Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this new design for the cargo cover, there is noise and vibration as the piece “collapses” on each side (not a single piece). It does not “hold” tight enough to prevent the vibration and subsequent noise.

Is anyone hearing this? -Tim

·
Registered
357 Posts
We had it happen with our outback, that is why I usually take them out and don't put them back in till I trade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, the cargo cover makes annoying squeaking noise when its installed. I believe this is from the bar (collapse-able end) due the vibration from the moving vehicle. I have a 2020 Subaru Ascent Touring.
Was planning to take it to the dealership for a solution :) .

·
Registered
940 Posts
Fully retracting and re-deploying the cover seems to stop the noise for a while: wonder what will happen as the spring(s) wear(s).....

Shimming one end or the other (I used stacked duct-tape) also cured the noise for a while.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
841 Posts
I just got a 2020 Ascent. The bar slips out whenever I pull the cover out. Maybe a solution is to put rubber pads on both ends.
Hi and welcome! Your cargo cover should stay put if it is installed correctly, check to make sure that both of the extendable ends are released. If only 1 end is released it will fit loosely and fall out, also it will be off center so it's easy to see if this is the problem.

Then, push both ends firmly into the recesses, the springs aren't strong enough to get it fully engaged by themselves.

Mine is used daily and has been in place for at least the last 10,000 miles without any problems.

Hope this fixes your problem.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,236 Posts
^^^
I don't have one in the Ascent but the Forester's are spring loaded on each end.
This is pretty much how any cargo cover I've had contact with works over the years. If it's snapped into place, it's usually pretty hard to displace!

That said...mine is in storage. I haul too much stuff to keep it in the vehicle. Our MY16 Outback has it installed (but rarely used) and our new MY20 Forester Limited also has it installed but not unfurled...

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
136 Posts
I dont have the squeaking noise, but rather a drum type noise... when its fully extended and covering the 3rd row. Anyone else?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts