Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
question regarding carplay. if i connect it to infotainment and i use my gps app will it show up in the infotainment?
thanks

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yes that the general idea of CarPlay. I find that it takes a bit of time from when you first start up the vehicle to when CarPlay initializes. Sometimes I have to get past the lock screen of the phone before it starts up.

Make sure when you get into google maps that you toggle the map to show north as up. You can do it using the settings icon on the upper right of the screen if I remember correctly. It makes following the map much easier.

·
Super Moderator
2,457 Posts
[
If you have iOS 11, apple map can only be used. I heard that iOS 12 allow google map to be used w/ carplay.
Correct. Waze and Google maps work on CarPlay with iOS 12. Presumably there can be others as 3rd party maps are allowed now but the specific app would have to come with CarPlay functionality.
I use them all the time and prefer it to any factory navigation system

·
Registered
240 Posts
To clarify... your GPS "app" won't show up on the infotainment system. The Apple Carplay app will show up on the infotainment system, which will give you access to your GPS app.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi
thanks for the info guys. but im using (here app) which is an offline navigation. which might not work on carplay

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Sorry

hi
thanks for the info guys. but im using (here app) which is an offline navigation. which might not work on carplay
Here App, formerly Navteq, formerly Nokia's Maps, formerly Here, currently HERE, will not work on Carplay on any version of iOS to date. Thus, it will not display on the head unit at all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Correct. Waze and Google maps work on CarPlay with iOS 12. Presumably there can be others as 3rd party maps are allowed now but the specific app would have to come with CarPlay functionality.
I use them all the time and prefer it to any factory navigation system
I prefer Waze. Has more features than the others (like alerting you to police ahead, and breakdowns ahead). You can also turn off the audio except for alerts which is a nice feature when you are traveling a familiar route. Here's how to set up Waze on CarPlay:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/24/how-to-use-waze-on-carplay/

·
Registered
646 Posts
From my experience (maybe from having a 6s?) the google maps is ridiculously slow on carplay when you want to search for something. It works fine once your destination is in but holy cow don't look for restaurants in it without disconnecting and using your phone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.