Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our new Ascent for 5 whole days. Tonight, the engine won't turn over when the button is pushed. All the lights remain on, and won't turn off. The doors will not lock, as it says the engine is running. We're going to have to get it towed, and postpone our planned road trip. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
39 Posts
We've had our new Ascent for 5 whole days. Tonight, the engine won't turn over when the button is pushed. All the lights remain on, and won't turn off. The doors will not lock, as it says the engine is running. We're going to have to get it towed, and postpone our planned road trip. Anyone else have this issue?
Pull the wires off the battery and wait 2 minutes, reconnect battery and try to start the vehicle. This is not professional advice, do this at your own risk, it's what I'd do though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My car did not start one fine morning, had lights on, then rear door was beeping, eventually no lights were there, I called for jump start it got started, possibly bad battery cell will ask my dealer to check it out, 1 week over no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had this happen on my Outback when I "slammed in into Reverse" before the car had a moment to fully Start. Now I wait for the Infotainment center to load as an indication it's "ready". Funny thing, when I did that (hit Reverse so quick) I had seconds thoughts about that being good for the car.

I did call AAA when this happened. He did a jump start and said there was nothing wrong with the battery. The jump start got it going/starting okay.

·
Registered
978 Posts
How does doing this help correct the no-start problem?
I call it the Microsoft moment. Modern cars will no doubt have computer malfunctions at some point be it power related, user actions related or simply just a faulty part. First 25,000 miles is called the electronics honey moon in the car industry. First 25,000 miles have the highest rate of electrics failures after 25k electronic failures drop to near zero for a long period.

Basically any flawed electrical component will fail in the first 25,000 miles. There is a scientific reason for the typical 30’sh thousand mile manufacturers warranty. Its not 30k because the dart hit that number in the CEOs office.

·
Registered
965 Posts
How does doing this help correct the no-start problem?
You're doing a hard reboot to everything, removing the power source AND draining what's in the system.

Same thing as doing a full power cycle on your desktop computer or your iPhone or Android. Sometimes they just need it.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
You're doing a hard reboot to everything, removing the power source AND draining what's in the system.

Same thing as doing a full power cycle on your desktop computer or your iPhone or Android. Sometimes they just need it.
if owners are frustrated with the electronics on this vehicle, just wait until all the cars are EV and increasingly drives on its own. that is when i get my old bike out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts