Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy the Subaru Cargo Net online and it came up with this below WARNING! Could this be a mistake? What part/component of a cargo net could cause cancer. If so, SOA is being transparent which I appreciate. How concerning could 2 x+#@&= be? Trying to decide if I should proceed with purchase? Any suggested alternatives?

Part Number: F551SXC000
Prop 65WARNING - This product can expose you to chemicals including, 2-Mercaptobenzothiazole, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

·
Registered
313 Posts
But slightly more serious, it is a rubber vulcanization aide that improves the end product, so it is likely in the bungee rubber which is shrouded by fabric which I think would isolate it a bit.

WHO IARC has it as a class 2a carcinogen, "probably carcinogenic to humans", which includes lots of chemicals and mixtures but also red meat and hot beverages. So this is why California has the warning.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think dihydrogen monoxide probably makes the list in California, it's very nasty stuff, colourless, odourless, and too much of it can kill you!
Not to mention it is found in nearly every home even though it's used for nuclear power production and in gaseous form it is capable of melting skin right off. Super dangerous stuff.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought my cargo net on Amazon for less than $10. I can't see the difference between it and the $85 one from the dealer. Maybe mine doesn't cause cancer???:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use the cargo net that came off of the Pathfinder my ex-wife owned 15 years ago. Still works great and fits the Ascent (and both Crosstreks before it) perfectly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts