Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Google is working on two major bugs, including one that entirely kills audio in 5-7 minutes.

Ah well. They both have their work cut out for them.

·
Super Moderator
2,141 Posts
I currently have an 11 pro max. I have tried 3 different 8s and an X. They all do the same thing.
You’d think if it was an iOS issue then we would all have it. 13.4 is supposed to be out in March. Hopefully it’ll help

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have an iPhone 6s with ios 13.3.1 and I have not had any connectivity issues with CarPlay. It has been widely reported that connectivity issues were introduced with ios 13. The issue I have is that you cannot customize the widgets on the CarPlay dashboard.

·
Super Moderator
2,141 Posts
I have an iPhone 6s with ios 13.3.1 .... The issue I have is that you cannot customize the widgets on the CarPlay dashboard.
Mines an 11pro in same iOS. No issues either. I wonder if it had to do with the carrier?
good news on the widgets. Rumors point to iOS 13.4 at least supporting different maps on the widget screen. If not 13.4 then maybe soon anyway. Im looking forward to using waze and music at the same time

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have just received word back from Apple. They were able to confirm through the diagnostics that it is indeed a bug in IOS. They said they are aware of it, but at this time, do not have any ideas on how to fix it. They have asked me to keep trying different tests and to let them know if I have any luck. I have discovered that if you re-boot the phone 2 times, it will connect and stay connected until you shut off the car. Not ideal, but will work for long trips.
Thanks for the update. I tried what you mentioned but my phone still disconnects. We tried my husband's Samsung phone and it turns out his phone does the same thing (disconnects after 5 or so minutes). So maybe it's an issue with both Apple/Samsung softwares and the car software.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Thanks for the update. I tried what you mentioned but my phone still disconnects. We tried my husband's Samsung phone and it turns out his phone does the same thing (disconnects after 5 or so minutes). So maybe it's an issue with both Apple/Samsung softwares and the car software.
If you have disconnect problems with both apple and android it sounds like it could be the cable between the USB port that you plug into and the radio head unit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2019 and running into Carplay issues. Carplay will connect and hold a connection for a few minutes and then disconnects. I am unable to get another connection until the next time I start the car. Here is what I have tried:
  • Multiple cables both Apple and third party
  • Multiple (4) different iPhones. All 4 work in our other car (Hyundai Elantra), all 4 run into the issue in the Ascent
  • Full factory reset of the head unit
  • Have tried all above in both USB ports
  • Removed car from Carplay and let it recreate it
  • Set Allow Access When Locked to USB Accessories
I have opened the maintenance screen (pressing home and scroll 6 times). I noticed the USB ports always show as 1 - NG and 2 - On, regardless of whether or not I have the phone plugged into either port. I have tried researching more about the maintenance screen, but cannot find much.

I have taken the car into the dealership and was greeted with "Well Subaru infotainment centers suck and there is not much they can do about it until Subaru fixes the issue". They claim they did some tests, but since it connects for a bit, they do not deem it an issue. I also reached out to Subaru through their website, but have not been able to get a response.

My question is, has anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions on next steps?
I have a 2019 Premier in Canada (Touring trim in the USA), which I bought in January 2019 and had the same and identical issues. We tried exactly the same measures, which included:

• tried different phones. My iPhone XS at the time, the wife’s iPhone X at the time and two brand new iPhones 11 Pros lately.
  • tried different cables, including Apple OEM cables straight out of the box
  • tried setting up the phone as new without restoring any old data, to try to eliminate the software issue on the phone side
  • during the last year the dealership tried multiple times Reprogram the car unit, update the car unit software and even something they called a ”hard software reset” (whatever that means)

the disconnecting issue never changed

So in January it was the first time I actually visited the dealership exclusively to deal with this and upon their suggestion they replaced the radio unit For a brand new one. No success.

then todayI went back and they replaced the USB Hub. That square piece with the 2 USB sockets on the dash. IT FINALLY WORKED!!!!

I drove the whole day without a single disconnection. Apparently that small piece of hardware that was replaced in a matter of minutes was the culprit.

