Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to be driving to some out of the way areas on Vancouver Island this summer. I don't think range will be an issue, but I'd feel a heck of a lot better if we had an extra container or two of gas with us.

The issue is, we have a medium sized Thule rooftop box that we will likely bring with us. I'm wondering if a skinny roof basket would fit alongside the rooftop box if I pushed the box further outboard instead of centering it.

Has anyone done this? Has anyone put gas cans on their roof basket and what type did you use?

https://racksolid.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/kuat-skinny-basket.jpg

· Registered
104 Posts
You may want to consider FuelpaX by RotopaX. FuelpaX containers can lay flat and have ways to mount them to racks as well as locking them to prevent theft. They also come in 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 gallon capacities. They are available on the RotopaX website (although frequently showing as out of stock) and Amazon (usually in stock). Their products (they also have similar containers for diesel, water, or whatever other liquid you want to store) are very common with offroaders.

Reactions: TheLex

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may want to consider FuelpaX by RotopaX. FuelpaX containers can lay flat and have ways to mount them to racks as well as locking them to prevent theft. They also come in 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 gallon capacities. They are available on the RotopaX website (although frequently showing as out of stock) and Amazon (usually in stock). Their products (they also have similar containers for diesel, water, or whatever other liquid you want to store) are very common with offroaders.
Yes, I saw those. They seem to be a great solution, albeit a pricey one since a 2 gal RotaPax is about $87. But two of them would give me 4 gal, or about 45 miles of range, which should be quite enough.

· Registered
354 Posts
Yes, I saw those. They seem to be a great solution, albeit a pricey one since a 2 gal RotaPax is about $87. But two of them would give me 4 gal, or about 45 miles of range, which should be quite enough.
They've got some 50% items right now due to 'blemishes'.

Also, did you mean 4 gallons for 85 miles of range instead of 45 miles of range?

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They've got some 50% items right now due to 'blemishes'.

Also, did you mean 4 gallons for 85 miles of range instead of 45 miles of range?
Thanks for the tip!

Yes, I meant 85 miles. 45 miles would mean I'm off-roading somewhere the Ascent probably shouldn't be lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts