Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 ascent. Today I went to clean the glass on the outside of the car. I was going to move ,But the car won't start.The dashboad said the camera sensor was not functioning
right. Then I couldn't roll up the Windows and the tailgate started beeping. Finally the battery alarm went off. How does one fix this problem? I did take off the battery cables but to no luck.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
130 Posts
Alternatively if you have a battery charger throw it on for an hour or 2. It probably wont give you enough juice to start, it but you should be able to get the windows up after that. And also have a better idea of the culprit....

·
Registered
2021 ascent limited ice silver
41 Posts
Sounds like a dead battery. Have it checked almost anywhere car batteries are sold.
I have a 2019 ascent. Today I went to clean the glass on the outside of the car. I was going to move ,But the car won't start.The dashboad said the camera sensor was not functioning
right. Then I couldn't roll up the Windows and the tailgate started beeping. Finally the battery alarm went off. How does one fix this problem? I did take off the battery cables but to no luck.
it sound like dead battery since everything on new cars is electronic it needs a steady solid power ,,disturb that by not enough volts in battery and all goes to s;;t. lol hope its just that......... good luck !!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Do you have kids? My kids leaves the interior lights on sometimes lol. Dead battery. It's happen a couple times now so I Just got me one of them portable chargers. They work like a charm. Just don't turn off the car. The battery will charge back up once you drive it a good distance for alternator to charge it up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It seems there is renewed activity in the Class Action lawsuit against Subaru regarding dead batteries.
1) The article asserts, that repeated short trip driving results in the power problem.
2) lesanek (above) sort said, these vehicles are constantly draining the battery while not operating due to all the electronics.
3) Question: Is that like saying, all of the STARLINK / MySubaru equipment is draining the battery while it just sits in the driveway and when you drive for only quick little trips to the corner store, the engine isn't running long enough to charge the battery back up?
4) Question: Aside from Subaru engineering a better power solution, would replacing the battery with a better one (say an AGM) result in longer / better power availability?

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Nothing in a Torque News "article" should ever be considered accurate or fact without researching every claim there - especially when Denis Flierl is shilling for law firms on his clickbait site. FYI, I've told Denis my opinion, many times. His love/hate Subaru posts continue unabated (seriously, in any given month, Subaru is both the best brand and worst brand out there, per his "articles" - click his article list and check for yourself), but, at least he's finally stopped "borrowing" my pics without asking, LOL (and I didn't even ask him to)!!!

Nothing in a pre-trial Class Action lawsuit should be considered accurate or fact, without researching the matter extremely thoroughly - they throw everything at the courts, hoping some things stick.

As for the power "problems", you will find an entire FB group seemingly dedicated to it, but, in actuality, more dedicated to hiding the reality (the fixes) in order to push the law firm's class action, and their spurious and in some cases ridiculously ludicrous claims. Seriously, they'd rather bitch and lie about how there's no fix, and applaud the class action lawsuit, instead of getting their car fixed or sharing the fix info with others.

The vehicles constantly use power - but it is not enough to drain the battery unless it sits for quite some time (over a month, to multiple months, per the math someone else did).

If there's a battery drain, per the reports in these forums and the Facebook group I also help run, people are reporting it's generally caused by the following:
  • bad liftgate controller that needs replacing
  • keyfob being stored near the car (within 6.6' of the car, or in a garage where the signal reflects)
  • liftgate being left open on an Ascent with an old liftgate controller that isn't timing out in 20 minutes
  • In rare cases, a bad BCM module
  • In rare cases, a bad battery
In some cases, after a liftgate/BCM controller is replaced, the problem persists because the battery was already damaged (but not replaced when it should have been).

Those are all resolvable, and, for the ones that require components, Subaru has already stepped up, contrary to the lawsuit, or anything Flierl posts on his clickbait site.

I had mine fixed a while back, and used a clamping meter on my car to test it - everything works perfectly now, and there's no draw or drain.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Nothing in a Torque News "article" should ever be considered accurate or fact without researching every claim there - especially when Denis Flierl is shilling for law firms on his clickbait site. FYI, I've told Denis my opinion, many times. His love/hate Subaru posts continue unabated (seriously, in any given month, Subaru is both the best brand and worst brand out there, per his "articles" - click his article list and check for yourself), but, at least he's finally stopped "borrowing" my pics without asking, LOL (and I didn't even ask him to)!!!

Nothing in a pre-trial Class Action lawsuit should be considered accurate or fact, without researching the matter extremely thoroughly - they throw everything at the courts, hoping some things stick.

As for the power "problems", you will find an entire FB group seemingly dedicated to it, but, in actuality, more dedicated to hiding the reality (the fixes) in order to push the law firm's class action, and their spurious and in some cases ridiculously ludicrous claims. Seriously, they'd rather bitch and lie about how there's no fix, and applaud the class action lawsuit, instead of getting their car fixed or sharing the fix info with others.

The vehicles constantly use power - but it is not enough to drain the battery unless it sits for quite some time (over a month, to multiple months, per the math someone else did).

If there's a battery drain, per the reports in these forums and the Facebook group I also help run, people are reporting it's generally caused by the following:
  • bad liftgate controller that needs replacing
  • keyfob being stored near the car (within 6.6' of the car, or in a garage where the signal reflects)
  • liftgate being left open on an Ascent with an old liftgate controller that isn't timing out in 20 minutes
  • In rare cases, a bad BCM module
  • In rare cases, a bad battery
In some cases, after a liftgate/BCM controller is replaced, the problem persists because the battery was already damaged (but not replaced when it should have been).

Those are all resolvable, and, for the ones that require components, Subaru has already stepped up, contrary to the lawsuit, or anything Flierl posts on his clickbait site.

I had mine fixed a while back, and used a clamping meter on my car to test it - everything works perfectly now, and there's no draw or drain.
just think of those class action suits as scam calls. enough receivers of the calls believe it so the scammers make money. It is easy to pronounce an intent to file a class action (this brings many to hope (kinda like buying a lottery ticket - except even if you win, you would barely get the ticket price back). If a case is accepted by the court for class action status, the push begins for settlement, which was the desired result for the filers to begin with. I agree with Robert. Pay no mind until adjudication is complete and even then put in context.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts