Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aren't we all frustrated by the really dark cargo area of our Ascent at night with the "misplaced" OEM cargo light of the left panel sheds NO LIGHT to that area?
Well, I recently found these LED lights on Amazon that could be used for the cargo area of my wife's 2019 Ascent Touring: it works perfectly, is installed in less that 1 minute and is a cheap solution to our frustrating issue. Just peel the 3M tape backing on the back of the LED light strip and stick it to the center of the top plastic moulding of the gate. And voilà!
Note: These battery-operated lights are sold in a set of 3 so I bought 2 sets of 3 lights and besides my Ascent, I installed one in my daughter's 2020 Impreza Sports, the 3rd light in my son's 2020 Impreza Sports, the 4th one in my 2017 BRZ YellowSeries, the 5th one in my gun safe (!) and the 6th and last one in my daughter's BR closet.
Also, the lights are "motion-sensor" in the dark, and auto shuts off after 15 secs (without motion).

I apologize for the bad pics.

M
20210607_212043[1].jpg
20210607_210258[1].jpg
20210607_210332[1].jpg
20210607_210401[1].jpg
20210607_210417[1].jpg
20210607_210540[1].jpg

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
766 Posts
Nice! I've been thinking about trying that for a while but haven't done it. Thought I'd get the rechargable one and plug it into the 3rd row USB port. Is was looking at one that is motion activated and hoping that opening the rear hatch would turn it on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slick so they turn off and on automatically??
Yes, they work great. The 4 AAA batteries can be easily replaced by removing the light from the light's magnetic base that is adhered to the cargo gate frame by 3M tape. Also, the set of 3 includes 12 AAA alkaline batteries! IMO, just an incredible deal. And multi-purpose lights. No drilling, no wiring, no harness! Win-win-win..

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nice simple solution ,I recommend some lithium batteries for the future .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is my response to DJRussell's question: to be honest, I don't know since my wife drives the Ascent and she had not mentioned that issue. But then again, she rarely drives at night. I will test it tonight and will come back and let you all know.
I may have to reposition the light away from any possible detection of motion in the cabin and place it on the side panel where the OEM cargo light is, and may be even add a 2nd LED light (of the set of 3) on the opposite side as well).
PS: That's a good question which I never thought of.

Reactions: djrussell

·
Registered
720 Posts
This is my response to DJRussell's question: to be honest, I don't know since my wife drives the Ascent and she had not mentioned that issue. But then again, she rarely drives at night. I will test it tonight and will come back and let you all know.
I may have to reposition the light away from any possible detection of motion in the cabin and place it on the side panel where the OEM cargo light is, and may be even add a 2nd LED light (of the set of 3) on the opposite side as well).
PS: That's a good question which I never thought of.
Just noticed on the link the batteries are rechargeable,my bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
OK, tonight after it got dark, I tested the LED light that I originally installed at the center of the top plastic moulding of the gate opening: I sat in the 3rd row seat and sure enough the motion of my getting into the seat turned the light.on. I never thought of that until DJRussell raised the issue of the light possibly turning on automatically while driving. In fact, according to my tests, it did not turn on either while I drove or when I got on the 2nd row. It also did not turn on when I approached the rear of the Ascent and standing outside by the rear gate. Only when I opened it that the light turned on. But sitting on the 3rd row is a dfefinite no-no.

So I repositioned the light and moved it to the lower part of the right panel in the cargo area. See pictures below. This time, no matter how I moved while sitting on the 3rd row, the light stayed off. Only when I reach down into the cargo area that I triggered the light to turn on.

In conclusion, do NOT install these lights as I originally did (see pictures in original post), that is unless you never use the 3rd row. Instead, I suggest that you install this motion-sensor light on the lower part of the right cargo panel (as shown in my pics). If you want more light, install a 2nd light above the OEM cargo light on the left panel. .

I'm sorry for not checking this out 1st. Just like many of us, we don't use the 3rd row (hardly ever).

20210607_210313[1].jpg 20210609_205641[1].jpg 20210609_205711[1].jpg 20210609_205756[1].jpg

Reactions: javidmajid

·
Registered
339 Posts
That's still a big improvement. Nice work. :)
The Ascent being the family car, I use the 3rd row 95% of the time. The high-mounted light would not work for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can have both
there are three in the kit from Amazon
Put one metal plate top middle
Another on the side as above
Move when needed

my kit of 3 coming from Amazon tomorrow

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Columnshift, exactly. And for a set of 3 lights (+ batteries), you can't beat the price. I'm glad you're getting it.
BTW, the light works great for my BRZ's regular trunk and the Imprezas' covered cargo area.

·
Registered
87 Posts
just got them put batteries in light comes on then nothing won't work
is there a switch or activation method??
all three after batteries placed light up then go off then nothing won't respond hmmmm

return and try again???

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
766 Posts
OK, tonight after it got dark, I tested the LED light that I originally installed at the center of the top plastic moulding of the gate opening: I sat in the 3rd row seat and sure enough the motion of my getting into the seat turned the light.on. I never thought of that until DJRussell raised the issue of the light possibly turning on automatically while driving. In fact, according to my tests, it did not turn on either while I drove or when I got on the 2nd row. It also did not turn on when I approached the rear of the Ascent and standing outside by the rear gate. Only when I opened it that the light turned on. But sitting on the 3rd row is a dfefinite no-no.

So I repositioned the light and moved it to the lower part of the right panel in the cargo area. See pictures below. This time, no matter how I moved while sitting on the 3rd row, the light stayed off. Only when I reach down into the cargo area that I triggered the light to turn on.

In conclusion, do NOT install these lights as I originally did (see pictures in original post), that is unless you never use the 3rd row. Instead, I suggest that you install this motion-sensor light on the lower part of the right cargo panel (as shown in my pics). If you want more light, install a 2nd light above the OEM cargo light on the left panel. .

I'm sorry for not checking this out 1st. Just like many of us, we don't use the 3rd row (hardly ever).

View attachment 12575 View attachment 12576 View attachment 12577 View attachment 12578

Couldn't you put some gaffer tape over the side of the sensor that faces forward?

Reactions: djrussell
1 - 20 of 23 Posts