Kudos to Downtown Subaru here in Toronto.
I hope this info can help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Bruno,

Just checking in to see if your disconnection issues are still resolved after the USB hub replacement. I have an appointment tomorrow with the dealer and would like to reference your fix.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bruno,

Just checking in to see if your disconnection issues are still resolved after the USB hub replacement. I have an appointment tomorrow with the dealer and would like to reference your fix.
Yep!!
Yes it was. I'm using CarPlay every single day and I haven't experienced a single disconnect ever since they replace the USB hub.

Prior to that the dealer tried everything else they could think of, including replacing the infotainment head unit, but never solved the random disconnections.

Now I'm a happy camper!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My local dealer was finally able to get the USB Hub replaced this morning. I have driven the vehicle multiple times now and success, no disconnects.

Thanks so much Bruno for sharing your solution. Hopefully this thread will be valuable to future owners who experience the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a new Ascent, after Subaru replaced my year-old one. I'm reading this and shaking my head. I was just about to sign up for Apple music and start using carplay for the first time ever, but now I'm afraid!

I went through much of the same, regarding the 'solutions' that didn't work. The service manager was convinced that it was my iphone (X.)

I just sent a link to this page, to the service manager at my local dealership.

Thanks so much for this post!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a new Ascent, after Subaru replaced my year-old one. I'm reading this and shaking my head. I was just about to sign up for Apple music and start using carplay for the first time ever, but now I'm afraid!

I went through much of the same, regarding the 'solutions' that didn't work. The service manager was convinced that it was my iphone (X.)

After I got the USB hub replaced I use Apple CarPlay every time I drive and never had a disconnection (multiple knocks on every piece on wood I can reach now). I use it simultaneously with Waze or google maps and Apple Music for downloaded and streaming music.
If they can get yours working, I’d suggest you give a try on the Apple Music. It works great and has basically and infinite music library

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,088 Posts

On the other hand....so many of us have never had the issue...

·
Super Moderator
2,141 Posts
On the other hand....so many of us have never had the issue...
truth. if theres something wrong with your head unit then hopefully the dealership can troubleshoot and replace/repair it. head unit issues have been very limited from what i've seen here so far. Usually the problem is in the cable or phone.
apple music with carplay has been amazing and one of the reasons I bought the ascent. the steering wheel siri button literally gives access to nearly any imaginable song without taking your eyes off the road, at the same time as providing arguably better-than-factory navigation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We just finished a 2200 mile trip in our 2019 Ascent using Waze for navigation on CarPlay. We found that when our iPhone 6S was plugged into the top USB, it would disconnect after a time (5 - 7 minutes seems short). We moved the connection to the bottom USB port and did not have a problem. Moved it back to the top USB port and the problem returned. Next time we go to the dealer, we will ask them to change the top USB port.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same issue with my 2020 outback. I’m thinking it is a voltage or data issue between the USB port and the connection on the phone. I can sometimes fix mine or get the connection error just by moving the cord where it connects to the phone. It’s almost like the Subaru USB port isn’t putting out enough power to establish a continuous connection or the other way around, where the power isn’t high enough for the phone to recognize that it is plugged in. I’d love to get this figured out. I’ve used the same phone in dozens of rental cars with no problems.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
I have had the same issue with my 2020 outback. I’m thinking it is a voltage or data issue between the USB port and the connection on the phone. I can sometimes fix mine or get the connection error just by moving the cord where it connects to the phone. It’s almost like the Subaru USB port isn’t putting out enough power to establish a continuous connection or the other way around, where the power isn’t high enough for the phone to recognize that it is plugged in. I’d love to get this figured out. I’ve used the same phone in dozens of rental cars with no problems.
Alas, could be the USB hub, or the software, or the phone and head units... though probably not head unit related. They're very different head units from totally different manufacturers.

·
Super Moderator
2,141 Posts
Slight change of course, but since the first troubleshooting step is usually update everything...

Has anyone updated to iOS 14 beta? I’m curious if there are any issues with CarPlay mostly. I’m running iOS 13.5 jailbroken right now so I’m debating whether or not to give up my jailbreak.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts