Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I belong to a local car wash where I can go through daily if I like. The only issue I have is the high speed drying fans at the end. So far, every time through the car wash, the rear window wiper is blown so it is sticking straight out rather than resting on the glass.
So, at the end of the car wash I have to get out of the Ascent and put the rear wiper down. Anyone else have this issue.

I know, first world problems...

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Here's an idea I saw the pros use...

I belong to a local car wash where I can go through daily if I like. The only issue I have is the high speed drying fans at the end. So far, every time through the car wash, the rear window wiper is blown so it is sticking straight out rather than resting on the glass.
So, at the end of the car wash I have to get out of the Ascent and put the rear wiper down. Anyone else have this issue.

I know, first world problems...
Happens, sadly. Had that problem with other cars too. The trick they use in the assistant run ones is painters tape or similar tape that won't leave residue, then they clean the wiper area and where the tape was by hand. A little extra work, but it keeps one's wiper arms intact. :tango_face_wink:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
I was going to mention that the car wash I most frequently use slaps a piece of blue painter's tape on SUV/Wagon rear wipers as a normal thing...but see Robert already mentioned it. :)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
816 Posts
What they said ^^^^
You can have a roll handy put it on yourself,must be a liability thing cause I haven’t that practice in awhile

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
I don't think that the car wash can be held liable for non-OEM "attachments" (and most have that posted pretty clearly), but they may have to pony up for something that was on a vehicle from the factory like a wiper that gets damaged by their gear. I've never had a problem with a rear wiper getting moved, but I've often had side mirrors "folded" by aggressive machines in some car washes, resulting in my having to pull to the side after exiting to put them back in place.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I've had good luck using the plastic sleeve that's available at my local car wash, I have to ask for it to be put on. So far, that has kept the wiper from getting snagged in the brushes and it stays in place with the pretty aggressive blowers. Maybe it smooths out the sharp edges a bit so the air flows over better.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Between the recent weather and my lack of time it has been 1 1/2 weeks or so since I washed the Ascent. I was feeling guilty. Today I only had time for an inside detail and a good rinse outside. The ascent and I are much happier. I also purchased everything I need for a good TLC hand washing (specialty brushes, towels, foam cannon, cleaning agents and a pressure washer). In two weeks I plan on doing a good claying on the Ascent. I guess I'm all in. The only concern is that my neighbors will be lining up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes it happened to me twice already!

Next time I will floor the gas pedal on my way off the car wash and when I get to 100 miles an hour precisely I will jump on the brake pedal with my two legs... Hopefully I will be able to report that the problem is solved....:dunno:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone have issues with eyesight going through the car wash? We have a car wash locally that pulls you through the wash while you sit in the car. Our dealer told us we'd need to turn off the eyesight prior to going through the wash. We've not tried it yet, wondering what others do....?

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
Toga333, I've taken my spouse's MY16 Outback Limited with Eyesight through the car wash innumerable times with no issues. Note, the only car washes I use are those where I stay in the vehicle. Engine is running and the drivetrain is just in Neutral. No meessages and no weird behavior observed.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
The manual states to turn off eyesight while going through the car wash...
And it's a good idea to always turn off Auto Vehicle Hold in any roller/pull through car wash where an attendant drives the vehicle into the tunnel.

I did a video for those who don't know how to turn off the system, or who want to see why it's a good idea, even when the car is in neutral (pre-collision braking still works in neutral).

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I tested the AVH and the car wash and I can tell you from experience that the rollers will just bump your Ascent as they go by. Then you feel silly trying to figure out what just happened. Then under pressure you forget where AVH button is and get bumped by a couple more rollers going by before turning it off.

OK it wasn't really a test.....It happened to a friend....OK it was really me:tango_face_surprise:disappointed:

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I tested the AVH and the car wash and I can tell you from experience that the rollers will just bump your Ascent as they go by. Then you feel silly trying to figure out what just happened. Then under pressure you forget where AVH button is and get bumped by a couple more rollers going by before turning it off.

OK it wasn't really a test.....It happened to a friend....OK it was really me:tango_face_surprise:disappointed:
Yep, it'll yank it's way under, or get stuck (Carl had an issue with that). I suspect either has gotta be brutal on the stock 20's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ok, dumb question on my part but is the "pre collision braking" switch/button the same thing as "eyesight detection"?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Not quite...

ok, dumb question on my part but is the "pre collision braking" switch/button the same thing as "eyesight detection"?
Not quite. The manual refers to "Eyesight detects...". When Eyesight detects something, it doesn't necessarily do anything. It always detects things. If it thinks you have the potential to crash into it, it will alert you. If (after alerting you) it thinks you've waited too long to react and it thinks a crash is more imminent, it will then enable pre-collision braking, which is designed to prevent rear ending someone or crashing into something, or mitigating the force of such impacts.

https://www.facebook.com/SubaruAmbassadorRobert/posts/2554379431269733

1 - 20 of 28 Posts