Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened to us about 6 times in the month or so we've owned our Ascent. Other than this, we love the car.

When turning the car on, it seems that if you happen to move the shifter out of park too soon after pushing the power button, the car goes into a semi-powered on state. Engine won't start and the brake pedal won't let you push it down, but the radio is on. It stays like this for 30-60 seconds until you can turn it off and try again. Sometimes opening the door and closing it seems to help things along, but that's not consistent. Not being able to brake is scary, because if you happen to do this while you're on a hill, you'll start rolling and you can't stop.

Anyone else seen anything like this? We've reported to our dealer and are taking it in next week to have them take a look.

·
Administrator
12,151 Posts
Yes. That happens. Press and hold the start button next time and see if that works.

Regardless, eventually you will get used to the "push button" (slight pause) (car starts) sequence.

·
Registered
614 Posts
This has happened to us about 6 times in the month or so we've owned our Ascent. Other than this, we love the car.

When turning the car on, it seems that if you happen to move the shifter out of park too soon after pushing the power button, the car goes into a semi-powered on state. Engine won't start and the brake pedal won't let you push it down, but the radio is on. It stays like this for 30-60 seconds until you can turn it off and try again. Sometimes opening the door and closing it seems to help things along, but that's not consistent. Not being able to brake is scary, because if you happen to do this while you're on a hill, you'll start rolling and you can't stop.

Anyone else seen anything like this? We've reported to our dealer and are taking it in next week to have them take a look.

My Outback did the same if I "slammed" it into reverse immediately. Just need to give it a moment to get started! I wait for the Infotainment Center to load first.

·
Administrator
12,151 Posts
Thanks. It's a pretty jarring experience. I don't have this problem in my push button Prius. Ideally this could be improved somehow, at least to enable the brake pedal.
The Ascent has a few things it does before starting. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes. That happens. And not just in Ascent
I use my personal sequence .. to avoid it..
"push button"> "seat belt" > "shifter"
I had to make this adjustment as well since I was used to using a key in my Xterra. I switched to putting my seat belt on or plugging in my phone for Android Auto instead of putting it in reverse and that seemed to work.

If this does happen click the start/stop button again then open your driver door and that will reset it so you can start it again. At least that is what I did the few times this has happened.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It’s always been a good idea to allow the idle to smooth out and oil to pump up fully before you put it in gear. That pause after you start is a good thing for all cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just found this thread and think this may be the reason for my Ascent "temporarily" not starting a few times. Though it seems like something Subaru should have thought out better, I think I can adjust my actions most of the time to avoid this happening by pausing after starting and before shifting into gear.

However, one thing I read really concerns me: that if I were to forget one time and I was on a hill, that the brakes might not work to hold the car in place??? Is this true?

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
However, one thing I read really concerns me: that if I were to forget one time and I was on a hill, that the brakes might not work to hold the car in place??? Is this true?
When parking on a hill you should always apply the parking brake. Even when you’re not on a hill it’s a good practice to apply it. Aside from a massive hydraulic brake failure as you shift out of park there’s no reason the brakes plus the parking brake wouldn’t hold you still on a hill.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Happened to me - parked on a hill and thought maybe that contributed. Took about 10 minutes to work again. I had dropped an elderly relative off while I went to park, and I was stressed worrying about her by the road waiting for me to park.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to say this is about the only thing I hate about the Ascent. When this happens and it's parked on a hill, it can be very scary. The power brakes don't work, you can't turn the car on, etc. What I've found is that you have to take your foot all the way off the brake and then put it back on before you can start the car, but when you do that you start to roll. It seems like a major flaw of the Ascent and extremely dangerous.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just had this happen to me yesterday and looked up how to solve it. Nothing worked. I opened/closed the doors, pushed/held the start button, nothing. I ended up just detaching the battery and reattaching it. It reset everything and it started up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FWIW, this happened to me several times in the very beginning of owning the car...and then it never happened again. It's like the car grew out of it or something. But while it was happening, it was very disconcerting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts