Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2019 Touring yesterday. I have CarPlay in one other car (a Volvo) so have some experience with it. In our Ascent, the voice navigation via CarPlay (from Apple Maps, Waze, etc.) is very loud. The voice nav audio seems to be output using a different speaker(s) than the stereo, unlike the Volvo. I have yet to find any way to set the volume of the CarPlay voice nav audio. I've searched for some information about this but have been unable to find anything. So if anyone has an idea about this, I'd sure appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,851 Posts
Same speakers, but some get muted when things like NAV voice comes into play. The volume setting is in the setup and audio sections. There are a bunch of different independent volume settings so one can equalize things across multiple sources. Your manual is your friend...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
With (I think) all CarPlay systems I've played with, you can adjust Siri's volume by adjusting the knob/steering wheel buttons while she is actively saying something. That voume setting should remain and is independent of the other volumes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With (I think) all CarPlay systems I've played with, you can adjust Siri's volume by adjusting the knob/steering wheel buttons while she is actively saying something. That voume setting should remain and is independent of the other volumes.
That was it, volume is set while Siri is active. All of the volume settings in the car's setup menu are for the car's nav/phone services, not CarPlay.

Thanks very much for the information.

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
Yes, you can set it via the wheel button while it's actively speaking but there is also a menu entry for it in the audio setup on the Ascent.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yes, you can set it via the wheel button while it's actively speaking but there is also a menu entry for it in the audio setup on the Ascent.
The volume controls in the head unit's Sound menu don't conrol Siri's voice volume. That is controlled from within the phone itself and not the head unit. Carplay is on its own island so to speak, but it does put out a line-level volume for media (which can be adjusted under "Entertainment Volume" in the head unit, which is the same as using the volume knob). The other menu volumes that seem to comntrol the phone are only for bluetooth - I'm 99% sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The volume controls in the head unit's Sound menu don't conrol Siri's voice volume. That is controlled from within the phone itself and not the head unit. Carplay is on its own island so to speak, but it does put out a line-level volume for media (which can be adjusted under "Entertainment Volume" in the head unit, which is the same as using the volume knob). The other menu volumes that seem to comntrol the phone are only for bluetooth - I'm 99% sure.
I agree. I tried ALL the volume in the car's settings, none of them affected Siri's volume.

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
I did not find this to be true for phone based navigation for sure...when my daughter inadvertently set it to zero in the vehicle and my phone was set to full volume. I didn't investigate Siri at the time and only started using it recently for messages, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's infuriating.

It should be a simple matter to adjust volume of CarPlay navigation relative to the Ascent's radio, but it does not work and there seems to be no way to find out how. Right now I just use my iPhone without any connection to the car stereo because I know that will work.

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
I had no problem adjusting the CarPlay volume for navigation in Settings on the Ascent.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
There's separate sound controls in the Ascent head unit settings for various sources, such as media or navigation, and they've worked for me (but I use Android).

Regardless, I find the easiest way is to adjust the volume using the stereo's knob during a navigation prompt. That adjusts Nav prompts but not media, when using supported apps. For instance, it works great with Android Auto and Google Maps, but not quite the same with Waze. I suspect it works for Carplay and Apple Maps, but no idea about Waze or Google Maps on Carplay. If it doesn't work right for a specific app, the problem is the app not choosing to tag the audio properly (eg: "I'm navigation audio"), and not the head unit, which relies on the data coming from the phone.

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
Robert, turning the knob during a prompt works fine for Google Maps in CarPlay. I can't comment on Wayz as I don't use it.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's infuriating.

It should be a simple matter to adjust volume of CarPlay navigation relative to the Ascent's radio, but it does not work and there seems to be no way to find out how. Right now I just use my iPhone without any connection to the car stereo because I know that will work.
Sometimes my volume works-sometimes I have to use iPhone. I kept seeing a little volume button with the slash through it. I just discovered if my destination is entered in and I swipe the middle right side of map...swipe to the left there above the arrival time...and it brings up a little menu and you can turn your speaker ON or UNMUTE from there. Once the speaker is not muted you can adjust the navigational volume with the volume buttons while the voice is active as others have described

1 - 13 of 13 Posts