Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for sharing your wisdom here. We have a 2020 Ascent. My family and I are taking a “gap year” from work here in NY and traveling out west. Mainly staying With family in Arizona but also renting houses in a few different places before driving back home next summer. We want to buy a cargo trailer to lug our stuff out there.
I’m thinking 4x6 or 5x8. I’m wondering if anyone has tips on specific types of cargo trailers we should be looking at. Also, what type of hitch do we need? Any info is great appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I think most people on this forum will recommend the Subaru OEM hitch, but there are other aftermarket options out there. Having said that, if I were going to tow a trailer that took advantage of the Ascent's max towing capacity, and I'm assuming you have at least a Premium with the 5,000 lb tow limit, than I would go with the Subaru hitch. However, if you're only concerned with pulling a small cargo trailer, let's say under 2,000 lbs, then it's less of an issue. Your question will no doubt generate many responses beyond mine.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Even on a small enclosed trailer aerodynamics can really add up and kill gas mileage. I would try to get one with a V front or one with the aerodynamic bubble.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
Even on a small enclosed trailer aerodynamics can really add up and kill gas mileage. I would try to get one with a V front or one with the aerodynamic bubble.
This is good advice..."square" cargo trailers are fine for local hauling, such as for the trades, but for long distance travel, you want something with more aerodynamics. I'll also suggest that wider and shorter is better than taller. The small UHaul trailer I used last summer to bring things north from Florida when I cleaned out my mother's apartment was no taller than my Ascent and I managed 23.6 mpg over the 1000 miles at 65 mph.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
@Jesse Yarbrough please let us know what cargo trailer you end up getting. I’m interested in getting one soon to tote around 5 kids and camping gear. Camping gear will probably go in the trailer and kids in the Ascent, depending on their behavior 😂

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Of course you know what you plan on taking along on this trip, but 4x6 is mighty tiny. I suggest erring on the side of larger and 5x8 would be a significant increase in capability...i.e. what you can reasonably fit in and then access once loaded. Both have pretty a small frontal area and largely hide in the slipstream of the Ascent so I don't think the larger trailer would have much of a penalty in gas mileage over the smaller trailer.

FWIW: Certainly too big for your purposes, but we have a 6x12 enclosed trailer and it has come in very handly over the years, even towing it accross the country a few times (pre Ascent).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
You may want to consider electric brakes even on a small trailer. It will make stopping easier and your Ascent brakes last longer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for sharing your wisdom here. We have a 2020 Ascent. My family and I are taking a “gap year” from work here in NY and traveling out west. Mainly staying With family in Arizona but also renting houses in a few different places before driving back home next summer. We want to buy a cargo trailer to lug our stuff out there.
I’m thinking 4x6 or 5x8. I’m wondering if anyone has tips on specific types of cargo trailers we should be looking at. Also, what type of hitch do we need? Any info is great appreciated.
Hi, what did you get? I am in almost exactly the same situation as you (even the family in Arizona part). Thinking of getting a 4x6 or 5x8. Not sure if a low profile one will be easier to handle. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,126 Posts
Hi, what did you get? I am in almost exactly the same situation as you (even the family in Arizona part). Thinking of getting a 4x6 or 5x8. Not sure if a low profile one will be easier to handle. Thanks!
For a long distance haul, be sure to upgrade the tires that the trailer has factory equipped. Also, make sure that the wheel bearings are well lubed. Many utility trailers seem to be built for short trips and you want everything to be high quality for long runs at highway speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.