Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those who may have advance info. Most carplay systems are just now starting to get the wireless capability from the factory. When we shopped the Atlas, they said that this MY is still wired and that we should expect the next MY to be wireless. Does anyone know what to expect from the Subaru here?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Highly doubt it as that is really new and I'm pretty sure some of the 2018 Subaru Models have Carplay and it isn't wireless.

It would be neat but I think it might be a few years before that becomes more standard over the USB connection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is news to me. You're telling me Carplay doesn't work over bluetooth?!?
That is what I'm telling you - it was a huge surprise to me when we test drove the Atlas. I know this is new technology but it is out - and the Ascent is brand new - so why wouldn't they include it?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Question for those who may have advance info. Most carplay systems are just now starting to get the wireless capability from the factory. When we shopped the Atlas, they said that this MY is still wired and that we should expect the next MY to be wireless. Does anyone know what to expect from the Subaru here?
The short answer is no. Carplay was designed to be a wired connection. However, I know that as of fall of last year, some luxury cars (BMW for sure) was integrating wireless into Apple CarPlay and more manufactures were following suit. Sooooo, maybe. If Subaru has, I would bet that the 2018 models would have it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Can I perform basic functions like take and receive calls through the car's speakers via bluetooth?

The models out now with the old style Subaru Nav/Audio, you can do hands free calling and read text all Bluetooth. I would definitely not expect them to go backwards in tech.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah - I agree that it may not be "mainstream" enough in time for Subaru to implement it here and I agree they wouldn't go backwards as far as bluetooth tech. You'll absolutely still be able to make and receive calls over bluetooth without being tethered. It appears VW may be on the forefront of the wireless tech as it is limited to them and BMW and some third party tech still based on that snippit.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Can I perform basic functions like take and receive calls through the car's speakers via bluetooth?
Yes, don't get Bluetooth and CarPlay confused, they are entirely different entities. Bluetooth will function just as it has in previous cars. Carplay essentially mirrors your car's display with your iPhone. Allowing access to apps like phone, msg, maps, music. Also keep in mind that if you are planning on using CarPlay, you don't really need the Navigation option in the Ascent, though using maps through your phone will use data on your phone plan.

I thought the original question of this post was if CarPlay will work through Bluetooth which I still say no, but maybe. Technology is defiantly getting there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It has been reported that BMW has plans to start charging for Apple CarPlay service in the future (maybe next year?) so if being wired means no additional fee I’m totally on board. Bad enough to pay for SXM and/or StarLink.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It has been reported that BMW has plans to start charging for Apple CarPlay service in the future (maybe next year?) so if being wired means no additional fee I’m totally on board. Bad enough to pay for SXM and/or StarLink.
I heard the same thing about BMW and I think that is ridiculous that they plan on charging for a service that should be free!

·
Administrator
7,831 Posts
It's wired and there's a USB outlet on the center console below the center dash to plug into.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wireless CarPlay

Just an interesting tidbit ... I read that BMW was toying with the idea of requiring a subscription for CarPlay to work. :tango_face_surprise

All of these "info" systems are getting so cluttered and complicated with a lot of non-working and/or dead-end features and it is hard to imagine paying extra "subscriptions" to get the features to work. After 5 years with my Toyota Rav4 I ended up using the FM radio, the Maps (until they became outdated) and the AUX port. Streaming using Toyota's apps never worked right so hooking through the AUX port was the only reliable option.

Wouldn't it be great if manufacturers would simply provide a blank spot where a person could install an aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just an interesting tidbit ... I read that BMW was toying with the idea of requiring a subscription for CarPlay to work. :tango_face_surprise

All of these "info" systems are getting so cluttered and complicated with a lot of non-working and/or dead-end features and it is hard to imagine paying extra "subscriptions" to get the features to work. After 5 years with my Toyota Rav4 I ended up using the FM radio, the Maps (until they became outdated) and the AUX port. Streaming using Toyota's apps never worked right so hooking through the AUX port was the only reliable option.

Wouldn't it be great if manufacturers would simply provide a blank spot where a person could install an aftermarket radio.
It doesn't help that Toyota's infotainment is dated (even by today's standards) and are just now barely considering/installing Android Auto / Car Play into their new models (19+?). I normally change out head units on the cars I get, this will be one of the few that I don't

·
Registered
51 Posts
It doesn't help that Toyota's infotainment is dated (even by today's standards) and are just now barely considering/installing Android Auto / Car Play into their new models (19+?). I normally change out head units on the cars I get, this will be one of the few that I don't
Toyota is only going halfway, they are implementing CarPlay on select models in 2019. They have stated they have no plans at this time to implement Android Auto and have cited "privacy concerns". The Highlander was on my short list of vehicles I looked at, but I just could not get past the antique infotainment system (which continues on the 2019 model).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts