Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone measured the floor space in the cargo area? How far from the edge of the trunk to the back of the third row, and to the back of the second row?

I have a 2011 Outback and loaded up this weekend with my dog and 2 kids in carseats and it was tight. Wondering how much more space the Ascent could give me. I know the cargo area numbers but wondering how much of that is in height and not width/length, which is more useful. According to cars101 the Outback has a width of 40"-44" and a length of 40", with 34.3cf of cargo space.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone with the same question who doesn't feel like watching the video..It's 20"d x 44" wide with the third row up.

And 83" or something to the front seats. But oddly they don't give the depth to the back of the second row.

Will check the Facebook link when I get home, my company doesn’t allow facebook at work.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Anyone with the same question who doesn't feel like watching the video..It's 20"d x 44" wide with the third row up.

And 83" or something to the front seats. But oddly they don't give the depth to the back of the second row.

Will check the Facebook link when I get home, my company doesn’t allow facebook at work.

I've downloaded all the images from Facebook and uploaded them here. The FB image links eventually/erratically expire, otherwise I'd link them all. I can't easily caption them this way, sadly.

Let me know if any of them don't make sense or need clarification. NOTE that there's two different measurements for 2nd and 3rd row down. One to the edge of the covered part of the seat, and one all the way to the first row (with the first row in mid position, front to back).

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! It was the 45.5” measurement I was looking for. So will get a few inches in width and 5 inches in depth, which is great!

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
From the photos above it seems that cup holders in the 3rd row bring the width measurement in . I found this listed on car and driver , shows all the numbers https://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/ascent/specs
Yes and no. They use a trivial amount of the space.

The cup holders use a little space above some vital Ascent components hidden directly below them, such as the rear HVAC plumbing and air ducts on the passenger side. In addition, the wheel wells touch the inside plastic and sound panels.

I'm working in that area right now to try to run electrical for my fridge. There's no space, which is also the reason those cup holders are so very shallow.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Or is it the same 44" all the way forward?
45.5", which, not coincidentally, is the exact width of my Overlanding rig.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
249 Posts
Going off the car and driver specs it's 45.5 3rd row and 57.3 for the 2nd row, does that seem right? Not sure what Jax needs the specs for but my overly spoiled greyhounds are getting a padded mat for the back (all seats folded down) so knowing it bows out for the 2nd row is mighty helpful.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
That's exactly it, @Ascent4greyhounds - I think I beat you to it by seconds, lol!!! Car and Driver are correct about the dimensions. My overlanding setup is 1/2" too big, because the plastics I am using are "nominal cuts" and a tiny bit large (1/4" across the whole width), plus, I did a little bit of changes in the drawer placement to make it 1/4" wider. So, at 46", it doesn't fit without bending things.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm trying to fit the largest self-inflating camping-type mattress. My wife and I plan to forego a rooftop tent and sleep in the Subaru instead. Any "crates" we have in the back will be loaded on the roof rack once we're parked. The Big Agnes SLX Pad is trapezoidal shape but may not fit. Great if it did since we get more shoulder room. The Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Pad definitely will fit (it's 41"W x 72"L x 3.9"Thk). Would be nice to have some more width, hence the question about cargo dimensions.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
@JaxAero Luno Life looks a similar width.

You can maybe squeeze a double chamber one up to 46"/47"?

·
Registered
85 Posts
@JaxAero Luno Life looks a similar width.

You can maybe squeeze a double chamber one up to 46"/47"?
Awesome! Didn't know about these. The base extenders are great too. Now I don't have to gin up something.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
A nice thing about it is that you can choose to inflate only one half, to allow using the other half of the cargo area for storage. I took the liberty of emailing them a few minutes ago to ask them the dimensions. I will let you know what they say. Looks like about 41" from the pics I've seen in the Facebook group I help run.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
@JaxAero they said "Luno Mattress B" would be the best fit for the Ascent, and provided me these specs... I am asking them what the other sizes are.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts