Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an Outback and am currently waiting for an Ascent. We travel with our dogs and squeeze 3 metal crates into the car. I went to dealer to take a look at space, but seem to have the wrong measurement for the clearance for the opening of the hatch from top to bottom. I need at least 40 inches width at the narrowest opening in the back and at least 27 inches from top to bottom to fit the crates in.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Rear gate opening width at floor: 47.0 in. Maximum: 47.2 in.

Cargo width between wheel housings: 45.9 in.

Cargo area height 33.9 in. (with moonroof: 33.6)

Cargo liftover height 32.0 in (distance from ground to cargo area)
Maybe 1 more measurement:) ?...from the back of the front seat (2nd & 3rd rows down) to the inside of the closed tailgate?:nerd:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cargo area height 33.9 is the opening of the tailgate? What is the narrowest opening of the tailgate? I know that the length from the back of the front seat to the inside of closed tailgate is good.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I own an Outback and am currently waiting for an Ascent. We travel with our dogs and squeeze 3 metal crates into the car. I went to dealer to take a look at space, but seem to have the wrong measurement for the clearance for the opening of the hatch from top to bottom. I need at least 40 inches width at the narrowest opening in the back and at least 27 inches from top to bottom to fit the crates in.

Joe Spitz to the rescue

2019 Subaru Ascent 7 passenger research webpage

·
Registered
30 Posts
In case future prospective buyers are dog people and want a LOT more information regarding use of the Ascent as a dogmobile, I highly recommend this Facebook group: Dog Sport Vehicle Ideas & Setup: https://m.facebook.com/groups/67449...ODU5MTQ3MDksMCwwOjIwOkt3PT0=&multi_permalinks

So much great information, measurements, and photos relating to how well specific crates fit and can be secured in a wide range of vehicles, including the Ascent. I found it extremely useful in making my decision to purchase this vehicle.

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
Tire Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wheel

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Grey Floor

Plant Automotive tire Rectangle Road surface Bumper

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.