Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm configuring my radio setup on my new Ascent today.

I created one profile for myself, and got my Android Galaxy S8 hooked up no problem, bluetooth is good, Android Auto is good. Me happy.

I created another profile for my wife, and got her Iphone hooked up no problem, bluetooth is good, Apple Carplay is good. Again, happy.

The problem is, if BOTH of us are plugged in to the front USB ports, for some reason, Android Auto gets disconnected, and Apple Carplay immediately takes over. This won't be a problem on short trips where my wife doesn't need to charge, or on long trips if she's not with me... but on long trips together, I prefer to be running Android Auto off my phone.

Has anyone else experienced this? Surely someone else is in a mixed Android/IOS household like me, right? I'm hoping its a configuration issue someplace.

I know that there are workarounds (IE have her use a USB port from the 2nd row, or use the cigarette lighter adapter, etc)... but I'm thinking there has to be a way to make this work.

Thanks.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wonder if folks are having problems with two androids plugged in as well? Which one takes control and which takes...ahhh….the back seat?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had two androids plugged in to front row USB's at the same time, one was connected via bluetooth, the other not. I constantly had Android Auto connection problems until I plugged hers into the second row USB. It then worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey all,

I'm configuring my radio setup on my new Ascent today.

I created one profile for myself, and got my Android Galaxy S8 hooked up no problem, bluetooth is good, Android Auto is good. Me happy.

I created another profile for my wife, and got her Iphone hooked up no problem, bluetooth is good, Apple Carplay is good. Again, happy.

The problem is, if BOTH of us are plugged in to the front USB ports, for some reason, Android Auto gets disconnected, and Apple Carplay immediately takes over. This won't be a problem on short trips where my wife doesn't need to charge, or on long trips if she's not with me... but on long trips together, I prefer to be running Android Auto off my phone.

Has anyone else experienced this? Surely someone else is in a mixed Android/IOS household like me, right? I'm hoping its a configuration issue someplace.

I know that there are workarounds (IE have her use a USB port from the 2nd row, or use the cigarette lighter adapter, etc)... but I'm thinking there has to be a way to make this work.

Thanks.
Have you tried switching the usb input to see if the top or bottom one takes preference?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried switching the usb input to see if the top or bottom one takes preference?
I did. There was no rhyme or reason to anything. No matter what I did, Carplay took over.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's seems like this is an issue that should have been anticipated and addressed. In fact, maybe it was and we just don't know the solution yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was told that the 2nd row usb charges faster than the 1st row and that I have to use the first row usb for Apple Carplay. Does that sound correct?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's seems like this is an issue that should have been anticipated and addressed. In fact, maybe it was and we just don't know the solution yet?
I dont know the solution. Hence this post. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told that the 2nd row usb charges faster than the 1st row and that I have to use the first row usb for Apple Carplay. Does that sound correct?
I believe all the USB ports are 2.1 amps so they will all charge at the same rate.

General consensus is that phones need to be plugged into the front console for Android Auto/Apple Carplay to work. I dont think the 2nd (or 3rd, if you have them) row ports are wired into the radio.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The only reason they will charge your phone faster in the second row is because they aren't running AA or Carplay at the same time.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have a 9 volt plug that I use for my wife's phone while mine is plugged into the car for Android Auto. I only did this figuring that the standalone plug is a fast charger and would charge the phones more quickly.

I have both an Android and an iPhone and I'll test it out later today and get back to you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did. There was no rhyme or reason to anything. No matter what I did, Carplay took over.
Noticed the same thing. I have an Android phone and my wife has an iPhone. When using the front USB plugs Carplay would take over regardless of which phone we plug in first or which USB port they're plugged into. Ended up putting a USB adapter into the 12 Volt outlet and having her use that to charge when we're both in the car.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone know if there is a way to contact Subaru to report this? I wonder if this is something that could be fixed with a software update?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's going to be an Apple problem, and no, they don't care.
What leads you to believe it is an Apple problem?

I would think it is the way that Subaru's radio interacts with Android Auto and Apple Carplay simultaneously.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I contacted Subaru yesterday and got the following response. Looks like this is by design and nothing they will do anything about. Bummer.

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to contact us.

I’m happy to offer assistance to you. Apple Car-Play needs to be tethered to the audio unit of your Ascent in order to operate, as you know. Apple Car-Play is designed to take precedence over other tethered devices, should multiple be connected via USB. We recommend not connecting your Apple I-Phone to your Ascent, if you wish to utilize Android Auto. I truly apologize for this information, as I know it wasn’t what you were hoping for. Your message has been documented in our Customer/Retailer Services database. We document such information to continually track, review and consider the performance of Subaru products and services, always with the intentions of improving as an organization.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just like macbook owners, even the iphones are overbearing.

All kidding aside, sounds like there isn't much of a work around besides using one of the other usb ports.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Question for you guys

Is AA designed to disconnect when you have Sirius XM visible on the headunit? When I have AA visible on the screen I get messages from WhatsApp or FB Messenger. Once I put Sirius on the 8 inch screen I no longer get notifications.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Question for you guys

Is AA designed to disconnect when you have Sirius XM visible on the headunit? When I have AA visible on the screen I get messages from WhatsApp or FB Messenger. Once I put Sirius on the 8 inch screen I no longer get notifications.
Yes, the radio's built in stuff can be on the screen *or* AA/Carplay. They're separate systems. In AA/CarPlay mode, the phone is driving the display and sending the notifications and handling touch input. Outside of that mode, the head unit is.

You can have SiriusXM playing while using AA though. And you can flip through presets using the <> buttons on the car (such as the ones on the steering wheel).

Also, AA will keep on doing its thing if you switch away from it to change stations or even to change head unit settings. Simply switch back to it by hitting the AA button on the Home Screen.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts