Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Carplay Disconnects

Tags
carplay
40K views 83 replies 29 participants last post by  menz.brian 
#1 ·
I have a 2019 and running into Carplay issues. Carplay will connect and hold a connection for a few minutes and then disconnects. I am unable to get another connection until the next time I start the car. Here is what I have tried:
  • Multiple cables both Apple and third party
  • Multiple (4) different iPhones. All 4 work in our other car (Hyundai Elantra), all 4 run into the issue in the Ascent
  • Full factory reset of the head unit
  • Have tried all above in both USB ports
  • Removed car from Carplay and let it recreate it
  • Set Allow Access When Locked to USB Accessories

I have opened the maintenance screen (pressing home and scroll 6 times). I noticed the USB ports always show as 1 - NG and 2 - On, regardless of whether or not I have the phone plugged into either port. I have tried researching more about the maintenance screen, but cannot find much.

I have taken the car into the dealership and was greeted with "Well Subaru infotainment centers suck and there is not much they can do about it until Subaru fixes the issue". They claim they did some tests, but since it connects for a bit, they do not deem it an issue. I also reached out to Subaru through their website, but have not been able to get a response.

My question is, has anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions on next steps?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 2019 and running into Carplay issues. Carplay will connect and hold a connection for a few minutes and then disconnects. I am unable to get another connection until the next time I start the car. Here is what I have tried:
  • Multiple (4) different iPhones. All 4 work in our other car (Hyundai Elantra), all 4 run into the issue in the Ascent
I have opened the maintenance screen (pressing home and scroll 6 times). I noticed the USB ports always show as 1 - NG and 2 - On, regardless of whether or not I have the phone plugged into either port. I have tried researching more about the maintenance screen, but cannot find much.

I have taken the car into the dealership and was greeted with "Well Subaru infotainment centers suck and there is not much they can do about it until Subaru fixes the issue". They claim they did some tests, but since it connects for a bit, they do not deem it an issue. I also reached out to Subaru through their website, but have not been able to get a response.

My question is, has anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions on next steps?
Your list of things tried didn't mention updating the infotainment system software, do you know if it's at the current release level or has ever been updated?

I'm not a Carplay user but I know some problems were fixed in recent software updates so that's why I'm asking.

#6 ·
When I have Apple Carplay Issues; usually something on your list fixes it. Great list by the way! Disconnecting that often and repeatable is not just a "that's the way it is" problem. I would say you have thoroughly tested it and there may be a problem with in the head unit or the wring to the USB ports.

#7 ·
I have not had this issue since I updated the firmware a couple of months ago. I did have it occur very occasionally prior to that. iPhone XS-Max on latest iOS, too.

Reactions: Menthol
#8 ·
Do you have the Subaru Starlink app installed on the iPhones?

Until the most recent update of that app, I noticed times where Starlink and CarPlay seemed to fight for control of the head unit. I'm currently running v 2.3.2 of the Starlink app on an iPhone XS Max with iOS 13.3 and things have been working very smoothly for the past several weeks.

#9 ·
I had removed the Starlink app from my phone as I wasn't using it and wanted to remove the possibility it was the issue.
I did finally hear from Subaru at the end of day yesterday. They are reaching out to the dealer to work out next steps. If anyone has any other ideas, please share. Otherwise, I will make sure to update this conversation if I ever get it working.

#12 ·
I have this exact issue on my 2019 Ascent. Not only have I gone through and done everything you did, Subaru replaced my radio two weeks ago and it happened as soon as I left the lot. We have tried two different iPhones and have the issue. I've bought new Apple cords and nothing. I've even gone to Apple and they recommend I completely reset my phone from scratch without using backup and did this. My phone is up to date and the car infotainment is up to date. I also removed Starlink app from phone since I don't use it. Nothing has worked. It's very frustrating because I travel for work and hate that I cannot see my maps on the screen. It's odd because the phone will stay charged and I can use Bluetooth in the car, even though Carplay disconnects completely and it usually happen within 2-5 minutes of driving. I don't know what to do next, but completely at a loss and very frustrated.

#15 ·
Also, no VPN on my phone.

I reached out to Apple yesterday and today they escalated it. They have setup some diagnostics on my phone to help trace what is happening when the disconnect happens. I will be submitting the results to their software engineers this evening. I will update once I hear back. It will be nice to know if it is an Apple or Subaru issue.

#17 ·
You are not alone. I have the same exact issue you describe, also disconnecting within the 5-7 minute range.

I also haven't been able to find a magic fix... I have tried several different attempts to get it working but without any luck yet.

So, I'm following to see if you have any success. I'll also post if I can find something that corrects the problem.

#19 ·
Ironically, Android Auto introduced a bug that does just that, which is slated to be fixed real soon, whatever real soon means.

#20 ·
I have just received word back from Apple. They were able to confirm through the diagnostics that it is indeed a bug in IOS. They said they are aware of it, but at this time, do not have any ideas on how to fix it. They have asked me to keep trying different tests and to let them know if I have any luck. I have discovered that if you re-boot the phone 2 times, it will connect and stay connected until you shut off the car. Not ideal, but will work for long trips.

#23 ·
Google is working on two major bugs, including one that entirely kills audio in 5-7 minutes.

Ah well. They both have their work cut out for them.

#25 ·
I have an iPhone 6s with ios 13.3.1 and I have not had any connectivity issues with CarPlay. It has been widely reported that connectivity issues were introduced with ios 13. The issue I have is that you cannot customize the widgets on the CarPlay dashboard.

#26 ·
I have an iPhone 6s with ios 13.3.1 .... The issue I have is that you cannot customize the widgets on the CarPlay dashboard.
Mines an 11pro in same iOS. No issues either. I wonder if it had to do with the carrier?
good news on the widgets. Rumors point to iOS 13.4 at least supporting different maps on the widget screen. If not 13.4 then maybe soon anyway. Im looking forward to using waze and music at the same time

#29 ·

I have a 2019 Premier in Canada (Touring trim in the USA), which I bought in January 2019 and had the same and identical issues. We tried exactly the same measures, which included:

• tried different phones. My iPhone XS at the time, the wife’s iPhone X at the time and two brand new iPhones 11 Pros lately.
  • tried different cables, including Apple OEM cables straight out of the box
  • tried setting up the phone as new without restoring any old data, to try to eliminate the software issue on the phone side
  • during the last year the dealership tried multiple times Reprogram the car unit, update the car unit software and even something they called a ”hard software reset” (whatever that means)

the disconnecting issue never changed

So in January it was the first time I actually visited the dealership exclusively to deal with this and upon their suggestion they replaced the radio unit For a brand new one. No success.

then todayI went back and they replaced the USB Hub. That square piece with the 2 USB sockets on the dash. IT FINALLY WORKED!!!!

I drove the whole day without a single disconnection. Apparently that small piece of hardware that was replaced in a matter of minutes was the culprit.

Kudos to Downtown Subaru here in Toronto.
I hope this info can help

#31 ·
Yep!!
Yes it was. I'm using CarPlay every single day and I haven't experienced a single disconnect ever since they replace the USB hub.

Prior to that the dealer tried everything else they could think of, including replacing the infotainment head unit, but never solved the random disconnections.

Now I'm a happy camper!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.