and 2) Is there a best/better practice for the key fob when entering a carwash AND you can't be inside the car to run it through?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
I too my Touring model to the carwash yesterday. As I watched my car glide by through the window, I remembered that I still had the key fob in my pocket! An oh-no-what-have-I-done moment. One of the attendants was even able to drive the car around the side of the building to run it through again to get extra dust off the back. The car drove just fine! I thought I remember reading in the manual that you are supposed to do something inside the car before you go through a carwash, but I couldn't recall what that was at the time. Not relevant to my Key fob discovery, but anyway, I was shocked in retrospect that it appears that once the car is started, it will drive off just fine without the key fob inside of it, right? Something to keep in mind. I have been trying to tell myself to keep the darn thing in my pocket prior to this because I once left it sitting in the car when I went into a store. Yikes! So convenient, but also dangerous! Summary: 1) Is there something I should have done with the sensors before entering the carwash and 2) Is there a best/better practice for the key fob when entering a carwash AND you can't be inside the car to run it through?
It seems reasonable to me that your Ascent would stay running and be drivable with the FOB out of range. Probably safest to just leave the FOB in a cup holder next time. The owner's manual says that there are warning beeps when you walk away with the FOB and leave it running and also when you drive it without the FOB in the car.

Although people here have gone through car washes with everything turned on the consensus is to disable both Eyesight (ceiling button) and Auto Vehicle Hold AVH (lower center button) before a car wash. That's what I do, although it sounds like you weren't using AVH at the time because the car moved through ok.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems reasonable to me that your Ascent would stay running and be drivable with the FOB out of range. Probably safest to just leave the FOB in a cup holder next time. The owner's manual says that there are warning beeps when you walk away with the FOB and leave it running and also when you drive it without the FOB in the car.

Although people here have gone through car washes with everything turned on the consensus is to disable both Eyesight (ceiling button) and Auto Vehicle Hold AVH (lower center button) before a car wash. That's what I do, although it sounds like you weren't using AVH at the time because the car moved through ok.
I suppose its also possible that considering the carwash sees enough vehicles that one of the guys hopped in and disabled the AVH themself, but I didn't do it either. So, I apparently got lucky. I'll remember your tips next time. Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
They say your supposed to disable auto braking. But at some point Subaru disabled this in software when in neutral.

Does the auto brake hold work in neutral?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The AVH will work just fine in neutral at the car wash and your car won’t move at all down the line. The roller will just keep hitting your tire like going over a bump. I know this from experience.

Also don’t forget the automatic windshield wipers if you have them.

Check list for car wash

1. Auto braking off - ceiling right hand button.
2. AVH off - center console in front of shifter.
3. Auto wipers off - stalk on right side of steering column push it up.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Yeah, it was quite embarrassing my first time through a car wash...

·
Registered
597 Posts
I know the car will beep when you remove the key fob and close the door. I'm not shocked the car still works as normal even without the key fob in the car. It would be really bad if the battery in the key fob died and the car just stopped working right away.

I only go to touch free car washes as I worry about the brushes scratching the paint. Granted I also prefer to clean the car myself if I can find a good day to do it.;)

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
They say your supposed to disable auto braking. But at some point Subaru disabled this in software when in neutral.

Does the auto brake hold work in neutral?
It works, they didn't disable it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.