Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received my Ascent Limited, Abyss Blue, 8 Passenger. After about 800 miles, it has got some road dirt and I need to plan to get it cleaned. I'm unable to do such myself so a car wash is my only solution. What to be careful about and what advice does the Ascent community have on this?

I noted that on page 30 of the EyeSight Manual that it suggests shutting off the "Pre-Collision Braking System Switch" when using a car wash, which is located above the driver seat on the right side of the center upper console. I think to do so, one needs to press and hold the switch for approximately 2 seconds or longer in order to turn that switch off. After the car wash, remember to press and turn the switch back on. I think that there should have been a more bolder and emphatic warning on this as can you imagine what would happen if the car's brakes were automatically applied in the middle of a car wash!

Are there any other switches to turn off? How about the Lane Departure Warning Switch which is located above and left of the Pre-Collision Braking System Switch? Should that be turned off?

My previous mid-sized SUV was a 2015 Toyota Highlander XLE. When it was delivered the sales person advised using a special locking button for the rear hatch door when the car went thru a car wash as he heard of the rear hatch door opening when brushes or power water hits the rear latch for the door. In the Highlander, there is a special lock button in the glove compartment to lock the rear hatch door, but I don't think the Ascent has such a special lock. And I'm unaware of any similar type issue or warning for the Ascent. Any thoughts?

I read the advice elsewhere about not using Rain-X and I have no intention of using it or anything similar on the windshield. But many will recall the white, pink and powder blue "stuff" that they shoot onto the car as it travels thru the car wash. Probably some form of soap, cleanser, and wax and who knows what else. I wonder if that might similarly affect the Subaru EyeSight system like Rain-X on the windshield. Anyone have any comment on this?

Any other thoughts and comments regarding using drive thru car washes for your Ascent (other than don't use them)?

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
The Rain-X they squirted on mine is streaking. I am cleaning it off and hand washing myself from now on.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'd love to wash by hand, but in the winter months when its not snowing but freezing (or we just got some snow on the ground) and the road salt and grime builds up I may be forced to use some sort of car wash; because I won't hand wash in that weather (mostly because I'll have had already wrapped up my hoses and disconnected them

I could maybe do a touchless wash, but those suck something HORRIBLE.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd love to wash by hand, but in the winter months when its not snowing but freezing (or we just got some snow on the ground) and the road salt and grime builds up I may be forced to use some sort of car wash; because I won't hand wash in that weather (mostly because I'll have had already wrapped up my hoses and disconnected them

I could maybe do a touchless wash, but those suck something HORRIBLE.
Optimum No Rinse

https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html?productid=optimum-no-rinse&channelid=BIZRA

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was looking to get the sea salt spray off of the Ascent today and went to a local place that washes cars using a similar technique and environmentally safe products. They claim they only use about a cup of water per car. Unfortunately, there was a 1.5 hr wait, so I had to pass. I think I may try them in the future or even try the stuff @Orestes85 mentioned.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This stuff looks nice... but I'd love to hear some feedback from someone who lives in the snowbelt and has experience with a product like this. Lets just say... I'm skeptical about how well it works when my vehicle has layer upon layer of road salt on it.

Also, this obviously doesn't do anything about removing salt from the undercarriage of the car, which is just as damaging in the winter.

(I'm NOT saying car washes are great... I use them very rarely myself... but I dont know what the right answer really is, for those of us stuck up north in a lot of snow)

·
Registered
217 Posts
This stuff looks nice... but I'd love to hear some feedback from someone who lives in the snowbelt and has experience with a product like this. Lets just say... I'm skeptical about how well it works when my vehicle has layer upon layer of road salt on it.

Also, this obviously doesn't do anything about removing salt from the undercarriage of the car, which is just as damaging in the winter.

(I'm NOT saying car washes are great... I use them very rarely myself... but I dont know what the right answer really is, for those of us stuck up north in a lot of snow)
I put two coats of this on and it looks great and should last a year.
https://www.autogeek.net/klashiggloss.html

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm planning to do premium hand wash (self), clay bar and apply chemical guy Jetseal and wax before the winter and may be 1 or 2 touchless in the winter (weather permits). But, I really don't want to do regular drive thru wash. Ours is CWP and it takes very less swirl marks compared to others, but still NO regular car washes.

·
Registered
932 Posts
There's a "steam wash" place near me that just opened. It's a little (lot) more expensive - we're talking about $20-25 per car wash for an SUV of this size, almost like a mini detail, but I may go with that over the winter months since it's "touchless" as needed, and then just do it myself in the spring/summer/fall. Hopefully I can get a good mini-detailing on it (Wax) before the winter to help, too.

