Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove to VT this weekend. after 2 hrs of driving with cruise on set to 70mph I start feeling the car jerking when it is climbing hill. Not a shudder but sharp jerks. Mpg drops like a rock. Took it off cruise and pressed hard on the accelerator and same issue. Jerked snd stuttered then would go. We had just fueled up so my guess was bad gas. Stopped, filled with high test and added fuel additive. Mpg went up and no issues for the next hour or while driving around town. Ride home now, after about the same miles and time driven, the issue reoccurs. This time I pressed on and did not stop. Except for a refuel stop again with high test early in the trip back. Mpg dropped. Tach would spool up and then go. Much worse with cruise on. With cruise on it was not as bad and I got mpg to go up but no where near normal. This trip the car usually gets almost 26mpg. This weekend I got 20mpg. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I would bring it into a dealership and have it looked at. Have oil changes been done at other than a dealership? Sounds like a clutch failure in the torque converter or CVT. How many miles, and what model year?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would bring it into a dealership and have it looked at. Have oil changes been done at other than a dealership? Sounds like a clutch failure in the torque converter or CVT. How many miles, and what model year?
2019 Touring 24000 miles. All service done on time at dealership we purchased from.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Excellent. Did you have the CVT TSB/Recall performed? You can check to see if it was marked completed here:

If this is something they can easily replicate, I suspect they will be either causing a lockup clutch relearn, or installing a new CVT for you. It could be as simple as getting the computer to relearn how to achieve a clutch lockup. Crossing fingers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent. Did you have the CVT TSB/Recall performed? You can check to see if it was marked completed here:

If this is something they can easily replicate, I suspect they will be installing a new CVT for you.
All TSBs have been done. Think they did the CVT one 2 oil changes ago. Last one was a fuel TSB if I remember correctly. Wife is taking it in tonight. Replicating is has me concerned because both times it occurred were 2hrs of driving snd approximately 150 or so miles. Told them to be thorough and we want a loner. Hoping they do a solid job. Around town it's been fine. Only just started on this road trip. Other than this issue we have loved the car.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I am surprised Robert "liked" this recommendation, as he certainly would be against filming while driving.
There's ways to safely film while driving. In my particular state, failing to do so is very expensive. The fine isn't horrible, but the five points on the license will kill insurance rates, and push one almost half of the way to a license suspension (11 points in 18 months).

I admit, I do have a tendency to state the obvious when recommending people collect data for such purposes - being both an Ambassador and a civil servant, it's in part to be clear that I am not suggesting breaking the law to do something... and it's in part because I do like when people are cognizant of avoiding the risks associated with doing things. I doubt I'll break the habit any time soon. 😉

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's ways to safely film while driving. In my particular state, failing to do so is very expensive. The fine isn't horrible, but the five points on the license will kill insurance rates, and push one almost half of the way to a license suspension (11 points in 18 months).

I admit, I do have a tendency to state the obvious when recommending people collect data for such purposes - being both an Ambassador and a civil servant, it's in part to be clear that I am not suggesting breaking the law to do something... and it's in part because I do like when people are cognizant of avoiding the risks associated with doing things. I doubt I'll break the habit any time soon. 😉
The "we" in Keith's initial post implies that there were multiple people in the vehicle and the passenger certainly could have shot some video.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
The "we" in Keith's initial post implies that there were multiple people in the vehicle and the passenger certainly could have shot some video.
Yep, and that would be a safe way. 😉

·
Registered
561 Posts
My phone rides in my shirt pocket with the camera in movie mode so all I have to do is press the 'record' button. It captures the dash instruments fine. I tried it from my visor, but the angle wouldn't work.
I imagine a GoPro would work too and since that is not a phone, perhaps it wouldn't incur a ticket, fine or points. Perhaps someone could comment on that option. My GoPro can mount anywhere and has a wrist strap that has buttons for power on/off as well as record start/stop. Normally my GoPro mounts on the top of my helmet and I can't see it, so the watch band controls are great when I'm wanting to capture a video while riding my motorcycle, skiing or kayak fishing.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I have a gazillion clamps and such. The one advantage of buying really cheap action cams are they come with as many as a dozen attachment pieces, which work interchangeably with my GoPro and some of my other smaller cameras.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, naturally it couldn't be replicated. Told them the issue did not occur running short trips, it was after nearly the same time and mileage with the same conditions on the same road and having cruise on made it worse. They want to keep the car and give it a run to Boston, which is mostly flat terrain and would not put the car in the same run time and distance. The TSB was done 11/22/2019. I'm calling to ask if they did the TSB test again or just glossed over it as being done already "so it can't be that". We use the Ascent to drive almost to Canada with the family to snowmobile so it's not comforting to use the "well let us know if it does it again or gets worse" because that could mean hours in sub zero temps waiting for roadside assist if it gets real bad and can't limp it somewhere warm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts