Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our new Ascent for 5 whole days. Tonight, the engine won't turn over when the button is pushed. All the lights remain on, and won't turn off. The doors will not lock, as it says the engine is running. We're going to have to get it towed, and postpone our planned road trip. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
39 Posts
We've had our new Ascent for 5 whole days. Tonight, the engine won't turn over when the button is pushed. All the lights remain on, and won't turn off. The doors will not lock, as it says the engine is running. We're going to have to get it towed, and postpone our planned road trip. Anyone else have this issue?
Pull the wires off the battery and wait 2 minutes, reconnect battery and try to start the vehicle. This is not professional advice, do this at your own risk, it's what I'd do though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My car did not start one fine morning, had lights on, then rear door was beeping, eventually no lights were there, I called for jump start it got started, possibly bad battery cell will ask my dealer to check it out, 1 week over no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had this happen on my Outback when I "slammed in into Reverse" before the car had a moment to fully Start. Now I wait for the Infotainment center to load as an indication it's "ready". Funny thing, when I did that (hit Reverse so quick) I had seconds thoughts about that being good for the car.

I did call AAA when this happened. He did a jump start and said there was nothing wrong with the battery. The jump start got it going/starting okay.

·
Registered
978 Posts
How does doing this help correct the no-start problem?
I call it the Microsoft moment. Modern cars will no doubt have computer malfunctions at some point be it power related, user actions related or simply just a faulty part. First 25,000 miles is called the electronics honey moon in the car industry. First 25,000 miles have the highest rate of electrics failures after 25k electronic failures drop to near zero for a long period.

Basically any flawed electrical component will fail in the first 25,000 miles. There is a scientific reason for the typical 30’sh thousand mile manufacturers warranty. Its not 30k because the dart hit that number in the CEOs office.

·
Registered
965 Posts
How does doing this help correct the no-start problem?
You're doing a hard reboot to everything, removing the power source AND draining what's in the system.

Same thing as doing a full power cycle on your desktop computer or your iPhone or Android. Sometimes they just need it.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
You're doing a hard reboot to everything, removing the power source AND draining what's in the system.

Same thing as doing a full power cycle on your desktop computer or your iPhone or Android. Sometimes they just need it.
if owners are frustrated with the electronics on this vehicle, just wait until all the cars are EV and increasingly drives on its own. that is when i get my old bike out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has your issue been resolved? We had this happen four times in the first few months, then it was fine for a year. Yesterday it happened again, all electronics turned on and froze, could not start car. After an hour the electric powered on and I was able to start car. Subaru service says since they can't duplicate it, they can't fix it (even though I provided them video footage). I have take the car in three times for this. Wondering if anyone else has had resolution.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had this happen to me too. I turned the steering wheel a bit & the car started (Push Button). I think there must be some sort of interlock between the starter button & steering wheel lock. Happens with a key starter too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this happen to me too. I turned the steering wheel a bit & the car started (Push Button). I think there must be some sort of interlock between the starter button & steering wheel lock. Happens with a key starter too.
Thanks for the idea. I unfortunately tried that to no avail. Glad it works for you, as it's a lot easier than unplugging the battery as others apparently have to do.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
This happens is there is too much tension on the steering wheel locking mechanism for it to unlock by itself without turning the wheel. There is actually a brief message displayed on the Combination Meter between the guages that says "Turn wheel to start car" but it goes away quickly and leaves you wondering what the heck is going on. You have to turn everything off and try again to see the message.

This had me buffaloed for a few minutes until I saw the message, everything looks like the car is running but it's not.

In my case I had stopped while backing out of the garage and had the wheels turned to full lock and was on an incline that put uneven tension on the steering rack.

Reactions: packout

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,228 Posts
I've had a number of vehicles that occasionally had the wheel lock in a position that disallowed starting without some physical persuasion. In one instance, I couldn't get the key OUT after turning off the vehicle...which was uncomfortable because it was in a retail store parking lot. :) (That car didn't have push button start, but did have a funky wheel lock)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 15 of 15 Posts