·
Registered
304 Posts

I'm planning to do premium hand wash (self), clay bar and apply chemical guy Jetseal and wax before the winter and may be 1 or 2 touchless in the winter (weather permits). But, I really don't want to do regular drive thru wash. Ours is CWP and it takes very less swirl marks compared to others, but still NO regular car washes.
AMMONYC makes a product called FROTHethat he uses for hoseless washing and recommends for winter. However, it's more of a maintenance wash than a de-salt/crud/mud wash. When you have caked on crud you need a pressure wash to blast all the crud away and a foam to lift surface contaminants away from the paint. ONR/FROTHe aren't designed for that type of washing. It's a routine maintenance product rather than a "fix this issue" type product...and salt is definitely a "fix this issue" type of thing.

Re FROTHe:

"AMMO FROTHe Hoseless Lift is a 20x concentrate Humectant that creates a thick shaving cream-like foam to protect the surface of your paint from scratching during a hoseless wash. FROTHe can be use on wet OR dry paint and does not require a final rinse. The concentrated formula will create 30-35 hoseless washing per 16oz. bottle. Perfect for apartment dwellers, drought or water restricted areas, on the road with no hose, and winter cleaning. "

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have already gone through the touchless wash here in MD at the Carroll Fuel stations. While they don't get the car really clean they are good for removing salt from underneath the car and getting the initial dust off the car. I always opt for the cheapest option which doesn't use nearly as much wax as I don't want it to touch the windshield.

No issues with any of the safety features on the car so far with the few times I have had it cleaned.

I also tried "The Last Coat" and wasn't impressed especially for the price.

·
Registered
287 Posts
AMMONYC makes a product called FROTHethat he uses for hoseless washing and recommends for winter. However, it's more of a maintenance wash than a de-salt/crud/mud wash. When you have caked on crud you need a pressure wash to blast all the crud away and a foam to lift surface contaminants away from the paint. ONR/FROTHe aren't designed for that type of washing. It's a routine maintenance product rather than a "fix this issue" type product...and salt is definitely a "fix this issue" type of thing.

Re FROTHe:

"AMMO FROTHe Hoseless Lift is a 20x concentrate Humectant that creates a thick shaving cream-like foam to protect the surface of your paint from scratching during a hoseless wash. FROTHe can be use on wet OR dry paint and does not require a final rinse. The concentrated formula will create 30-35 hoseless washing per 16oz. bottle. Perfect for apartment dwellers, drought or water restricted areas, on the road with no hose, and winter cleaning. "
I thought of buying that, but the aerator it self is like over $60. I had to use it, since I live in an apartment. So, I bought one from Amazon and will use with other car wash products I have. Hopefully it won't disappoint me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I also run into an issue of some places just flat out being closed in the winter months; I suppose a pressure wash station wouldn't be the worse, just gotta dry it really well... I do like the idea of the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine option. May have to look into that.

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
to answer your original question - i've gone thru several different drive thru car washes and never turned off any of the eyesight features. so far no problems.
Didn't we discuss this in another thread regarding eyesight? Something about going against the advice of the engineers, and then wondering why?

You may go through 50 times and have no issues. Then that one time ...

Also, having been in a Subaru where I've forgotten to turn eyesight off when going through the carwash, and having it slam the brakes on, I can definitely say it can and does happen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I only use touchless, laser car washes for both my Ascent and Outback Touring because the car is stopped and in park when in the car wash so there is no need to turn off the eyesight features. My Subaru dealership did advise to turn off all eyesight features if I plan on using a drive through car wash which only makes sense, because, your front end pre-collision feature will sense the brushes in front of you when the car is moving and will activate the braking if it is not turned off. The switch up above on the Ascent is an improvement over my 2017 Outback for ease of finding it when wanting to quickly turn it off. I live in the Lake Erie snow belt region and I do like using the laser, touchless wash in the winter for the undercarriage spray.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A friend of mine uses that on his Subaru Legacy on a regular basis, he does it in his garage all winter long, but does use a touchless wash to get the winter off of it first. The one he goes to has the undercarriage wash.

By all appearance the Optimum works great. He gave me a sample amount but Ive never done it. We have a local soft cloth car wash that is extremely affordable and very well maintained that I always use instead my car looks great! Just took my Ascent there for the first time today (Ive had it 10 days), came out great!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts