Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Ascent Touring, using IPhone 8 Plus, both with latest updates, using a new Apple cord. Bought 3/1/19. Note, dealer replaced entire stereo unit 2 weeks after possession. Got 2019 Outback as loaner, ironically having same issues in stereo, new stereo in Ascent still having issues as well which makes me think it’s all the recent units!
Issues: sometimes upon connecting, sound appears to only come out of front left speaker on dash. Sometimes it will connect to CarPlay and display that on screen but radio is still playing (or other way around). Sometimes I get a completely black screen. Sometimes buttons are non-responsive. Always there is an apparent and random “scratch” to the sound (like listening to a record), seems to happen more when using Amazon music, less with ITunes.
Service dept is at a loss on what to do next.

·
Registered
590 Posts
2019 Ascent Touring, using IPhone 8 Plus, both with latest updates, using a new Apple cord. Bought 3/1/19. Note, dealer replaced entire stereo unit 2 weeks after possession. Got 2019 Outback as loaner, ironically having same issues in stereo, new stereo in Ascent still having issues as well which makes me think it’s all the recent units!
Issues: sometimes upon connecting, sound appears to only come out of front left speaker on dash. Sometimes it will connect to CarPlay and display that on screen but radio is still playing (or other way around). Sometimes I get a completely black screen. Sometimes buttons are non-responsive. Always there is an apparent and random “scratch” to the sound (like listening to a record), seems to happen more when using Amazon music, less with ITunes.
Mine first had a black screen at times and the navigation would go away, we took it in and they applied all the latest updates and such and that fixed it for a couple weeks. Now mine is randomly losing volume altogether. We took it to dealer yesterday evening and they kept it, they can duplicate it but waiting on Subaru to let them know how to fix it. They called this evening and still don’t have a resolution so they are keeping it until they can find a fix. Someone suggested it might be the amplifier but they don’t think that is causing mine they said. ?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The black screen happens sometimes and I don't know exactly why. It isn't Subaru specific. I believe it's an Apple issue. If you reboot your phone everything should come back. Unfortunatlely it will happen again at some point in the near or distant future (no way to predict). But just like a wonky computer, a reboot usually brings it back to proper operation.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The black screen happens sometimes and I don't know exactly why. It isn't Subaru specific. I believe it's an Apple issue. If you reboot your phone everything should come back. Unfortunatlely it will happen again at some point in the near or distant future (no way to predict). But just like a wonky computer, a reboot usually brings it back to proper operation.
It does it on mine when I don’t have car play active so I’m not sure what’s going on. They have had my car since Wednesday trying to fix it. Didn’t call today, and closed for the Holiday so I’m guessing I won’t have it back before Tues. or Wed. They told me yesterday they have contacted Subaru and are waiting for them to decide what to do. It’s not like super major, in my opinion, just annoying and I hate not having a radio to listen to. First world problems... haha!

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
Also check your lightning port for dust. Grab a wooden toothpick and dig any pocket lint or whatevers out of it. No matter how new the cable is, if the port is dirty it could malfunction. Mine had been disconnecting CarPlay every time my phone moved a bit. It was fixed as as soon as I removed the rabbit from inside the lightning port.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have to correct what I said a couple of posts up. A phone reboot will fix the black screen if Carplay is still partially working. But the completely black screen is a mystery to me. That actually does sound like a head unit issue, or the "handshake" between the phone and head unit could be causing some sort of crash as well.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have to correct what I said a couple of posts up. A phone reboot will fix the black screen if Carplay is still partially working. But the completely black screen is a mystery to me. That actually does sound like a head unit issue, or the "handshake" between the phone and head unit could be causing some sort of crash as well.
I could actually try and reboot but it didn’t work. They updated my software the first time I took it in but that was only like a temporary (1 week) fix. I could turn the car off take the fob away for about 10 min and still wouldn’t work, go grab the other key fob and start car and everything come back. I would use that key fob until it started again and they switch. It’s so odd. Now my screen don’t go black but the sound is just completely gone. I feel like it’s something really minor, or just needs some kind of software upgrade but guess we will wait and see. I will make sure to update when I get it back and tell you what they ended up doing for mine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lots of hardware failures with these systems. New hardware and manufacturers for 2020 (identical look). So hopefully once they get things ramped up on the new cars maybe they will start putting the new system in the problem cars.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Lots of hardware failures with these systems. New hardware and manufacturers for 2020 (identical look). So hopefully once they get things ramped up on the new cars maybe they will start putting the new system in the problem cars.
They did tell me they had replaced a lot of the units in the outbacks. It’s just strange how the updates totally fix some, others have never had an issue, and some are just causing issues. I will be anxious to see what Subaru decides to do with mine this time.

·
Registered
691 Posts
all carplay problems started for me with 18.38.50 update .... ( black screen , or will not connect at all )
after updating to 19.01.70 car play been working fine

·
Registered
590 Posts
all carplay problems started for me with 18.38.50 update .... ( black screen , or will not connect at all )
after updating to 19.01.70 car play been working fine
They called me today and replacing several parts told me should have my car ready. By Friday or early next week.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Front and rear speaker switching seems to be common issue in CarPlay. Mine does mostly after taking calls and while using amazon music. Found a bunch of hits on internet regarding this issue....looks like the audio stream on the phone - music, phone, nav and siri control the fader. sometimes this setting doesn't revert back to original.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CarPlay/comments/a6tcie

·
Registered
590 Posts
Apparently there is delays in getting the amplifier. They are keeping my Ascent however until they get it fixed. The only update the dealer has access to now is the 18.38.50 and that seems to be the update with these blackout/no volume issues. Harmon took the newer update off their page and went back to this older one for some reason. The dealer thought a new one was coming soon but still hasn’t. Today is day 10 without my car, hoping to get it back soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2019 Ascent Touring model as well and had the same issue. It started out with my preset radio station not being saved when the car would turn on. The. Gradually the back up camera would shut off intermittently and then on to the CarPlay not working. The Starlink app continuously loading. My dealership is suppose to replace the radio head unit (?). Apparently there have been issues with the head units.
Hopefully this solves both our problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts