Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had left home and was several miles away at a red traffic light. The light turned green, the car in front of me moved. I pressed the accelerator and was startled by beeping and flashing lights without any movement of the vehicle. I recall the screen saying something about All Vehicle Hold but after I shifted into park and back into drive, she moved and the alarms stopped. I have never touched the AVH button although I've been meaning to try it out. It was really unsettling and I hope it doesn't try anything like that while moving... Should I take it to the dealership?

I read on a thread a couple months ago about gas mileage and the radio presets. I'm over 2000 miles and the avg mpg is still only 16.5. My radio presets disappear every single day. I am not a fan of the "smart" car. It's trying to be smarted than me, which it is definitely not.

Also, when I use the autostart, the car thinks I want the AC on. Why can't I change that? I'm one of the people that hasn't read the manual yet so maybe there's some info in there for these issues.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Some tips...

I had left home and was several miles away at a red traffic light. The light turned green, the car in front of me moved. I pressed the accelerator and was startled by beeping and flashing lights without any movement of the vehicle. I recall the screen saying something about All Vehicle Hold but after I shifted into park and back into drive, she moved and the alarms stopped. I have never touched the AVH button although I've been meaning to try it out. It was really unsettling and I hope it doesn't try anything like that while moving... Should I take it to the dealership?
Are you sure it wasn't pre-collision braking? Those flash lights on the windshield at you and warnings on the dash. This is all explained in the manual.

I read on a thread a couple months ago about gas mileage and the radio presets. I'm over 2000 miles and the avg mpg is still only 16.5. My radio presets disappear every single day. I am not a fan of the "smart" car. It's trying to be smarted than me, which it is definitely not.
There's an update for your radio. Ask your dealer to install it, or find the thread on the forums that shows you how to do it if you have a model with navigation.

As for gas mileage, it took me a couple thousand miles for mine to normalize. I *can* get rated mpg, but I choose not to. The more you use that turbo, the worse your gas mileage will be. Many other factors affect it as well. For instance, if you live in a city like Queens, your gas mileage will be terrible due to constant stop and go and lots of idling.

Also, when I use the autostart, the car thinks I want the AC on. Why can't I change that? I'm one of the people that hasn't read the manual yet so maybe there's some info in there for these issues.
If you use the app to start the car, the car WILL turn on the AC, no matter what you do, IF the humidity and/or temperature is at a level where not turning it on will fog up your windows. Almost all cars do this - the Ascent just happens to light up the button so you know. It does not affect the temperature the car is warming to, but just removes moisture from the air.

Also, I know the manuals can be daunting. There are about a thousand pages of them. But, at least, start here, so you know all of what Eyesight does for you. Reading up on Eyesight is probably the single most important thing you can learn about your Ascent.

MUST READ INFO:
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...lane-keep-assist-adaptive-cruise-control.html

·
Registered
95 Posts
When you use the autostart it shows a temp you can adjust for the interior. I assume your starting the vehicle to warm it up due to the outside temp. Virtually every modern day car will also run the a/c to help with humidity control when ever the Auto heat/cool system is called upon. The car really doesn't care what you think, it knows that if you want it warm in here, I need to run the a/c a bit to help with humidity or window fog will occur. It's a matter of trust, kinda like the light in your refrigerator when you open the door, you expect it to go off when you close it, but unless you have climbed inside and shut the door to actually witness it going out. How can you be sure.
On your radio presets have you had the upgrades to the head unit applied, did you create a profile for yourself? Yep, a little time with the manual will go a long way.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't pre-collision braking? Those flash lights on the windshield at you and warnings on the dash. This is all explained in the manual.
@amahsee , "HOLD" ("stay stopped"), as a function of the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), will disengage when EyeSight has detected that the preceding vehicle has moved far away enough to safely engage ( EyeSight Owner's Manual: https://cdn.subarunet.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M1926B_STIS.pdf - page 59 [actual page, not the .pdf document page numbering] ).

This is separate from the AVH (Auto Vehicle Hold) feature engaged via your center console stand-alone control button.

amahsee, are you sure that it's not the preceding/surrounding vehicle(s)' exhaust vapors that was causing EyeSight Pre-Collision Braking to activate?

As Robert.Mauro noted, this behavior of the Pre-Collision Braking feature is well-described in the manual (in more than one spot).

@amahsee , also note that you will be able to simply press down further on the accelerator and "drive through" the obstacle, which includes the exhaust vapor scenario....

This behavior fits the following parameters in the Eyesight Supplement:

"When the system determines that operation by the driver (based on accel-erator pedal operation, braking, steering wheel angle, etc.) is intended asevasive action."

and

"If your vehicle is trapped on a railroad crossing and you are trying to escapeby driving through the crossing gate, the stereo camera may recognize thecrossing gate as an obstacle and Pre-Collision Throttle Management systemmay activate. In this case, remain calm and either continue to depress theaccelerator pedal or turn off the Pre-Collision Throttle Management system."

The EyeSight supplement manual referenced above notes on page 87 that it takes ~3 seconds of throttle input by the driver for the system to override Pre-Collision Throttle Management.

Depending on your exact traffic conditions, this may be quicker or slower than the time it takes for exhaust vapor to clear ( if you're stopped over/near a venting manhole cover, however, it's definitey gonna be sooner ;) ). You might still get a quick blip of the horn from an impatient driver following you, but more than likely, they won't even have looked up from their cell phone screen, yet. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts