Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is the 100th thread on this topic (honestly, I searched), but has anyone played around with adding cargo drawers and slide-outs to the back of their Ascent?

I'm looking to put storage in the back that will extend over the 3rd row and allow me to keep things organized for overlanding. Does anyone recommend brands that are particularly Subie friendly? Most of what I've seen has been for Toyotas and Jeeps.

I'd build my own, but I think plywood would end up being heavier than metal, so I'm looking for options that allow for storage - without taking up all the cargo load capacity.

Also, I'd love it if they weren't permanent. I saw some drawers that require bolting to the frame. I'd rather avoid that if possible.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I am looking into doing the same, but I am planning on using PVC or ABS and composite plastic panels. Been playing with a few to see what will handle high heat with the least amount of warping. I'm using standard heavy duty side and bottom sliders (such as the high weight ones Home Depot or Lowes sells (OR using server slides, which I may still have a bunch of - see image), and teflon slider pads.

To make them not permanent, I am using a three piece design. The left and right pieces will fit onto and against the cargo area side panels. The middle will slip in between and latch to the left and right ones. The fronts of each will have a removable "foot" and "headboard" combo that (foot) sits on the floor behind the 2nd row and ("headboard") sticks up to protect the back seats of the second row. Once the foot/head board is removed, the middle unit is unlatched and removed. Then, the left unit can be slid right and removed, and the right unit can be slid left and removed.

I wasn't planning an in vehicle cooking area, due to the really long liftgate, so, none of it was designed for cooking in/on. But, making one unit (or part of it) out of a cooking capable surface (top or a box of it), would allow a hot plate or whatever else built in.

You'll probably beat me to it, so, please share what you come up with and do. I have too many other things to do first, like my front or rear winch mount and wiring, temporary rock sliders, fog light installation, 360° camera and DVR system install, secondary backup camera with auto-cutover unit, hardwired inverter cables to the back, cargo platform lighting system, additional cargo area lighting in the headliner, CB radio hidden wire/plug pass through in roof, variable air suspension, etc. As it is, I already have all the parts for everything in blue, but have been too busy... so, storage will be 2029 at this rate, lol!!!

Heavy duty drawer slides are now being made exactly like server slides.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The PVC idea is interesting. I've done a lot of working building things out of PVC - even furniture! ;)

I just found a site that creates aluminum tubing and tubing connectors. Maybe this would be a more sturdy, lightweight, and heat resistant option?

Those are great drawer slides. I might even be able to use them in a different project I'm trying to sort out.

Regarding the cooktop, Overland and Outdoors has a video walkthrough of his custom Chuck Box, and he used sheet metal on the top where they put their Cook Partner stove. Maybe that'd be an easy solution? But I hear you on using the back for a kitchen. I was originally going to build out my own version of this Chuck Box to avoid working out of the back and risking draining the battery. Then I started looking at the pounds piling up...

If I do come up with something, I'll share it.

Your project list looks fun. I look forward to seeing your upgrades as you go!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts